Talk

Advanced search

long haul travel when pregnant and then with newborn

(11 Posts)
forevermore Thu 03-Feb-05 16:47:18

I am 10.5 weeks and intend to go to the caribbean when 13-14 weeks. Does anyone know if you need any documentations / or if its even wise, to go on a long haul flight when only 13 weeks.

My main concerns are: do i need to inform the airline, will I have trouble obtaining travel insurance / will premium go up?

Finally; my sister is getting married on a caribbean cruise in December when my bean will have popped and become a 3 month old.

I really want to go on this trip, which would mean a 8 hour flight and of course a week on a cruise ship. I have seen babies on cruise ships before, but don't recall seeing them on flights.

any help would be great, so much to think about now; but loving it!

fisil Thu 03-Feb-05 16:50:16

I travelled long haul at 18 - 21 weeks, so a totally different stage of pg, but even then no-one ever queried me going on flights. My GP wrote me a letter and we sorted it with our insurance company (who were happy with the letter). But as I say, no airline ever asked to see the letter (we didn't tell them either).

vala Thu 03-Feb-05 16:57:24

Hi Forevermore, I flew out from the UK to Australia at 10wks pg. Only had a 6hr stop at Tokyo on the way out. Was 13wks on the return journey, but we had a 12 hr overnight stop then.
Took advise from MW and GP who both said that there was no reason why I couldn’t travel. Was advised to take my notes with me.
Didn’t affect insurance. DP informed them and the airline. We even took an internal flight across to Hamilton Island and didn’t have to pay extra for insurance there either.
Managed to get upgraded to Business class on the return journey because of it too lush!!

Had a brilliant time, which is good because we haven’t had a holiday out of the country since.
Go and enjoy. (don’t forget to try for the upgrade)

milge Thu 03-Feb-05 17:17:38

I did Uk to australia at 11 weeks pg with twins, did 6 internal flights around Oz, and came back at 14 weeks with no problems - apart from feeling like S*&^. The combination of travel sickness and MS was awful. No problems re airline or insurance. I even managed(somehow) to go on a 2 hour seaplane ride over barrier reef without a thought. In hindsight, it was madness, but all 3 of us survived. have a great trip.

milge Thu 03-Feb-05 17:20:17

Oh, forgot to say re cruise. my old boss had her son in march, and took him on a 2 week caribean cruise in may with no problems at all. I think she had him checked over by GP before they went. Would check with health insurance re position for newborn, but if s/he is healthy/gaining weight ok, can't see a reason not too. Good age to travel, much easier with a newborn than a toddler.

forevermore Thu 03-Feb-05 18:29:55

thanks fopr advice; this really helps. Just wanted to make sure. will check with GP and M/W too.

eidsvold Thu 03-Feb-05 22:24:06

travelled at 17/18 weeks to Australia via SIngapore. Just made sure I let them know I was pregnant - although the rather large belly also reinforced that. No one queried and I did not have a letter saying it was okay - made sure insurance company knew though. Had no problems getting insurance. Just made sure I walked a lot and drank a lot of water....

Travelled to aus with dd1 when she was about eight months old - strangely the flight was full of babies.... lots of threads about travelling with babies if you just do a search on mumsnet or even google it.

Hulababy Thu 03-Feb-05 22:28:48

I flew to the carribean at about 9 weeks (had booked before I fell pg) and the flight was fine. Lots of trips to toilet!!! BUT on a good point, the flight was the only time I didn't suffer with morning sickness - still have no idea why, but whilst in the plane the sickness just disappeared.

It was very very hot when we went though and I did suffer - mainly because of the sickness in that heat. Didn't really eat anythign for two weeks in the end, or come out from the shade!

But regards the flight - you don't need to do anything at all at this stage of pregnancy. And your travel insurance will be fine - although many do not cover you for anything pg related anyway I don't think!

Have a great time!

Frizbe Thu 03-Feb-05 23:01:56

I'll just add get the cruise ship checked out, as we looked at going with dd this year, and I'm sure two of them don't do kids under 2? it was either that or they were very unaccomodating.... how crap, sorry but I can't remember which now....as binned the idea anyway.......

Leogaela Fri 04-Feb-05 10:29:16

my sister flew from NZ to UK when here baby was only few weeks old.
Make sure the airline know how old the baby will be and make sure they reserve the seats at teh front of the plane where they can set up a baby cot for you.

orangina Fri 04-Feb-05 13:16:57

hi.... am 30+5 weeks pg, just got back from a 2 week trip to the middle east, flew out at 28 weeks, back at 30 weeks. No problems at all. Most airlines are fine with pg women flying until 26/28 weeks, and need letter from dr/mw between 28 and 36 weeks. I had letters, no-one asked to see them though. Would definitely do your best to get upgrade though! DOn't know anything about travelling w newborn, though my more experienced sister says travelling with a 3 month old is a (relative) piece of cake, as they generally sleep through in their bassinet.... good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now