Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NO SEX FOR ME!!! Does that mean no rudeness of any kind?

(21 Posts)
bohemianbint Sat 12-Jul-08 20:04:20

I had a tiny bit of spotting last week (am 35 wks pregnant tomorrow) and when I went to get it checked out (thinking it was no big deal) I was told I had an erosion on my cervix and they kept me in hospital for 24 hours! It's all been fine since so touch wood that's the end of it, but I've been told not to have any sex. Do you think that means just up until 38wks, or until after the baby is out? And should I not be doing anything rude at all?

Has anyone else been given a sex ban? shock

lulumama Sat 12-Jul-08 20:07:33

really? why no sex? i imagine it means until you deliver? an erosion is nothing sinister, just that sex can 'irritate; the cervix and might make you spot again

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 12-Jul-08 20:10:15

I was told I had slight erosion at my last smear test, nurse said nothing to worry about unless bleeding after sex, which you had I suppose.

Wouldn't ahve thought that any other rudeness would be off?

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 11:41:48

The bleed last week was post coital - not a massive amount but I think the hospital were playing it safe. I was really surprised though as I didn't expect to be kept in over a few spots!

Erosion doesn't sound good, does it, sounds kind of permanent, although apparently it's just like a graze? Would it mean a possibility of premature labour?

I'd be loathe to mention it if it happened again as then I'd be put under consultant lead care and my home birth would probably go out of the window...sad

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 11:45:44

erosion is honestly not sinister, do a search on here. it is something to do with some cells from the inner part growing down onto the outside or something

and having sex can irritate it and cause bleeding, but it is the erosion bleeding, IFYSWIM

it should not mean prem labour as thre is nothing wrong with your cervix per se

cervical erosion and post coital bleeding tend to go hand in hand, and it should not mean no home birth

do get checked if you have fresh red bleeding

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 11:54:08

Cheers lulumama. (I was just thinking of erosions in terms of cliffs falling in the sea and being gone for good, glad to hear it's not a big deal!)

Stay in hospital really put the wind up me - apparently if you give birth there they are so stretched you "only get an hour to push" before they step in and "assist". I am absolutely determined to keep this baby in until 38wks so I can have my HB...

ButterflyMcQueen Sun 13-Jul-08 11:55:45

i was put on a sex ban with dd - low lying placenta and erosion

it was awful because it was from 24 weeks

i think it just meant penetrative btw

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 11:56:07

whihc hospital is this??

you can make an informed decision to refuse any intervention you feel is uncessary

don;t see how intervention is a time saver, as for an assisted delivery you need doctor, paed sometimes and then extra time for stitching etc.. so surely extra time to deliver if all is going fine, is better??

<<mind boggles>>

Kezza7779 Sun 13-Jul-08 12:31:51

Oh my god - u wrote my story. im 35 weeks too, and had a bleed last week and told it was cervical erosion. they didnt tell me not to have sex just that sex can make u bleed due to the penis irritating it. They were not concernd at all - even tho i told my DH that i wasnt allowed sex !!!!!!!!! you can still have it just try not to have it too deep / rough x

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 15:38:28

It's Wythenshawe hospital - I don't get it myself to be honest! Unless it's to get the docs in and the midwives off to someone else? Either way, apparently it's all very medicalised there and I really dont' want to end up having a baby there so fingers crossed for me...

Butterfly - blimey! That is a long time to go without!

Kezza - how strange! I'm too scared to risk it now. sad

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 15:42:33

you can ensure that your DP is well up on things, so if you do have to transfer or do give birth there for any reason, he knows to support you in not having any intervention, simply becasue it is protocol

you had a HB before, no reason your 2nd wont; be a success too!

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 15:50:43

It's inspiring me to dig out my old birth plan and print it off now just in case. Will make sure DH knows that no one is coming near me with scissors or hoovers or any other implements of torture no matter how long I've been pushing.

(Lots of people are telling me that baby number 2 comes out after minutes of pushing. Is this optimistic? I did have a very fast labour last time but it was probably 50/50 between pushing and contractions.)

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 15:53:29

2nd births can be very quick. but as you know, childbirth is all about the unexpected ! are you having a doula?

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 16:06:33

No. sad I'd love one, but we're a bit skint at the mo. Actually I'm thinking I'd quite like to be one at the mo. Totally random question but how do you organise childcare so that you can be flexible enough to be on call?

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 16:08:57

DS at school as he is almost 9, and a long list of friends, family, baby sitters and a childminder who go on call when i do !! DD is starting reception a year in september so that will help too. i also have a back up doula in case i am absolutely stuck.

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 16:12:16

Would you say it's a good career to fit around a family? It must be great in that you could take your skills anywhere - but the childcare thing would probably be a big thing for me. Have just been wondering if it would be worth me looking into it as I really could do with getting back to work in some way in the next couple of years! Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. grin

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 16:33:43

if you have childcare, then yes ! although it has made me more determined to become a midwife, which i shall hopefully apply for once my children are a bit older

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 18:31:43

I've thought about being a midwife, but I thought being a doula would be like a compromise as I don't think I could handle the gorier side of childbirth, stitchings up and that kind of thing. I'm presuming you get to dodge most of the gore if you're a doula?

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 18:32:34

Plus, how long would it take to qualify as a midwife? (I have no medical experience so would be starting from scratch!)

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 19:56:11

there can be gore, and other bodily fluids as a doula, but you tend not to be in the firing line as it were, but i try to avoid wearing white!!

midwifery will take 3 - 4 years as a degree course ,i have no medical background either so am going to do biology a level at some point sooon as my a levels and degree are not scientific in the slightest!!

PInkyminkyohnooo Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:01

I'm very suprised you have been told that (about the hour to push) at Wythenshawe hospital. I know loads of people who have delivered there and have not had that experience. I know they can get vey busy and you can be left to it a bit, but not that they will 'assist'.shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now