Talk

Advanced search

Clary Sage

(18 Posts)
Libra1975 Thu 10-Jul-08 11:35:41

Morning all.
I am 39+2 and about to have a bath - would it be safe to put a few drops of Clary Sage into the bath?

amazonianadventure Thu 10-Jul-08 15:22:21

I would say no but im not a qualified aromatherapist.

Its now 4 hours later so let us know if you didand did anything happen

bigboydiditandranaway Thu 10-Jul-08 15:58:38

I have been on tranquility website which is really good,the lady is a qualified aromatherapist i think, have ordered some essential oils that i can use now at 37wks, it does also say in the factsheet that she used clary sage from 37wks for her pregnancy, but she says don't use it until 38wks before that, so it's upto you, i would use it at 39wks though personanlly

Libra1975 Thu 10-Jul-08 16:47:33

Hello! Still haven't had the bath but did put a few drops in some hot water to scent the air but nothing has happened! I think for stuff to happen you are suppose to put a few drops in massage oil and then rub your bump.

Qally Thu 10-Jul-08 23:34:02

Clary Sage is definitely on the "no" list at Neal's Yard. No clue why, I'm afraid. But it's not recommended in pregnancy by them.

puffylovett Thu 10-Jul-08 23:41:23

it's a uterine stimulant

perfectly fine to use at term, a couple of drops would be fine at 40 weeks

I was using it copiously at 39.5 but it didn't work I still went overdue smile

I am an aromatherapist btw

whomovedmychocolate Thu 10-Jul-08 23:41:24

It makes you smell like a wet dog, that's why! grin

Seriously it can increase the intensity of contractions but will not start them off and frankly just smells horrible. Also lots of people are quite allergic to it - it's one of those that gets into the skin and can cause nasty rashes, which is the last thing you want in late pregnancy.

Tis quite good at keeping fleas away though.

puffylovett Thu 10-Jul-08 23:42:58

lol whomoved !!!

i quite like it actually, although it is an aquired scent {smile]

whomovedmychocolate Thu 10-Jul-08 23:44:27

puffy - have you ever smelled a wet labrador that has been running through fields - exactly the same smell.

puffylovett Thu 10-Jul-08 23:51:49

wet spaniel yes - and funnily enough I quite like my beast when she stinks all doggy blush

grin

whomovedmychocolate Thu 10-Jul-08 23:52:44

Weirdo grin

puffylovett Thu 10-Jul-08 23:53:22

grin

Libra1975 Fri 11-Jul-08 08:58:26

I do agree that Clary Sage isn't the nicest smelling oil around but if it gets this LO shifting I don't care!
I've also heard that Jasmine is suppose to work and that must smell nicer Cheers Puffy.

DaphneDescends Fri 11-Jul-08 09:01:30

I used clary sage daily from 40 weeks. In the bath, and massaged with carrier oil onto my bump.

I went into labour at 40+12.

hmm

amazonianadventure Fri 11-Jul-08 09:09:30

I love wet dog! blush

DustyTV Fri 11-Jul-08 09:12:18

I used it in labour. My contractions slowed to a near stop, so I had a bath with a couple of drops in and then massaged a little (with carrier oil) into my bump. It did start the contractions up again with avengence, but DD was still 2 days away at this point.

Mistymoo Fri 11-Jul-08 09:13:20

I was told to put clary sage in a carrier oil and rub into the area just above the heel of your foot. Apparently that is the womb area in reflexology. I did go into labour the next day but I think that was just me ready to go anyway, but I do love having my feet done, as long as the person doing it doesn't mind my feet wink

Libra1975 Fri 11-Jul-08 09:19:31

To be honest I am firmly of the opinion that a baby will come when it is good and ready and anything else is just window dressing but it's fun trying and it's not like I have anything else to do whilst sitting like a beached whale watching TV!
Reflexology is next on my list, having my feet massaged sounds like heaven anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now