Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Will any UK doctors medicate for extreme m/s?

(17 Posts)
Beatie Fri 04-Feb-05 10:45:28

I've spoken to my doctor about my debilitating 24 hour morning sickness and she said they follow the NICE guidelines and only recommend ginger and seabands to help with the symptoms of morning sickness.

I frequent an American internet forum where women with extreme m/s have received medication from their docotrs. I know the US is pretty pill-happy but there are also Canadians on the board who got medication from their docotrs when things got too bad. The medication was a mixture of B6 and an antihistamine.

I'm certainly not pill-happy myself and realise that nothing has been licenced in the UK specifically for morning sickness. On the other hand, I am not sure how much longer I can carry on like this. I am trapped indoors with my 2 yo - too weak to leave the house, get dressed, even. I am certainly not in a great position to look after my dd. I don't have anyone who can look after her instead. All I am eating is dry crackers and sipping water.

Are we really supposed to just sit it out or do docotrs give medication in some circumstances?

Thanks for listening.

misdee Fri 04-Feb-05 10:47:59

i was given stemitil after being hospitised with severe morning sickness.

Laylasmum Fri 04-Feb-05 10:48:23

Docs will give out medication such a stemitil but normally only for women who have been or nearly been hospitalised with sickness that is making them dehydrated and they need iv fluids.i'm sure you understand why they are v reluctant to prescribe in pregnancy especially first trimester.

Beatie Fri 04-Feb-05 11:03:24

Yes - I guessed that they wait until you get to the hospitalisation stage first.

misdee Fri 04-Feb-05 11:04:05

can you get yourself into hospital? if your producing ketones they wont let you out.

Beatie Fri 04-Feb-05 11:16:12

I don't think I am dehydrated yet. I am still urinating a bit. GP told me if that changes to contact them.

misdee Fri 04-Feb-05 11:19:24

i was urinating loads, but couldnt keep a thing down, after i vomited up blood i took myself to a+e, they found iwas producing ketones tho had no other signs of dehydration they kept me in for 4 days, had 2 drips set up, and they gave me stemitil.

irishbird Fri 04-Feb-05 11:30:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kelly1978 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:36:58

The herbal remedy ipecacuana can also help with morning sickness. If you get soem from a health shop, and aloow the tiny tasteless tablets to dissolve on your tongue, I found it really helpful.
I wouldn't want to scare anyone, but my mother was prescribed medication for morning sickness which caused my hearing impairment, so I would be wary of any medications.

Kelly1978 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:36:58

The herbal remedy ipecacuana can also help with morning sickness. If you get soem from a health shop, and aloow the tiny tasteless tablets to dissolve on your tongue, I found it really helpful.
I wouldn't want to scare anyone, but my mother was prescribed medication for morning sickness which caused my hearing impairment, so I would be wary of any medications.

irishbird Fri 04-Feb-05 11:41:24

Beatie Fri 04-Feb-05 12:44:07

"There is a difference between morning sickness and hyperemesis" I don't believe I have the latter as I am only being sick once a day. Mind you, I am not giving myself a chance to be sick as all I am eating is dry crackers - but I know that when people are constantly throwing up, it happens even if they have eaten nothing.

I think I am going to go the homepathic route but I may try and see a midwife next week so that someone is keeping an eye on me.

Thanks for everyone's responses. You get such mixed messages over what you read on the Internet and I have read of 2 drugs that are considered 'safe' to be given during the first trimester but of course, all the evidence is gathered anecdotally as no-one is going to risk doing a controlled trial on pregnant women.

At least I have spoken to a GP and it is in my notes now, so if I present again they may check whether I am dehydrated. What are other signs of dehydration?

irishbird Fri 04-Feb-05 14:53:34

Mirage Fri 04-Feb-05 15:15:22

I was taking Stemetil for vertigo before I found out I was pregnant.The Dr told me not to worry as it was prescribed for severe morning sickness.Misdee kindlty reassured me about it too.

A girl dh works with was given medication as she was throwing up day & night.I don't know what she was prescribed,but at 23wks,she is only sick once a day now.I do know that she wasn't admitted to hospital though.

I hope you get something sorted out soon.

franch Fri 04-Feb-05 15:15:32

I really recommend sipping Dioralyte to avoid dehydration

Beatie Fri 04-Feb-05 15:20:51

I'm going to send DH out later to get some and some Complan. Mmmm Tesco's finest ginger biscuits sound nice. May have to get some of those. I am forcing myself to eat crystalised ginger but I don't really like it in that format.

franch Fri 04-Feb-05 15:27:54

Glad to hear that Beatie - I think Complan & Dioralyte are saving my life at the moment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: