Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

medical question?found protein and blood in sample-please help

(21 Posts)
daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:35:36

Hi I am 34+2 yday I was found the above in my sample, now Im waiting for the results whch I get tomorow, but I was just wondering what they could maybe find, if anything, I know one of them maybe pre-eclampsia (is this right) or it a bit early to detect. Also been giving a stick to do at home today, and at the top well second line result, it's purple+ all the others seem to be negative. Im just curious about this really, I know it could be nothing. I just wondering who else has had this, what was the outcome and also If I could get some answers maybe off a midwife/doctor on here {smile}

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:04:38

Is anyone out there that can give me advice, be much appreciated

seeker Thu 10-Jul-08 10:11:58

Don't know about the blood, but I know that protein is one of the indicators for pre-eclampsia. How's your blood pressure? If it's at all raised and there's still protein this morning, then I think you should be prepared to be sent to the hospital for monitoring. If you are, take lots of stuff to keep yourself comfortable and entertained - it's sometimes a long wait. Keep us posted on what happens next!

VeniVidiVickiQV Thu 10-Jul-08 10:13:52

Could be early signs of pre-eclampsia. But it is most likely a UTI if there is blood in your sample.

It needs sorting but try not to worry yourself smile

gagarin Thu 10-Jul-08 10:15:30

infection is the most likely cause

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:38:53

ok right thankyou. Well I find out the result from my sample tomrow, so then they said wether I will have to go back in tomorow, be checked again. My BP was high the first visit I ever had with midwife, been been more or less fine since then. Yesturday was 123/91 thats not really high is it,or is it?

seeker Thu 10-Jul-08 10:40:59

Daisy - did they say anything about your blood pressure? Was there protein in the sample you tested with a dip stick this morning?

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:45:23

well thats what im confused about. On the bottle I seem to have a bit of a purple colour on my stick and it has a + which indicates summit, all the others seem to be negative what I can work out. Just my luck that no dropincentres in my area are open thursdays. Gotta wait till 1.30 till a midwife arrives at my GP, they have put a notice on her screen say i gotta see a midwife today ifit became positive

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:45:55

yesturday don't remember saying much about my BP hmm

BeachBunni Thu 10-Jul-08 10:49:53

They will look at the low figure with your bp. Anything over 90 is seen as hypertension (high bp). Did they take a blood sample as there are indictors that can detect pre-eclampsia?

seeker Thu 10-Jul-08 10:51:47

I am not an expert at all (maybe one will be along soon) but if you're not sure of the reading on the dip stick, I would be inclined to go back and get the midwife to check it. If I'm right, the 90 number in your blood pressure is on the edge of being a little bit high if you see what I mean. If I were you I'd go for being over cautious - the worst that can happen is that they pat you on the head and send you home again.

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:54:34

yeh ive kept the stick and im goin to take it with me to midwife. No just sent off my urine sample that was it.So 123/91 is a bit high then, that what you mean smile

BeachBunni Thu 10-Jul-08 10:56:11

Just had a look at the dip sticks I have. Is the second line up that goes purple not for ketones?

seeker Thu 10-Jul-08 11:22:04

A bit high, yes, daisy. Are you going today?

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 11:32:36

yeh going to see midwofe today.Purple colour, I don't know, what is ketones? hmm do you know?

MiniMarmite Thu 10-Jul-08 17:28:56

Hi Daisy26

I think your BP is ok because it's usually considered a problem if the top value is over 140 as well as the bottom one being over 90.

I agree with VeniVidiVickiQV and gagarin that UTI more likely...

Oh, just looked at the time - you've probably seen mw by now anyway. Hope it went ok.

daisy26 Thu 10-Jul-08 18:21:18

yeh saw midwife and I didn't have any protein in it today, also my BP was a bit better today. Just gotta wait for tomrows results, wasn't anything there today, hoepfully the result be clear tomoz. Just gotta go and have my BP every week now, just see what the outcomes of them I suppose

daisy26 Fri 11-Jul-08 13:58:00

Not happy will not find out my result till monday now, that so does not help, now gotta wait another two days. I did the test things again today this time, it was positive again same as wed, what can I do, not much. Just sooo frustrated really wanted know my result, hasn't even bloody been tested yet (its a joke ) angry

DontNeedAnything Fri 11-Jul-08 14:16:56

Having just read the thread it sounds to be like they think a urine infection.

The strips they use to test look fro a whole range of things - like protein, glucose, ketones, blood, leukocytes and probably other things. They are all pretty much unrelated. They are just on 1 strip so the GP can test all things with 1 strip IYSWIM.

You say that it has detected protein and blood. You are right in that protein can indicate pre-eclampsia - and no it is not too early. However as others have said protein is also an indication of an infection. The blood suggests the latter as I don't think blood has got anything to do with pre-eclampsia - but it can be presenti in an infection. As others have said BP is also a primary indicator of pre-eclampsia.

Please don't read too much into the comment about whether the purple one is ketones or not. Different brands may have the squares in a different order. Seeing as you ask though ketones are a sign of not having eaten/drunk recently.

WRT to teh sample whcih was sent off - I think these is also evidence that they are considerign an infection. I don't see what they would measure for pre-eclampsia - but they will want to culture the sample if they think infection. Did the MW put you sample in a red capped tube? (If she didn't it probbaly still is a culture she is doing - but her brand may not be red IYSWIM).

If your sample has been sent for a "culture" - and it was only sent on Weds it is too early for the results. The actual test takes a minimum of 48hrs in teh lab I think - and it would have needed to get to teh lab. It is not eth MW or NHS fault - but she should have known the results would not be back today and should not have allowed you to expect them back today.

HTH.

daisy26 Fri 11-Jul-08 16:38:05

I don't know what they put my sample in, and it was the consultant at the hospital that did all this. I did one of those tests again today and it had protein+blood in it, which I addressed to my consultants secetary, as he was doing something else today. My consultant was the one that told me I will ring you friday with the result, and depending on the result wether we need to bring you back in, to check you out again.The strip Ive used are the ones with everything on it which tells you what you may have in your body, as the consultant gave me them to take home.

daisy26 Mon 14-Jul-08 15:07:49

I found out my result today and it was negative, so im quite pleased about that. Now just gotta get my BP checked every week until she arrives
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now