Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Week by week pregnancy book/diary recommendation please!

(15 Posts)
McDreamy Mon 14-Jul-08 09:44:48

Various people have told me how good some of these kinds of books are especially when it comes to facts about baby for DD to look up but when I looked on Amazon there are loads of them!!

Can anyone recommend one? I want a fairly simple one with lots of pictures and interesting but straight forward baby facts.

McDreamy Mon 14-Jul-08 17:30:33

Bump

MiniMarmite Tue 15-Jul-08 19:18:22

I really like the "your pregnancy week by week" book see this link for reviews on amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-3425497-4489456?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pregnanc y+week+by+week

It has amazing photography and is written very clearly.

It is quite detailed, which I liked, but not confusing. The thing I liked most about it was that it gave loads of information but was not patronising or opinionated. I felt guilty or under pressure about certain things (food, home births etc) with other books but not this one.

It's not strictly week by week but tends to deal with a few weeks at a time giving details of a specific week in places.

chonky Tue 15-Jul-08 19:25:23

I loved The Rough Guide to Pregnancy - informative and funny (a rare combo in a pregnancy book). It gives a week by wek account.

Rough Guide

McDreamy Wed 16-Jul-08 13:24:07

Thank you I will look into both of them smile

Legoleia Wed 16-Jul-08 13:30:57

what to expect when you're expecting was a fab one

notcitrus Wed 16-Jul-08 17:51:14

The Rough Guide is great (my pregnancy seems to be roughly following it!) - good cartoons too.
It had a bit more detail than 'What to expect...'

Shorter with more simplistic detail was the free 'Emma's Diary' from the GP, and the NHS 'Your Pregnancy' from the midwife at booking-in was very good from the bureaucracy point of view. I think both can be ordered free online if you haven't been given them.

Not that my initial response to pregnancy was to read everything I could lay my hands on, noooo.... blush

IdrisTheDragon Wed 16-Jul-08 17:51:56

I loved the Rough Guide as well.

BrightShinySun Wed 16-Jul-08 18:09:12

Just to let you know mcdreamy i got the rough guide one and was disappointed its more of a story of someone elses pg and not a lot of facts,only random cartoon pics. If u want more details id go for another. smile

Qally Sat 19-Jul-08 09:57:58

I was disappointed by Rough Guide as well. Reviews on Amazon rave about Your Pregnancy Bible, but having seen it in Borders I haven't bothered, either. Really I gave up on pregnancy books around the time I got SPD, and realised I'd been ignoring the symptoms and making it far worse because NONE of them - from Miriam Stoppard to What to Expect - mentioned it, so I'd thought that level of pain must be normal. And as 1 in 38 have SPD (and if you're double jointed and have had hormone problems before, you're almost guaranteed to) perhaps discussing it would be more useful than the reams on rare complications.

Mumsnet is more use, quite frankly.

WarmFuzzy Sat 19-Jul-08 10:01:54

The Rough Guide made me laugh out loud a few times.

loler Sat 19-Jul-08 10:07:58

I loved the rough guide and have bought it for a few other people who have all (told me?!) they loved it too. There is a story of someone elses pg but the first bit each week is fact based. Gives amusing facts that you can share with your dd like comparing the size of the baby to various fruit and veg.

Not very medically but fun.

ellideb Sat 19-Jul-08 10:13:23

My fave book was the one by Lesley Regan- Your Pregnancy Week by Week, it was the most informative and reassuring and seemed to cover pratically everything. Like another MN'er said, the best place for RL advice though is definately here! I've learned more here then in any book I've read!

Heartmum2Jamie Sat 19-Jul-08 12:25:27

I have Your pregnancy week by week and find it interesting and informative without being patronising and this is my 3rd baby, lol! Plus, my boys like looking at the illustration of what baby looks like that week.

SazzlesA Sat 19-Jul-08 12:52:52

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now