Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Deeply, deeply embarrassed... and a teensy bit concerned

(51 Posts)
hopefully Tue 08-Jul-08 13:34:12

Have just had the most embarrassing thing happen, and am now also wondering if I should be worrying.

I've had rather (TMI, sorry), damper kniockers than normal since being pregnant, although nothing too unpleasant. However, have just stood up from my desk and walked to the toilet, and when I got there I realised that my knickers and about a 15cm patch on the back of my dress were soaking wet. Aside from the awful awful shame of having walked away from my (all male) colleagues with a massive and v obvious wet patch on my dress (blush blush blush), should I be concerned about it? Just come back to chair and it is also quite damp where fluid soaked through.

As far as I can tell, wetness was almost entirely odourless - what smell it did have wasn't unpleasant or anything - and clear.

Should I be calling the MW? Have an appointment with her on thursday anyway...

Am 31 weeks, by the way.

MsDemeanor Tue 08-Jul-08 13:35:30

Yes, I'd definitely call the midwife.

TheHedgeWitch Tue 08-Jul-08 13:35:52

Message withdrawn

PussinWellies Tue 08-Jul-08 13:36:13

Poor you -- but you really can't ignore this as it could be your waters leaking. Phone the MW right away, and all the very best!

claricebeansmum Tue 08-Jul-08 13:36:30

That sounds like quite alot of fluid IMO. I would give her a call.

lulumama Tue 08-Jul-08 13:37:57

it is either urine or amntiotic fluid

i would call the MW and ask to be seen and checked today, just in case

go and get some sanitary pads

theinsider Tue 08-Jul-08 13:39:55

Sounds like could well be a bit of waters leaking (odourless, clear). Would definitely call midwife.

As for the embarrassment factor, I know you must feel mortified. Is it possible no one saw, the patch doesn't sound that big? Were you wearing a colour which really shows it?

Remember if it is waters then really there is no cause to be embarrassed, it can happen anywhere, be thankful it wasn't a bigger gush. It if was wee then i'm sure you're colleagues will take the piss never stop teasing you.

Seriously though, call midwife, and fingers crossed.

hopefully Tue 08-Jul-08 13:39:56

OK, will call her - was worried I was being stupid and you would all say it was fine and midwife would think I am mad pregnant lady.

Will let you know what she says, thanks for the advice!

Sunshinemummy Tue 08-Jul-08 13:40:23

Hopefully just seen this. Do get it checked out and let us know how you get on.

Snaf Tue 08-Jul-08 13:40:26

Yep, definitely call labour ward/day assessment unit/midwife. Sounds as if your waters might be leaking, in which case you need to be checked out. Don't leave it until Thursday (but don't worry too much, either - these leaks can reseal themselves).

Is the baby moving as normal?

missblythe Tue 08-Jul-08 13:41:00

Call the midwife, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Am sure your male colleagues will either:

a) have not noticed, pregnant women being invisible.

or b) be even more embarrassed than you

Snaf Tue 08-Jul-08 13:41:33

And put a pad on, forgot to say. Mws will want to see the fluid if possible.

hopefully Tue 08-Jul-08 13:41:52

Theinsider I am so embarrassed you wouldn't believe - I even shed a tear or two of shame in the toilet...

Luckily male colleagues are all shy financial geeks, so will probably never mention it!

cheesesarnie Tue 08-Jul-08 13:41:56

i had this wih first pregnancy and wastoo embarressed to tell anyone.i thought i was wetting myself.turns out it was amnitiotic fluid.was all ok.but wish id not been too embarresed to tell anyone.

Pidge Tue 08-Jul-08 13:43:04

hopefully - get on that phone to the midwife - that does sound like a lot of fluid. We don't want yet another early arrival on the September thread wink. Hope you are ok. And I bet your male colleagues never noticed a thing.

theinsider Tue 08-Jul-08 13:45:52

Oh hopefully, really feel for you. But missblythe will be right:

"Am sure your male colleagues will either:

a) have not noticed, pregnant women being invisible.

or b) be even more embarrassed than you"

Especially if they're shy financial geeks. They will never mention it.

myermay Tue 08-Jul-08 13:47:46

i would definetely call them, they can do a test to see if it is your waters

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 08-Jul-08 13:48:25

Oh how mortifying. Maybe you could send round a team email pointing out that you didn't just wee yourself, it was pregnant lady business...I'm not even joking, that's what I would do! Eek

Ladytophamhatt Tue 08-Jul-08 13:51:36

I would have just said , reallly loudly "OMG I think my waters have gone"

you'd have every man in the whole building running around liek a\ headless chicken trying to help.

Really, I wouldn't be emnbarrasssed at all.

You must call the MW.

callmeovercautious Tue 08-Jul-08 13:52:08

Please don't be embarrassed. Is there any other women in the office?, perhaps someone who has DC of there own? You might need someone to walk behind you when you leave your desk smile Can you sneak away home now and see the MW?

hopefully Tue 08-Jul-08 13:53:57

Have just spoken to the midwife. She reassured me that it's probably absolutely fine, but have put a pad on and she said to monitor it for the next hour or two - if it's amniotic fluid it will probably come a bit more and if it's just discharge it should stop and definitely not get a pad very wet.

Irritatingly I'm working in London today, so am not even near my lovely local hospital. MW advised me to go to nearest hospital (St Thomas's, I think? Am near London Bridge) if pad is wet in a couple of hours, rather than doing 2 hour commute home.

avenanap Tue 08-Jul-08 13:54:13

Wrap a coat/jacket around your waist (as much as you can) so that it covers the spot.

Phone the midwife. I hope all is OK smile.

cheesesarnie Tue 08-Jul-08 13:54:56

glad you got hold of mw

hopefully Tue 08-Jul-08 13:55:30

I may have missed my chance ladytophamhatt, but will remember it for any future leakage! I did enquire of my colleagues what the nearest hospital was and they looked v concerned and said they thought it was Thomas's, so I'm figuring if they saw any wetness they'll make the leap and assume it is a nasty pregnancy related thing and not to be asked about!

claricebeansmum Tue 08-Jul-08 13:56:47

Hopefully - MW sounds sensible. But if you are in any doubt or unsure get to hospital. They are very used to dealing with all sorts and are very kind to mums to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now