Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What in pate isn't allowed?

(9 Posts)
cat811 Fri 11-Jul-08 18:32:04

Am I allowed to make my own mackerel pate with bascially just mackerel and creme fraiche? Can't see any reason why not, but have read that all pates are off-limits - does this include ones where you know what you've put in?
Thanks x

giddykipper Fri 11-Jul-08 18:33:55

No, it's bought pates which have been preserved. I think it's a listeria risk. Or salmonella. I can never remember the difference.

pippibluestocking Fri 11-Jul-08 18:35:44

Sure your HM recipe would be fine risks are as giddy states plus liver - avoid in pregnancy since too high in vit a.

Anglepoise Fri 11-Jul-08 18:57:09

It's the vitamin A in the livers that you're avoiding, so mackerel one should be fine (and lots of omega 3 to boot!) - I've been scoffing the yummy Sainsbury's smoked salmon one

Thankyouandgoodnight Fri 11-Jul-08 19:08:56

It's the Vit A from livers thing.

Tiggerish Fri 11-Jul-08 19:09:36

It's the vitamin A in the liver you're not supposed to have cos it's toxic to the baby in such high concentrations. Enjoy! smile

DontNeedAnything Fri 11-Jul-08 19:10:13

Vitamin A - you can overdose on Vot A during pregnancy.

lou031205 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:41:22

Sorry its all pates, including vegetable. It is the way they are made and stored.

MiniMarmite Fri 11-Jul-08 20:23:24

Hi Cat811

I have made and eaten my own fish pates during my pregnancy but tend to eat them the same day that I've made them just to be on the safe side in terms of storing them. To be honest though I'm sure that if you store them carefully as you would other cooked meats a couple of days would be fine too.

As others have said it is both Vit A with liver pates and storage conditions for commercial ones.

When I'm making my own I just think would I eat this ingredient on its own and how long would I feel comfortable storing it for? And then apply the same principle for eating them mixed up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now