Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I just found out I'm pregnant!

(16 Posts)
Lionstar7 Sun 13-Jul-08 09:19:59

I did two tests yesterday and both were positive, so I think this is it! I'm scared - it's my first. I'm also very concerned as it happened rather sooner than I thought and I have been drinking. Not massive amounts - a few glasses of wine (2 - 3) once or twice a week. Will this have caused major damage? Obviously I'm stopping drinking as of right now!

belgo Sun 13-Jul-08 09:21:55

Congratulations! Your drinking won't have done any harm, as you haven't been drinking heavy amounts. Try not to worry!

Hecate Sun 13-Jul-08 09:22:03

Congrats!

No. The wine will not have caused any damage. You'd need to be drinking several bottles every day for months to cause major damage!

Relax.

moopymoo Sun 13-Jul-08 09:22:35

Congratulations! I really think that the booze will not have done any harm at all, though imo a good idea to give it up now. Take folic acid and good luck!

WasStealthPolarBear Sun 13-Jul-08 09:22:38

Congratulations!

oopsacoconut Sun 13-Jul-08 09:23:51

Hi

Congratulations on your pregnancy. A few glasses of wine shouldn't have done any harm. I found out i was expecting in the middle of the Christmas party scene eating pate soft cheese and the odd glass of wine too.

Relax about what you drank and start enjoying your pregnancy.

WasStealthPolarBear Sun 13-Jul-08 09:26:25

not sure how early you are but i thought the placenta wasn't formed in the early days? so the baby's not actually sharing your bloodstream anyway iyswim?
Even if that's not the case the amount you have drunk doesn't sound a lot anyway.

Cadbury Sun 13-Jul-08 09:27:10

Congratulations Lionstar7 !

I echo what the others have said about the booze - in the 2 night before I found out I was pg with dd2, I had had a whole bottle of wine to my self! dd2 was fine and is causing all kinds of trouble in true healthy toddler style. smile

Do remember the folic acid and don't be scared - parenthood is a wonderful experience and your body knows what to do with the pregnancy. smile

Lionstar7 Sun 13-Jul-08 09:27:16

Thanks. That's a relief. I've just been reading Patrick Holford's book about nutrition during pregnancy and the views on alchohol are militant to say the least. I'd heard elsewhere that a few glasses of wine was okay and wanted opinions from the horse's mouth (i.e. other mums!).

foxythesnowfox Sun 13-Jul-08 09:32:01

Oh big congratulations! grin

Don't worry about the wine. How many babies have been conceived on account of having waaay too much anyway? (At least one of mine wink and he's turned out fine)

Good luck, enjoy your pregnancy.

WasStealthPolarBear Sun 13-Jul-08 09:35:27

neeeiiiiiiiigh

HappyNewMum2Be Sun 13-Jul-08 09:42:45

congratulations grin

Ginni Sun 13-Jul-08 17:17:21

Congratulations Lionstar7! Do you have any idea how far ahead you are? I don't think the drinks will have done any harm, although it is hard not to worry as i'm finding myself. I had a few drinks before I find out (at three months), as well as Avloclor antimalarials, some diazepam for flight nerves, a bunch of holiday injections, a smear test, a sauna, lots of sushi, all the wrong cheeses, oh, and I was on the pill for the first three months too! All looked fine at the first scan - not sure if this link will work but take a look! (I can't post it on here as it's in the wrong format).

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/names/addnurserycommentsZ.php?id=n824577882

Boobz Sat 19-Jul-08 17:52:18

Hey Lionstar7 -- how was your first week? I found out the day after you that I am pregnant, also my first time. Have been glued to this website ever since!

Slickbird Sat 19-Jul-08 19:15:52

Congratulations to you Lionstar7 and Boobz! Fist time, v - exciting. Take the Folic Acid and don't worry about the drink. As a rule, you're body lets you know at the right time when you're pregnant as it puts you off things pretty early. I'm off alcohol and now I'm off tea. Just lets you know, you don't fancy it. My last time (am now on pregnancy 3) I had been out for my christmas night out but couldn't get past a couple of drinks and then had to go home early - spend the whole night expelling it from my system - I put it down to food poisoning!! Enjoy, both of you!

AnnVan Tue 22-Jul-08 02:57:19

I can echo the alcohol advice - I was pg over Christmas, and drank a lot! (obviously did not know at that point that I was pg. Scans have not shown any abnormalities. As for alcohol during pg, there's no evidence that says you should not drink at all, it's just that no one can agree on a safe limit. As long as you're not constantly binge drinking, the odd glass of wine shouldn't hurt. I personally can't drink due to heartburn issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now