Talk

Advanced search

37 weeks and swollen hands

(9 Posts)
Breizhette Fri 11-Jul-08 10:43:59

It started yesterday and kept me awake last night. My feet were pretty bad too but it's better now. My blood pressure was checked last Thursday and it was fine.

I think swelling is normal towards the end, isn't it? Or shall I go and see about it?

HolidaysQueen Fri 11-Jul-08 10:55:58

Were you awake because you were worrying or awake because of discomfort/pain?

Some swelling is normal and if your bp was fine last week and your urine tests have been clear then I wouldn't immediately worry. However you do need to tell your dr/midwife so they can keep an eye on it and check the bp/urine. When is your next planned check?

I started to get swelling at 36 weeks but they weren't too worried. It was only when my bp rose a lot and I got a trace of protein in my urine that they started to take a closer look.

Breizhette Fri 11-Jul-08 11:13:55

I don't know if this woke me up or not, but it did keep me awake. But you know how pain is always worse at night. The urine test was clear on Monday. Matbe I'll just wait and see how it goes. Thanks.

Breizhette Fri 11-Jul-08 11:15:41

Sorry I didn't answer properly. It's the discomfort that kept me awake. Not the worry.

LiegeAndLief Fri 11-Jul-08 20:17:39

I think you should give your mw a ring, especially if the swelling has been fairly sudden. Could be completely normal but it would do no harm to get your bp checked. Just becuase it was fine last Thursday doesn't mean it will be fine today, although I hope it is! Good luck smile

katpotat Fri 11-Jul-08 20:21:38

Might be worth checking it out with MW, but this happened to me in the last 4 weeks, couldn't keep my wedding ring on as it was too painful.....it was worse at night as well. Midwife told me it was quite common. I hope you are oksmile

Breizhette Sat 12-Jul-08 14:24:19

I ended up going to my GP yesterday evening and he checked my blood pressure and protein in urine. He said it was all normal so not to worry about it. It is so painful, I wouldn't have thought water retention could hurt so much. Thanks for your advice.

HolidaysQueen Sun 13-Jul-08 21:11:49

That's good news Breizhette, although I'm sorry it's hurting so much. I found it didn't hurt me before but I had a lot of IV fluids during labour and the swelling afterwards was painful. Massaging the joints helped a bit so maybe you could try that. Good luck - and only a few more weeks to go at most!

LiegeAndLief Sun 13-Jul-08 21:29:30

Good to hear all is fine but sorry you're in so much pain! Hope it eases up soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now