Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The old gold ring on a chain trick - how the F does it work ?

(22 Posts)
suzywong Wed 02-Feb-05 09:58:53

You know the one, you hold a wedding ring on a chain above the bump and it spins or swings to determine the sex of the baby -

Well my pg friend 1 volunteered to let me and friend 2 have a go and I've never experienced anything like it. The ring spun for me but friend 2 must be a witch because it spun in a very big circle for her. And there was no way she was putting it on.

Have you tried it? Do you know how it works?

nailpolish Wed 02-Feb-05 10:00:57

hi suzy is it not circle for a girl and side to side/up and down for a boy?

i did it and had circles both times (well, mum did it)

its pretty freaky

suzywong Wed 02-Feb-05 10:02:11

yes it is NP
but I mean how what is the magic/physics/mystery? I'm a real sceptic but there was no mistaking the energy effecting the ring.

when are you coming to perth?

nailpolish Wed 02-Feb-05 10:05:17

oh didnt know you were delving into the physics of it all - cant help you with that.

not coming to perth til 2007

still in the middle of all the paperwork, havent had medicals done yet, and have to save money (long slow process of saving)

when are you going to wave at me on the webcam???

suzywong Wed 02-Feb-05 10:08:25

that's only 2 years away!

I will do that webcam we'll have to work out the best time and I'll call you on my mobile when I'm doing it

nailpolish Wed 02-Feb-05 10:09:07

perth is on hold for a bit actually, apart from what i mentioned earlier.

things are hard just now with me, not having much of a good time coping at home just now, wont bore you with details, therefore anything apart from getting through the day is on hold.

its still there though, perth, and a possibility.

sorry, blithering now.

nailpolish Wed 02-Feb-05 10:10:44

we would have to alert everyone on mn, there would be a huge en-mass huff if we didnt!!!!!

do you recognise the webcam site? (a motorway?)

suzywong Wed 02-Feb-05 12:51:22

oh blimey, I'll have to hold up a sign then instead of just waving if the rest of them want to see it.

suzywong Wed 02-Feb-05 13:18:49

bump

does anyone know how or why it works?

Tommy Wed 02-Feb-05 13:25:08

I thought it was just an old wives tale?!

suzywong Wed 02-Feb-05 13:28:33

so did I, but I have seen it done and I did it a bit too. My friend was in no way moving the ring, in fact to make a dangling object gain momentum and a steady increase in orbit is very hard without causing jerky movements at the start

It really is incredible but it definitely works.

LittleB Wed 02-Feb-05 13:29:02

I did yoga and we learnt about the Chakras - the energy points on your body which can also cause a pendulum to move. We were told that it works by reacting to the energy that your body gives out, I'm a bit sceptical, but I do know that the body gives out energy and I guess it could be different depending on a boy or a girl, although we learnt that other things such as health and frame of mind can also affect your energy. Don't expect that helps much though!

kid Wed 02-Feb-05 13:31:07

Just did a search and found this, still doesn't answer your question but I thought it was funny!

You're more likely to be carrying a boy if...

• Your baby's heartbeat is lower than 140 beats per minute

• you're carrying all out front

• you're carrying low

• you're blooming in pregnancy

• you didn't suffer from morning sickness in your first trimester

• your right breast is bigger than your left

• you look at yourself in the mirror for at least a minute and your pupils dilate

• you crave salty food or protein, such as cheese and meat

• your feet become cold more quickly than before you were pregnant

• you tie your wedding ring to some thread, hang it over your stomach and it moves in circles

• your skin becomes dry

• you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is even

• your hair has become more full-bodied and shiny during pregnancy

• the hair on your legs has been growing faster during pregnancy

• you are more prone to headaches

• your pillow faces north when you sleep

• you're asked to show your hands and you present them palms down

• you lie on your left side when sleeping

• your urine is bright yellow

• you were the more aggressive partner during love-making when you conceived

• you eat a clove of garlic and the smell seeps out of your pores

• your previous child's first word was "dada".

You're more likely to be having a girl if…

• Your baby's heartbeat is faster than 140 beats per minute

• you're carrying all round

• you're carrying high

• you've missed the "blooming" period altogether

• you suffered morning sickness during your first twelve weeks

• your left breast is bigger than your right

• you look at yourself in the mirror for at least a minute, but your pupils don't dilate

• you crave sweet things, such as juice, fruit and sweets

• you tie your wedding ring to some thread, hang it over your stomach and it swings from side to side

• your skin is soft

• you are more moody than usual

• you're asked to show your hands and you present them palms up

• you were the less aggressive partner during love-making when you conceived

• you eat a clove of garlic, but you don't smell of it

• you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd

• your hair has become thinner and dull during pregnancy

• you lie on your right side when sleeping

• your pillow faces south when you sleep

• your urine is dull yellow

• your previous child's first word was "mama".

Tommy Wed 02-Feb-05 18:18:01

Oh no kid! My 2 DSs are really girls!!!!!

blueteddy Wed 02-Feb-05 18:43:03

The freakiest one, is when you hold the wedding ring over the palm of your hand & it is ment to indicate how many kids you will have.
It swings/circles with stops in between to show how many children & what their sexes will be!
It was right for my 2 ds's (swung twice), but then it circles, indicating a girl & dh had a vasectomy after ds2!!!

blueteddy Wed 02-Feb-05 18:48:08

I have never heard before that the ring going round in circles indicates a boy though!
If that is the case, the palm one was completly wrong, as my ds's should be girls if that is the case!!!

blueteddy Wed 02-Feb-05 18:49:12

Did not mean to write "If that is the case" twice!!!

happymerryberries Wed 02-Feb-05 18:51:46

It is a 50:50 chance!

blueteddy Wed 02-Feb-05 18:52:10

Quite!!!

kalex Wed 02-Feb-05 19:09:28

np, you could alwys come to perth scot and visit me!!!!

The ring thing said that i would have girl girl boy, def m/c, and have a girl boy. and no more so thumbs up to it. I really wanted three

blueteddy Wed 02-Feb-05 19:13:05

Apparantly it works with a needle on a bit of cotton too.

Dingle Wed 02-Feb-05 19:22:13

Don't know of any real reasons but I have held a chain and St.Christopher over the palm of my hand and it ALWAYS comes out the same.
When you've said about the chain circling, well I know what you mean my circles go round like mad-really large circles as opposed to straight lines,really swinging from side to side. Really definate movements.
Don't know of any link, haven't done it for a while but it's always same order and if I remember rightly I have 3 circles and 2 lines, after that it just stops dead!!
(I have 1 ds & 1 dd-no plans for any more!)

Come on someone give me some insight!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now