Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How can I make my blood pressure go UP?!

(10 Posts)
Lovage Sat 12-Jul-08 19:23:35

I'm pretty sure that what's making me feel really rough today is that my blood pressure's too low. It's low anyway, was too low the last time I saw the midwife (weeks ago though, as this is second child, so hardly any visits), and I know it often dips in second trimester (I'm 27 weeks). I feel dizzy, exhausted and nauseous and don't think I'm coming down with anything (apart from a bad case of pregnancy). Obv will go and see doc if doesn't get better by Monday, but I'm pretty sure it's just low BP.

Is there anything I can do to make it rise a bit, apart from immediately embarking on a diet of chips with plenty of salt?! Last time I saw the midwife it was a hot day and she said that dehydration could make your BP drop, so I've been drinking lots today. And resting, obviously. Any tips?

sure its not your iron levels??

pinkspottywellies Sat 12-Jul-08 19:33:01

Apparently liquorice can raise your bp. (Used to work in a sweet shop!)

Lovage Sat 12-Jul-08 19:35:21

Good question. I don't think so - it came on very suddenly this morning, and I've been taking Floradix (although not regularly - keep forgetting. Probably about 1/4 of the dose they recommend). Will def try upping the Floradix. Although iron levels were fine when I last had them tested which was about 6 weeks ago - so things could have changed since then.

Lovage Sat 12-Jul-08 19:36:17

Yum yum, I love liquorice! I have some liquorice tea - wonder if that would help?!

They test your iron levels at 28 weeks so might be worth seeing what they say then, it is known to drop in the 2nd trimester as your blood volume increases significantly.

star6 Sat 12-Jul-08 20:00:40

I have this problem... I'm 27 weeks and my bp is ALWAYS low and it's frustrating. Anything high in carbohydrates (????) not sure why this is (I think my dr said it was connected to my low blood sugar... I know they are very different things, but for some reason raising one helps to raise the other?) I don't really know the technicalities of all of this, but I do know that a carbohydrate or something high in (natural) sugar - like raisins, grapes, fruit...etc usually helps. Well, i feel less dizzy anyway. I also have very low iron. If you have this as well it will also cause exhaustion. I take spatone now and that helps!!
sorry for the big ramble... I hope you have gotten something from that! long day

LeonieD Sun 13-Jul-08 09:14:08

Message withdrawn

chocbiscuits Sun 13-Jul-08 14:53:22

Stress - maybe you could watch a scary movie/thriller?!

loulou33 Sun 13-Jul-08 16:13:55

Try tensing your large muscle groups (arms/legs) for 5 seconds then relaxing, then tensing and relaxing for 5/10 mins. Its hard work but will raise your blood pressure. This technique is used by blood and injection phobics who tend to faint at the sight of blood cos their bp drops very rapidly. Try doing this before standing up and get up slowly particularly first thing in the morning. Eat slow release sugary foods like bananas, oats etc so you don't get sugar highs and lows - sweets are very tempting but your blood sugar plummets after a while leaving you worse off (i wish i could take my own advice as 1/2 bag of midget gems each afternoon at work always seems like a good idea but the effects never last!!).

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now