Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! No idea whether this is pregnancy related, but I've suddenly gone a bit blind

(26 Posts)
Anglepoise Fri 11-Jul-08 19:36:35

I'm nearly 31 weeks. About 15-20 minutes ago, I developed, very suddenly, a weird blind spot - if I stare at the centre of my palm, I can't see the left hand side. It's making reading and typing very hard - and interfering with my MNing! Never had anything like this before. Should I be worried? Don't want to call NHS Direct because they'll tell me to see a doctor to be on the safe side. Could call my dad (retired GP), though he'll probably just tell me it's nothing to worry about. I have another hour at work to kill and will probably go mad if I can't read!

Fufulina Fri 11-Jul-08 19:38:07

Could be the start of a migraine - the aura.

gagarin Fri 11-Jul-08 19:39:02

Phone for advice now.

Most likely a migraine coming on - often the visual disturbances come just before a crushing headache and/or vomiting?

BUT it can be a sign of something much more serious. Retinal problems; high blood pressure etc. See a doctor, phone NHS direct or speak to your dad.

PetitFilou1 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:39:07

Anglepoise - Sounds like a migraine to me or a pre migraine aura. You need to leave work, go home and go to bed!

kittyvonditty Fri 11-Jul-08 19:39:59

If you see spots you should ring your midwife immediatly

It is a sign of pre-eclampsia.

Have you any swelling or anything else...

hang on ...

dinny Fri 11-Jul-08 19:40:20

definitely phone your midwife/GP, pre-eclampsia can cause visual disturbances, I think.

kittyvonditty Fri 11-Jul-08 19:41:19

symptoms ....

* severe headaches,
* vision problems, such as blurring, or seeing flashing lights before your eyes,
* pain in your upper abdomen,
* vomiting, or
* sudden swelling of your feet, ankles, face and hands, and excessive weight gain because of fluid retention.

SqueakyPop Fri 11-Jul-08 19:41:38

I think you may need to get your blood pressure checked, asap. Lots of pharmacies have machines that you can use.

Anglepoise Fri 11-Jul-08 19:43:32

Gosh, fast replies! I think I get occasional migraines but never get this beforehand. No swelling and my blood pressure is usually low; had a pedicure recently where the lady remarked on the fact I had no swelling at all, but that was a fortnight ago now.

Might call my dad ...

puppydavies Fri 11-Jul-08 19:45:41

i had occular migraine (aura only, no headache) for the first time when i was pg, which is similar - are you getting zigzaggy lines? either way i'd get yourself checked out asap.

Anglepoise Fri 11-Jul-08 19:49:59

Yeah, it's like whirly white lines off to my left. Actually, think it's stopped whirling now and the left side of my world has just disappeared. On the plus side, I can see straight ahead fairly well now, so can see what I'm typing.

Just spoke to my dad, who actually sounded more worried than I thought he would but said pre-eclampsia is very unlikely. He's suggested that I get my BP checked asap, so going to see if there's anyone medical in the building or Google somewhere nearby ... Might look up occular migraines too, cheers.

Thanks for the replies

puppydavies Fri 11-Jul-08 19:50:26

does it look like any of these?

puppydavies Fri 11-Jul-08 19:53:27

btw mine came on 1st watching telly in the dark - i think screens make it worse. mine cleared up after 20 mins or so but then happened again next day so i went to docs then.

moopymoo Fri 11-Jul-08 19:57:05

very rarely, but sometimes, it is possible to go blind during pregnancy - happened to a friend of mine, lasted some months. get it checked asap. really. link here US though

moopymoo Fri 11-Jul-08 19:59:39

that link i posted is a bit rubbish. but there is a condition leading to preg. blindness

Califrau Fri 11-Jul-08 20:01:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anglepoise Fri 11-Jul-08 20:07:59

Did some Googling myself and it sounds pretty much exactly like an ocular migraine. Very strange, but seems almost to have worn off now. Thank you very much for your help - was slightly concerned I was having a stroke or something, so it was very reassuring Travelling to my parents' tonight (I'm not driving!) so will get dad to check me over.

Hoorah for the internet!

Flamesparrow Fri 11-Jul-08 20:10:23

I always think migraines have little sperm guys in front of my eyesgrin

googgly Fri 11-Jul-08 20:12:56

Just to note, I got a migraine aura every time I went into labour, about 30-60 mins before regular contractions - this would be bad at 31 weeks, so maybe check with doc. Mind you I might be the only person in the universe this has happened to, so don't panic.

assdoc Fri 11-Jul-08 20:14:36

I get the cheek thing quite often Califrau. I can be watching TV and or looking at someone and they seem to have 2 eyes on one side of their face. Quite odd. I also get the effect of looking through a prism or crystal where I can see but in a very distorted fashion. Both due to occular migraine.

Thanks for you sensible post on my other thread BTW. I've given up posting on it.wink

Anglepoise Fri 11-Jul-08 20:23:53

Yeeeek goggly don't say that! About to head 200 miles north, but at least I'll be heading in the direction of a doctor and all my baby stuff should LO be about to make an appearance ...

googgly Fri 11-Jul-08 20:30:06

Well prob won't happen, and certainly not because I said so, but if you feel lots of contractions please go to hospital.

popsycal Fri 11-Jul-08 20:31:53

please get your blood pressure checked

minouminou Fri 11-Jul-08 20:37:59

How's it going?

Blocky Fri 11-Jul-08 22:04:56

Please please get yourself checked - the symptoms you are describing sound very similar to classic aura migraine but also retinal detachment.
I suffer from aura but have also had two retinal tears, and confused the symptoms of the tears with a migraine, and didn't seek treatment for days.

Are you shortsighted? It is more common apparently to get retinal problems if you are, so if you are not hopefully is just a migraine which is more of a bloody nuisance than anything else. Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now