Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need some advice please

(8 Posts)
sherbetdipdab Fri 11-Jul-08 11:38:23

Sorry, I know I should contact my midwife but I know they will just tell me to go to the hospital but my DP is working and I have no transport and DS's first birthday is tomorrow......etc..

My blood pressure is all over the place 150/90, 120/100, I have protein in my urine everytime I see the midwife, my ankles and legs and now fingers are swollen. I've been having the worst headaches of my life for weeks now.

I had pre-eclampsia with DS last year but managed to get to 38 weeks, I'm currently 32 weeks and feel the midwives etc don't take me seriously.

I feel rotten and am really struggling sad

I'm worried but feel the midwives etc think I'm just panicking over nothing so I don't really bother them.

What would you do?

Goldiewithabump Fri 11-Jul-08 12:15:00

Sorry to hear you are feeling so rotten Sherbetdip. But if it was me I would phone the midwife and if they say so go to the hospital. Always better to be safe than sorry. Make them understand that you are worried.

Know it's not want you want to hear, but don't want it to develop to anything worse. Could DP come home for the afternoon and help out??

PetitFilou1 Fri 11-Jul-08 12:34:25

Sherbet I wouldn't take the risk - I would get ds sorted out with a friend and get in a taxi and go to hospital. If you are worried I think you should act on it. Don't worry about your ds, he is too little to know it is his birthday tomorrow and you can always celebrate properly on another day if things come to that.

buckles Fri 11-Jul-08 12:38:04

either go to hospital or call your GP and ask them to talk to the on call Obsetric team, I really think that you need this checking out and if the community midwives are not taking you seriously then cut them out of the loop. Or you could call labour ward.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

sherbetdipdab Fri 11-Jul-08 15:10:28

Thanks for the replies, I managed to get hold of my DP, he's a doc but kind of useless at this as not his speciality and he's sent me to lie down for an hour and recheck my BP, it was 123/99.

I don't have a headache anymore, just feeling "fuzzy".

I'm desperate to be here for DS's birthday and don't want to rush up to hospital just to be told there is nothing wrong.

I'm honestly not ignoring all your advice, I'm just so confused as all my symptoms point to something being wrong but they keep telling me I'm fine.

Even DP feels confused by it all.

PinkPussyCat Fri 11-Jul-08 15:24:32

I really don't want to sound like I am trying to scare you but please get checked out sherbet - there are some risks just not worth taking. You sound like you have all the symptoms of classic pre-eclampsia which if left can develop into full-blown eclampsia and seizures.

123/99 is NOT an acceptable blood pressure to be walking about with in pregnancy, let alone organising birthday parties. Your obstetrician should be thinking about starting you on treatment to help lower your BP.

I am very shocked that your midwives are not treating your symptoms seriously. I think you should do as Buckles says, cut them out of the loop and phone Labour ward and give them your history. And read out your last few bp's to them.

Please post again and let us know how you get on.

lottie85 Fri 11-Jul-08 15:33:37

i know how u feel my midwife was a nitemare to get hold of never picking up her mobile, u DO need to get checked , i dont know how things work in ur area but i had various health concerns in my pregnancy i bypassed my mw completly and phoned up my maternity unit and just asked if i could have some advice and they were always happy to help advise me what to do next , hope this helps x

PinkPussyCat Sat 12-Jul-08 09:12:03

Sherbetdipdab How are you today? Hope you are feeling a wee bit better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now