Talk

Advanced search

Positive test this am [smile], need info on exercise

(15 Posts)
Lexie100 Wed 02-Feb-05 17:07:07

Hi, I go to the gym about 4 times a week and do loads of weights and CV stuff (body pump, spinning, body attack). I was just wondering if there anything i should avoid doing as i'm only 4 and a half weeks gone? Will carrying on hurt the development in these early days?

jessicasmummy Wed 02-Feb-05 17:08:38

Congrats Lexie!!!!!!

Gwenick Wed 02-Feb-05 17:11:25

Congrats - don't know about the ins and outs of it - but I'd speak to the people at the gym - they should be able to tell you what is still ok and what isn't. You certainly shouldn't be training 'as hard' as you have been - but I 'think' some is still ok - but as I said best to ask at the gym (and if they don't have a clue find a new gym LOL)

Hulababy Wed 02-Feb-05 17:15:08

Congratulations!

Do you have a trainer at the gym? When I fell pg, I asked them for advice straigt away and they changed my programme. I didn't do proper weights after that - well, only very light ones but more repetitions. But I did do cardio stuff - walking/running/cycling/rowing. I think you just need to listen to your body with that and only push yourself a low amount. As soon as you feel tired (which even so early in pg may well be sooner than you think) you should stop and rest.

DH's colleague is a very good runner and she ran throughout her pg until weeks before the birth.

Pidge Wed 02-Feb-05 17:15:20

I think the advice is not to exercise to exhaustion and that a consistently raised body temperature from extreme exercise is not a great idea.

So you may need to scale back your normal routine a bit, but definitely don't stop. The other thing you need to be aware of is that pregnancy can make your ligaments more stretchy than usual, and it's easier to pull / strain things. But I think that's more a factor later on. Basically - listen to what your body is telling you.

I've cycled (30-40 mins, twice a day, 4 times a week) throughout this pregnancy - just quitting at 8 months, and have found it a brilliant way of keeping healthy.

And CONGRATULATIONS!

Lexie100 Wed 02-Feb-05 17:25:49

Thanks all. I'm sooooo excited yet terrified all at the same time.

cori Wed 02-Feb-05 17:32:58

COngratulations Lexie100, I am 5 weeks pg. Come over a join the Due in October thread.

lowcalCOD Wed 02-Feb-05 17:33:28

hula re you pg?

Hulababy Wed 02-Feb-05 19:26:55

Cod - no, was talking about last time I was pg. Maybe one month soon!

maretta Wed 02-Feb-05 19:56:39

Hi congratulations.

I did body pump with my ds until I was about 6 months gone. I had to adapt a bit, I put my bench on a slope so that I wasn't lying flat on my back. I think your body makes it perfectly clear when it's had enough. I seem to remember upright rows became impossible, I was having to spread my legs wider and wider to so squats and getting up of the bench with a bar becomes impossible when you can't rest it on your tummy.

Be careful though, when your ligaments start to go lax, it's very easy to injure yourself.

I also found with regards to over heating that I just couldn't do the cv stuff as well as I had been able to. I took that as a sign that I wasn't supposed to be.

mummygow Wed 02-Feb-05 19:59:44

Congratulations Lexi100 is take it this is your first preg, you make sure you enjoy every minute of it as it is magical!!!!!!

Lexie100 Thu 03-Feb-05 07:56:03

Thanks all.

Thanks also about the body pump info. I think my life is just about to be turned upside down. I go to the gym all the time (sad i know but got into the habbit when was rowing). Will ask at the gym. Seems funny to tell complete strangers you are pregnant but not your family!

LadyLazarus Thu 03-Feb-05 09:22:30

I read somewhere recently that when pg your heartrate shouldn't go above 140, if that helps!

Lolasmum Thu 03-Feb-05 14:24:48

I told them at my gym when I was 5 weeks pregnant. They told me not to lift weights above my head. Other than that they said I could go on as I was before (which was running, weights, classes - whatever I could squeeze in. I love the gym!)

Lolasmum Thu 03-Feb-05 14:26:38

Meant to say "I could go on as before until I'm 12-14 weeks pregnant". At that point they'll do another programme for me. I'm 17 weeks now and haven't got 'roudn to it yet.... I've just been doing running, swimming and aqua-aerobics. I'm booked in for a review next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now