Talk

Advanced search

Achy hips - any advice?!

(17 Posts)
MimisMama Wed 09-Jul-08 09:51:44

I've started to get sore hips, particularly in bed (I'm 31wks pg).

I've been putting a pillow between my legs and lying on my side but it doesn't seem to be helping much - what am I doing wrong?!

Does the pillow need to be quite thick so that your knees are at the same height as your hips (I'll have to use two!! grin)?

Any other advice would be appreciated - thanks!

lulumama Wed 09-Jul-08 09:52:46

you can get a sarong or long wide piece of fabric and tie it tightly around your hips, under your bump to help support you. best done round the house though !!

springerspaniel Wed 09-Jul-08 09:56:23

Also - talk to your midwife. I mentioned this a while ago and she said there was a pregnancy physiotherapist who could help.

Mine never got too bad so didn't bother.

I use two pillows instead of one sometimes when it is more painful.

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 09-Jul-08 09:58:07

I get this - it's horrid isn't it
The only thing that helps is laboriously and painfully turning over until the other side cramps up.

thumbwitch Wed 09-Jul-08 09:59:07

do you mean a pressure pain in the actual hip, or do you mean pain across the pelvis?

I ask because I had dreadful pressure pain in the hip/leg joint and I ended up having to sleep on my very squishy studio couch for the last 3 months, as the pain would wake me up after about 1 1/2 hours sleep. If you have a nice long couch, try laying folded duvets on it (to increase squishiness); the back of the couch helped a lot as support as well.

HTH

Mimsy2000 Wed 09-Jul-08 10:10:30

i've started getting this too but so far pillows between leg and under bump and then turning over periodically seem to help. don't see why you couldn't put a hot water bottle under your hips....

thumbwitch Wed 09-Jul-08 10:12:32

ah yes, I forgot about the pillow under the bump - that is essential to avoid the dragging pull of the bump on the back muscles

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 09-Jul-08 10:18:45

Sitting on and doing hip circles on a birthing ball may help ease the tightness in your hips.

MimisMama Wed 09-Jul-08 10:20:26

Thanks everyone for your messages!

Its an aching in the hip joint, not across the pelvis.

I also agree with using a bump pillow!

I've got a sheepskin mattress topper that my sister lent me, but might try increasing the squishyness hmm ! and see if that helps too. Like the idea of a hot water bottle (as long as we don't start getting proper July weather..!)

Thanks again!

springerspaniel Wed 09-Jul-08 10:25:41

Oh yeah - forgot about hot water bottle - that helps too.

gillythekid Wed 09-Jul-08 11:43:47

My SPD is felt in the hips at night. Don't leave it, get to an obstetric physio ASAP to avoid any complications post birth just in case, a pillow between the legs isn't enough!!!

TheHedgeWitch Wed 09-Jul-08 11:50:22

Message withdrawn

e14mum Wed 09-Jul-08 13:29:31

Achy hips are awful! I saw a women's health physio who gave me some stretches to do which did help some. I slept on an inflatable mattress next to the bed for a while. It was soft enough to let me sleep half on the bump if you can imagine it! Also tried sleeping propped up on pillows on my back- this was ok too, but I needed about 4 pillows under me and one under my knees.
It will go away after the baby is born... not long now!

stiggywiggywoo Wed 09-Jul-08 14:03:00

I am 36 weeks and have had this for a couple of months. It has improved since I placed a folded squishy duvet underneath me to lie on and also removed my under bump pillow - which I think was actually making it worse. The physiotherapist recommended the pillow between the legs but I found that made it worse as well.I think its trial and error with the pillows, leg positions etc as to how long a sleep you can get before inevitably you have to wake up and heave yourself over every 20 minutes.I managed 5 hours last night which was pretty good for me.I've forgotten what a good night's sleep feels like so you have my sympathy.

notcitrus Wed 09-Jul-08 14:24:54

I have two duvets under me to make my bed softer, and then being on my side with a flattish pillow between my thighs is quite good. Another pillow to hold my bum in place is helping now I'm 30 weeks.

While I have hip pain that's worse in bed, the worst bit is the middle of the pubis if I lie on my back - tightening my pelvic floor and lower tummy (as if pulling on tight jeans) helps when I need to turn over. But I also got prescribed cocodamol - 60mg of codeine gets me about 5 hours sleep a night. I guess in a couple months I'll consider that 'sleeping through'...

notsogummyanymore Wed 09-Jul-08 17:07:14

i've had this both times too. the first time i went for physio but no improvement. when i mentioned it this time around my midwife suggested paracetomol! decided not to do that bexause don't want to be taking paracetomol every night til baby is born! (started at about 20ish weeks!)anyway i feel for you! think i;'ve just resigned myself to waking every couple of hours now and heaving myself over. long pillow between the legs helps a little though. am also going to get a mattress topper as well, see if that helps. sorry no advice, just sympathy.

MimisMama Wed 09-Jul-08 19:39:44

Thanks for your suggestions and sympathy - will let you know how I get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now