Talk

Advanced search

Time off work with pregnancy illness?

(28 Posts)
Rhian82 Wed 09-Jul-08 13:05:05

I just want some reassurance that I'm not the only one who's off all the time with pregnancy-related ughiness!

My morning sickness didn't really kick in until about 13 weeks, and I had several days off with that over a few weeks, then it seemed to calm down. Then the last few weeks I've been exhausted, and occasionally been unable to work as after 15 hours sleep I've still not been able to get out of bed! Then recently I've started feeling really rotten again - stomach pains, nausea, exhaustion - and missed a few days.

Is it really bad that I'm not making it into work - I mean these are all fairly standard pregnancy things? I know my work can't penalise me for pregnancy stuff (and they're really good and understanding about it all), but I kind of feel like I should be able to deal and struggle through. Just after other people's experiences please!

crokky Wed 09-Jul-08 13:08:57

I worked a total of about 5 days throughout my entire pregnancy. I had very bad sickness and other complications! Don't worry!

NorthernLurker Wed 09-Jul-08 13:13:39

You should get your midwife to check you out to make sure you're not brewing anything nasty like a bladder infection. As for my experience - I was a sick as a dog for large parts of my last pregnancy. I kept going, never had time off sick, dragged myself to and fro work etc etc - because I felt I should. I still got totally done over on returning from maternity leave. I got no credit for gritting my teeth - I really, really should have had time off. Take care of yourself, take care of your baby and don't feel guilty!!

Katelyn Wed 09-Jul-08 13:16:59

I think it's important to realise it isn't an illness. It's also important to realise that our bodies have a way of telling us when enough is enough.

If you cannot actually get out of bed then it shouldnt matter whether it's normal or not. You cannot make it into work its as simple as that.

I'm 35 weeks pregnant, due to go on Maternity Leave in two weeks. I'm exhausted but i'm not sick or ill. My Personell Director has this morning come to see me and TOLD me that if i'm insisting on working the next two weeks, I'm to come in late and go home early.

It really is down to the individual. I would say though that the exhaustion thing is only going to get worse and if after 15 hours of SLEEP you're still unable to get out of bed it may be worth checking that your Iron levels are normal with your midwife.

Look after yourself and your baby.

Katelyn

Blondie79 Wed 09-Jul-08 13:17:39

Hi Rhian,
I'm in the same boat - have now been signed off work for 4 weeks with severe morning sickness having been hospitalised with it. This is my 3rd and I was like NL with my 1st - i dragged myself into work whilst suffering with terrible morning sickness and got no thanks for it - in the end my midwife threatened me with hospital if I did not stay off work til it passed. You need to make sure that you are right - and I certainly won't be rushing back to work until I am well enough. Take care and I hope that you feel better soon.

lackaDAISYcal Wed 09-Jul-08 13:19:27

I was due to go back to work after holidays taken immediately after my last ML in May and have been signed off with Antenatal depression since then, and won't be back before my next ML starts in the middle of August.

I'm not worrying about it......too many other things to worry about and my psych says it's not helping wink

so, no, it's not really that bad that you are missing a few days here and there.

and agree you should get yourself checked out as UTIs are pretty common, and often aren't accompanied by the usual symptoms. I had one that was just cramping across my lowere abdomen; no pain weeing or anything and it made me feel very ill and run down.

bikerunski Wed 09-Jul-08 13:27:57

Rhian 2 days off with m/s (although work didn't know that, I bluffed through with "sickness and migraine" and let them think it was a stomach bug), switly followed by 6 weeks off with hyperemisis (much of this time was in hospital, I'd let work know I was pg by then). 2 more months working part time, building back up to full time. The part time return was at work's insistance and I was carefully monitored by Occupational Health who told me off for doing too many hours one week. My line manager would also make sure I'd gone home by 2pm when I was working part time.

I appreciate that I work for a really good employer in this respect, but as my line amamger says (it may help that she is a mum of 2 herself) "work is never as important as pregnancy".

I was a real workaholic before I was pg, but this experience has really made me learn when to stop!

30 weeks now.

You've got to listen to your body and take care of yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

bikerunski Wed 09-Jul-08 13:28:50

PS Had hardly ever had any tiem off work before the pg. Was horrified when I got a sick note from my GP, but I got over it!

bikerunski Wed 09-Jul-08 13:28:52

PS Had hardly ever had any tiem off work before the pg. Was horrified when I got a sick note from my GP, but I got over it!

babylove123 Wed 09-Jul-08 21:00:54

Hi,

im 20 weeks pg. Have had hyperemesis from week 4 - 16. Worked through it as much as poss but ended up with 3 weeks off. Got hospitalised too which was the last straw. Lost 2 stone in 9 weeks. I work in a small office with only men so it wasnt an easy time!!!!! Nothing i could do though! they heard me throwing up enough to know i wasnt fibbing!

IceCube Wed 09-Jul-08 21:45:31

Don't know if the laws have changed but a couple of years ago when I was temping in a HR dept. they had a problem with a pregnant lady taking alot of time off.

They read up on the laws and were able to force her to start her maternity leave early because of her pregnanacy related absenses.

Can't remember how much time she had taken off but scary to think about the impact if you were so ill you had to take alot of time off and then found yourself sent home early and having to have less time after the birth.

IceCube Wed 09-Jul-08 21:46:26

Don't know if the laws have changed but a couple of years ago when I was temping in a HR dept. they had a problem with a pregnant lady taking alot of time off.

They read up on the laws and were able to force her to start her maternity leave early because of her pregnanacy related absenses.

Can't remember how much time she had taken off but scary to think about the impact if you were so ill you had to take alot of time off and then found yourself sent home early and having to have less time after the birth.

IceCube Wed 09-Jul-08 21:46:30

star6 Thu 10-Jul-08 07:39:50

My employer told me that if I am within 6 weeks of my due date and take ANY time off (even a day!) for maternity related illness, they can dtermine that I am "unfit" to work and force me to start my maternity leave then.... which really scares me as it's only 6 weeks at 90% pay before SMP anyway!!
I have toughed it out and worked through the morning sickness, extreme fatigue...etc. I'm only 26 weeks now but afraid that if I had even let on that I was having difficulty that they'd be more wary toward the end and I want to work up until I give birth.

NorthernLurker Thu 10-Jul-08 08:00:37

I think it's the last four weeks that applys to - by which time most people are ready to leave any way!

star6 Thu 10-Jul-08 08:15:53

I have a letter that says last 6 weeks. I know I will be ready to leave, but simply cannot afford to leave then.

NorthernLurker Thu 10-Jul-08 09:25:00

they are wrong - see the section of starting leave and don't let them bully you

star6 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:33:02

Thanks NorthernLurker

Pinkglow Thu 10-Jul-08 09:43:21

I took loads of days here and there before being signed off for a month, my bosses were fine with it but then i work for a big company so they dont notice if someones off

star6 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:16:27

in my job, at the end of the year, you are paid for any days that you didn't take off as sick leave. Its quite a bit of money at the end of the year to look forward to!! I'm a teacher, so holidays are plentiful and regular (which is lucky!) but we don't get to choose when they are.

LittleNona Thu 07-Aug-08 14:54:08

I am 18 weeks pregnant and for the last month i have had so much time off. First it was due to major headaches, which i still have. Now tho i think its a depression issue. Which make me think that im taking time off for the wrong reasons

Work are not very understanding, which does not help. Do you think i should produce a sick note, or should they just understand im a pregnant woman?

Im worried i will get sacked.

bobbin86 Wed 08-Feb-12 13:05:23

hi there! i have something called trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain). and since i found out that i was pregnant ive been off my meds that help control it, but im finding that as my pregnancy goes on that tese attacks are getting harder to deal with and it taking my body longer to recover from them and im taking more time off work. what advice could anyone give me on this? my work doesnt seem to believe me as these attacks can happen at anytime!

Kangarobber Wed 08-Feb-12 13:10:31

If you have the option, then take it!

I'm 15 weeks with DC4 and struggling badly with nausea and exhaustion. I long to phone in sick, but as I have a toddler to look after and 2 older DCs to ferry to and from school, cooking, washing etc it's sadly not possible sad. I'm starting to wonder how I am going to get through the next few months.

mumsrthebest Wed 08-Feb-12 13:42:18

I had a week off at the beginning of my pregnancy due to morning sickness. I felt really bad for letting them down but I just felt so horrible. I was offered the opportunity to leave work early some days or arrive later if need be just because I wasn't sleeping well at night and was so tired during the day.

I know what you mean though, I felt that some people thought I was milking it. But, who cares! I have changed me oppinion now I am on Maternity Leave.

If you are given the opportunity take it.

politico Wed 08-Feb-12 14:17:06

I'd never been signed off sick before, but am now 29 weeks and am on my third week of sick leave because of SPD - really bad pelvis pain and no sleep, can't walk any distance. On top of physio, the rest has really helped me, and I'm hoping to get back to work, a mix of working from home and being back in the office, from next week.

I hated the thought of a sick note, never had one in my life before, and I hated the thought of letting anyone down, but my GP and work have both been sympathetic. At the end of the day, it's not just for the sake of your health, it's for the health of your baby. Take off the time you need and you're more likely to be able to return and do what you can, rather than pushing yourself, stressing yourself out, and impacting on your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now