Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What maternity bras offer good support?

(26 Posts)
nobodysfool Mon 07-Jul-08 18:50:48

I'm usually a 32E but starting to have problems fitting in my bras.
I'm only 12 weeks pg so i didn't really expect to need them so quickly.
I went to Debenhams,Marks and Spencers and Mothercare but when i tried on the maternity bras they didn't seem to offer much support and were really unflattering to my boobs.
Has anybody else worn underwired bras i was told with my last pregnancy that i wasn't meant to (milk production or something).
Can you recommend and decent bras and where to find them?
Many thanks.

savoycabbage Mon 07-Jul-08 19:14:12

I used a Nike sports bra for my massive bazookas at the end of my pregnancies and M&S maternity bras the rest of the time.

Before I discovered the sports bras I toyed with those M&S secret support vest type things.

Mine are a 32 E now, I am longing to be a DD so I can buy pretty bras from Marks and Spencers....

LadySanders Mon 07-Jul-08 19:19:16

i wore ordinary underwired bras throughout (recent) 2nd pregnancy. much nicer than the hideous maternity ones i wore in 1st preg. esp good to make the most of it since have now been in thoroughly unappealing b/feeding bras for 5 months. (though by the way, mothercare do a good t shirt style firm cupped bra - without underwires - which is giving me a bit of shape at least)

nobodysfool Mon 07-Jul-08 19:20:41

Thank you both
I saw the t shirt bra ones on MC but they didnt have my size in stock.Will try again later this week.

Lizzzombie Mon 07-Jul-08 19:32:37

I wore underwires throughout my pregnancy, until bump got too big and it was uncomfortable.
As long as you have a correctly fitting bra there is no reason not to wear underwires if you prefer them.
The problems can occur when you wear the incorrect size.
I fitted bras for nearly 2 years in bravissimo and fitted a couple of midwives when I worked there where we discussed this, and they were of the same opionion.
I now work at MC fitting women for maternity and nursing bras.
At 12 weeks your bra, underwired or not, should allow you to comfortably fit your whole hand in the cup to allow for any growth, and also, it should fasten securely on the TIGHEST notch. (when you are not pregnant, a new bra should fit the loosest notch and you bring it in a notch at a time as the elastic gets older)
When pregant you fit it to the tightest, therefore allowing for your ribcage to expand as the bump grows/or in case you put weight on over the next few months.

Maternity bras were designed for function rather than style, especially in anything bigger than an E cup, and unfortunately I am yet to find anything which is something you would actually choose to buy! (apart from the Agent Provocateur range which rrp is £60!)

HTH x

ps - E cup in the MC molded range are about 2 weeks wait time I believe and they go really quickly. (also, they come up small - more like a DD)

nobodysfool Mon 07-Jul-08 20:36:44

Lizziezombie-thanks for all your knowledge and advice.I think i may stick to the underwired bras for a while till like you said it gets uncomfortable.
I dont mind what they look like (would obviously prefer a pretty design) as long as the offer proper support.
The styles i tried on didnt lift or support by boobs like my regular bra does.
Are there any bravissamo bras that lift and support without squashing them?

MummyToOneForNow Mon 07-Jul-08 20:48:23

I found a Royce bra in John Lewis that I was very happy with - pricey at £28 but a much better fit than any I found in M&S (am an F cup at the moment so limited choices )

Gonkster Mon 07-Jul-08 20:52:11

If you can afford it, then look at Rigby and Peller online. Small selection, but they are proper supportive soft cup bras. I went from 32 E to a 32 GG in pregnancy and after. Bought some M&S and they were absolutely rubbish. Sadly, if you want nice looking, good supporting, soft cup bras, you have to pay, I found, but it was a worthwhile investment.

I did get another good one from Bravvissimo - which lasted a long time and looked lovely.

chocbiscuits Mon 07-Jul-08 21:06:39

I just wear normal ones, and wore them all last pg. Also got back into normal ones after dropped most of my bf feedings (think Ds was about 14 months then, we went on a bit).

Normally 34DD, scarily went up to 36H during first preg, but went back to normal size after number of bfs dropped!! Languishing at F at the moment which is not my fave!

EffiePerine Mon 07-Jul-08 21:09:36

I had a Rigby and Peller one and it was really nice. Other than that, the Triumph Doreen bras are really supportive (I'm a F/G cup) but really, really ugly. This time round, I'm wearing underwireds that fit) or sports bras.

nobodysfool Mon 07-Jul-08 21:52:49

Thanks all so much for the ideas.
I usually wear Rigby and Peller but didn't know they do maternity (duh).
Will have a look at the other suggestions as well.

ilovemydog Mon 07-Jul-08 21:53:48

bravado

rrrayray Mon 07-Jul-08 22:53:10

I am also a 32 D, Although am now a DD.

I'm in M&S one, unlike some, looks like a normal bra, Nice shape, not Scary looking, and not a fortune, See what you think!

*http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B000OQYJLG/sr=1-5/qid=1215467531/ref=sr15/026 -4190850-2341236?ie=UTF8&node=43303030&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=&page= *

However, that said, since buying a maternity bras, one of my friends pointed out that first timers like me, if they itend to breast feed are best of finding, even if you have to pay slightly more, a maternity/nursing bra, as otherwise once bubba arrives your going to have to shell out again for nursing bras. Just a thought!

Also, Blooming marvelous seem to have a lovely selection of both maternity and nursing.

nobodysfool Tue 08-Jul-08 19:20:33

Thanks ray-couldn't get the link to work though.

bikerunski Wed 09-Jul-08 10:49:04

I'm usualy 34D, and went into a maternity bra at 38C. Had M&S (£20 for two pack) and didn't think they offered much support. Boobs have got bigger again and I'm now in 38DD from Mothercare. Similar price (£22 for two pack) and much more supportive.

I have been told not to get nursing bras until about a fortnight before due date as they have to be fitted differently. Ribcage will contract when bubba is born, but cups will get bigger when milk comes in, so you'll be a different size yet again!

witchandchips Wed 09-Jul-08 10:59:11

The old lady bras are the best, you can get them in cotton so they don't itch and they have wide straps that don't dig in. (I'm wearing a triumph at the mo)
Need to go to an fenwicks or john lewis or something similar to get full range of sizes.

- also stear clear of ones with more than two fastenings as they strap then comes down too low

nobodysfool Wed 09-Jul-08 13:02:10

Thanks ladies.

rrrayray Thu 10-Jul-08 19:31:31

nobodysfool- Sorry lets hope this link works, This is what i'm wearning & v. happy with.

www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B000OQYJLG/sr=1-3/qid=1215714572/ref=sr_1_3/026-4190850-2341236?i e=UTF8&node=42966030&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=maternity%20bra&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=&page=

Hope works now?

rrrayray Thu 10-Jul-08 19:32:12

If it doesnt, its the "Maternity Lace Trim Modal Padded Bra" by M&S

nobodysfool Fri 11-Jul-08 14:26:32

rrrayray- thanks for the link but they don't go up to my cup size.Pre pregnancy i'm a 32E so im assuming i have gone up to a 34 F ish.
They do look really lovely though.

MiniMarmite Fri 11-Jul-08 18:10:52

I'm normally a 32E and bought Royce and Bravissimo bras at 12 weeks in a 34DD (to allow my ribs to expand whilst maintaining the right cup size). Of the 3 styles I bought 2 are still fitting really well at 35 weeks and one (with side wires) is digging in a bit.

kookiegoddess Fri 11-Jul-08 20:17:37

Am currently braless as I type as I wore a supposedly comfy underwired bra all day today and it started digging into my ribs at about lunch time... so *watch out* investing in underwired bras! I have a pain right in the middle of my chest where the wire was obviously pressing in - guess I'll need to try all the suggestions you have made above too.

olyoly Fri 11-Jul-08 21:52:12

I love Anita bras. Very supportive and comfortable. Figleaves has them, I think.

nobodysfool Fri 11-Jul-08 22:14:13

Minimarmite-if you were a 32e pre pgcy why did you buy a DD?Is that the thing to do when buying maternity bras.....it's been 3 years since i last bought some so excuse my daft question.
Olyoly-They look nice, how does the sizing come up?

MiniMarmite Sat 12-Jul-08 08:42:36

Hi Nobodysfool

When I was 12 weeks the 34 back size only fitted on the tightest setting but as you go up in back size, cup size gets bigger too so the DD in the 34 was effectively bigger than the E in the 32 so 34 Es were too big for me.

I tried on loads of bras in 32E, 34E, 34DD, 32F and decided that overall the 34DD fitted the best and would be likely to last the longest as I could then change the back setting as my rib cage expanded. So far so good. To be honest at 35 weeks I could now do with a 36 or using one of those bra back expanders that you can get. For me the back expansion has been more significant than cup size.

I would recommend trying loads on and seeing what works best and, if you're near a Bravissimo, having a fitting there. I need to be fitted for feeding bras in the next few weeks and trying to work out where best to go for that since I don't really have a Bravissimo that near...so (sorry to hijack the thread a bit) if anyone has recommendations about that...

Good luck with the bra buying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now