Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Irrationally miserable about pregnancy

(11 Posts)
whatastate Sun 13-Jul-08 11:14:25

I'm 8 weeks, the pregnancy was wanted. Last week I had a scan to check all was ok (no pregnancy symptoms) and it was.

But this week I have just sunk into depression, and I have no idea why. Last weekend I could rationalise why I was feeling a bit less than the overjoyed feeling I had with DS1. Now I can't, and I can't stand the thought of 7 months of feeling like this.

All very selfish to feel like this - I know I'm lucky to be pregnant - but I can't seem to slap myself into being my normal cheery self.

Has anyone else felt the same way?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 13-Jul-08 12:24:14

It's your hormones dear. I'm serious, early pregnancy is like PMT to the power of 100. Try not to fret, you are not ungrateful, or depressed, just hormonal. Wait and it will pass! In the meantime eat superfoods like blueberries and stuff (google what to eat when depressed) and all the goodness will help you cheer up. xx

Kezza7779 Sun 13-Jul-08 12:27:18

i felt like this to, it does pass. Kat is right your hormones are all over the place. I was crying and utterly miserable even tho i had wanted the preg too. Im now 35 weeks and feeling miserable again cuz im huge and cant move! X

whatastate Sun 13-Jul-08 14:11:19

Thanks for the reassurances. You're right, it does feel like my worst PMT moments ever. I do hope it does pass. I did see a thread on ante-natal depression, and am hoping I won't be a sufferer.

Kezza: best wishes for the next 4-5 weeks. I hope your little one will bring you as much happiness as mine did. Hope you get some sunny (but not too hot) days over the next few weeks.

EBenes Sun 13-Jul-08 14:30:31

I'm convinced I've had ante-natal depression this time around. I've just wanted to stay in bed and sleep, I've dreaded the thought of being more and more pregnant, and I've woken up so many mornings feeling dark and miserable as if I haven't got the energy to do anything. I discussed it with my family and... well, they kind of laughed at me because it's a running joke that I'm lazy, which I am. I wanted so much to get pregnant, and then as soon as I was I felt sad about it.

However, nearing 20 weeks now, have just yesterday started feeling baby's movements, I think. I am still constantly tired, the second trimester energy rush hasn't kicked in yet. But the black moods have lifted for most days - I wondered if it had anything to do with the weather, too, and going outside more, but I guess you've only been pregnant for the summer. It has been a crap summer. Maybe it's something to do with it being our second pregnancy? That it's not some irrational dread, but a memory of how draining and painful pregnancy is.

chocbiscuits Sun 13-Jul-08 14:59:34

Hello,
I'm 24 weeks and suddenly feel very tired too and maybe it is the weather.
Maybe we could get our iron levels checked.
Am off on a walk as well later.

tinkhasagorgeousbean Sun 13-Jul-08 15:35:23

ye just hormones i felt down earlier on especially feeling nauseous and so tired, now @ 13 and a half wks have more energy and feel gr8

chocbiscuits Sun 13-Jul-08 22:16:22

Hmm got off this thread having written about being tired and realised both Ds and DH were fast asleep this afternoon!!! Made me chuckle wink

Pontypine Mon 14-Jul-08 08:24:05

I'm nearly 23 weeks and supposed to be in the "wonderful" stage of pregnancy but i too feel like a stroppy 3yr old!!

My first pregnancy, i worked full time and just got on with it!

2nd time round, i had a toddler (nearly 3) yr old at home and worked from home and managed to have a lie in every morning by bringing his duvet downstairs and sleeping on the sofa for an extra couple of hours. I was mobile and very active during this pregnancy and even moved house and nothing phased me

This time, i have 4 and half and 7 and half yr old so i HAVE to get up for school run etc and can't REALLY sleep in the afternoons (unless i fancy watching high school musical every afternoon) and i am so lethargic and stroppy it's unreal!!!

I am waiting also for the spots to clear up and the sex drive to return.....if only!!

MrsTittleMouse Mon 14-Jul-08 08:52:27

Me too! I've had it with both pregnancies. DH told me yesterday that he couldn't remember the last time that I was generally cheerful. blush I pointed out that there really wasn't much time between being exhausted because DD1 wouldn't sleep through and being exhausted because I'm pregnant with DD2. And it's hard to be cheerful when you feel ill all the time.

And I'm incredibly lucky to be pregnant - we have such severe fertility problems and the treatment worked first time this time around. There are women who would kill to be in my shoes. blush

ksc Mon 14-Jul-08 21:19:59

Hi

Thank god!!!! I am not alone!!!!!

I'm six weeks pregnant with number 2 and don't remember feeling remotely like this with my first. I was the glowing earth mother. Now I feel like an empty vessel dragging myself around the house. Snappy de-motivated, irritable, you name it it's going on right here!! I'm glad to hear it passes, I was beginning to feel quite guilty as we have been trying for 8 months and my other half keeps looking at me as though to say...
Yep she's crazy, deffinatly crazy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now