Talk

Advanced search

Retroverted uterus causing retention of urine? Anybody else?

(11 Posts)
mumoftoby Mon 07-Jul-08 20:37:40

I have now had my second baby but ended up in absolute agony at 15 weeks during the pregnancy. I had been told at the scan with my first son that I had a retroverted uterus but that this would tilt the correct way as my pregnancy progressed. At 14 weeks with my second pregnancy I started to get symptoms a bit like a water infection but without the burning. I told my mum who used to be a midwife and she told me to drink plenty. I ended up in agony and had to be rushed to hospital and had 2 litres drained from my bladder by catheter - which I had to keep in for 2 weeks until my womb did eventually tip the correct way.

Has anybody had this before and have they heard if they are then more likely to get it again with subsequent babies?

TotalChaos Mon 07-Jul-08 20:45:33

I had urinary retention the night after I gave birth to DS. It was absolutely agonising, so many sympathies. I was told a few months after labour when I had my smear done that I have a retroverted uterus, but noone linked the two iyswim. Have never been pg again, so can't comment on subsequent pgs.

bessmum Tue 08-Jul-08 21:41:13

Hi Mumoftoby I had this problem too at 14 weeks pregnant with my first. I had been on a night out with friends and had drunk lots of mineral water each time someone bought a round. Like you I ended up in an ambulance to A and E where I had to have a catheter put in. I didn't know that I had a retroverted uterus but was told this was probably why it happened. I am now 20 weeks with number 2 and have had no problems so far, I've been told that it shouldn't happen after about 16-18 weeks as the uterus will have lifted up and have more space so not squash the bladder. I agree with you about the absolute agony!

mumoftoby Wed 09-Jul-08 12:25:28

Thanks bessmum that is great to hear.

GBR Wed 09-Jul-08 13:00:58

Oh my god, I had exactly the same thing - at fifteen weeks too!! Had never heard of it before. Couldn't go to the loo, from about 4am to ambulance turning up at 9.30am, finally got a catheter at about 11am and they drained 2.5 litres!! I thought I was going to die. I didn't have this with my first, though I did know I had a retroverted uterus .... now it's all explained!

GBR Wed 09-Jul-08 13:02:23

BTW I stayed in for two nights and by the time I left on the Sunday afternoon, things had moved enough for it to resolve itself naturally.

TotalChaos Wed 09-Jul-08 16:52:24

2.5 litres OMG shockshock. You poor thing. I had a mere 1 litre and felt awful enough.

GBR Wed 09-Jul-08 19:30:40

It was hideous - they did one and a half bags straight off (nearly caused a flood in A&E!) and the rest within the next hour or two! At least I know I have a nice stretchy bladder ...

mumoftoby Thu 10-Jul-08 21:25:12

I honestly thought my bladder was going to burst. I turned up in work that morning (before it was unbearably painful) and two people said that I had started to show. But it was actually just my bladder being so full. Apparently a similar thing happens to blokes with prostate problems - makes me glad that I am female and hopefully not likely to get it again.

MummysLuvy Tue 15-Jul-08 21:08:46

I didn't even know that I had a tilted uterus at 11 weeks pregnant (1st) when I was admitted to ER to get the catheter. The catheter being inserted was very unpleasant but the smile on my face from the relief was priceless. I had to wear the catheter for 2 days, but it was so uncomfortable that I could had my OB to remove it after one day. We hoped that the problem wouldn't come back. Now at 20 weeks, the problem hasn't come back, but my bladder is barely draining when I go to pee and that's meaning more trips to the ladies room. One night I woke up out of my sleep 9 times, that might qualify as a record. The next morning wasn't any better. I have to push a bit to get as much out as I can, but its not enough. I will bring this up to my doctor at my next visit.

mumoftoby Tue 15-Jul-08 21:26:46

Poor you with it going on for so long. Wearing a catheter isn't great but I did get used to it after a few days. I constantly had to have a bag attached (rather than just a 'tap' type one) so that my bladder was always empty and to give room for my womb to tip the correct way. I was also told to lie on my front as much as possible to help gravity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now