Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

uterine synechia @ 20 week scan. Is it serious ?

(9 Posts)
Oblomov Wed 02-Jul-08 07:53:09

AT my 20 week scan yesterday, they said that I have a uterine synechia explanation which is a bit of 'material' that eats into/splits the amniotic sac, I think ????
Appaprently it can restricts babys movement and thus their development of their limbs and needs to be monitored, and often results in c-section, but baby was moving very very well, and it does not seem to be restricting his movement at the moment.
I was told that they would scan me again in 3 weeks to monitor this.

I can see no posts/threads on mumsnet about this, but surely it is quite common ?
Does it go under another name ?
And that I will find 1000's of other mumsnetters with this wink

Oblomov Wed 02-Jul-08 10:11:52

Bump

belgo Wed 02-Jul-08 10:13:32

I've never heard of this. Hope you can find someone who has!

Oblomov Wed 02-Jul-08 11:01:59

Cheers Belgo.
Maybe it is not as common as I thought.
But I have found another article, and it says that it is common :
amniotic sheets
I did have a miscarriage last Sep, and a D&C, and it is saying that 'scarred tissue' from that, is often the cause.
There must be lots of mumsnetters who have had this surely ?

oopsacoconut Wed 02-Jul-08 14:10:58

Hi

We had a synechia band on our 12 week scan but fortunately for us it had dissapeared but 21 weeks. For me it was in the top left corner of the uterus so was unlikely to cause any problems but i was scheduled to have extra scans at 24, 28, 32 and 36 weeks. Sorry not to be too much more help.

Oblomov Thu 03-Jul-08 11:51:30

Thank you oops. Hopefully mine will just disappear too.

mumeny Mon 14-Jul-08 20:13:51

Hi - Same as you, I've literally TRAWLED the net trying to find something about this. Recently found an amniotic band (16 weeks) have had lots of emergency scans recently, baby's fine thankfully.

Same as you, I'm hoping it will disappear and am eagerly awaiting 20 wk scan to get a better idea of what we're up against. Mine is above the cervix too so really unhelpful position!

When we were first told about it I was so pleased the baby was ok that I didn't really ask much about it, asked GP the following day who didn't know what it was, so I think it's not so widespread. I'm beginning to understand though, that as long as the baby is ok, moving well and freely then all should be well.

Good luck.

blinamouse Mon 18-Aug-08 12:34:59

I had my 12 weeks scan last week and they found an amniotic band too. At the moment the baby is no where near it but obviously I am in panic mode. I have read everything on the internet- probably not a good thing and frightened myself to death.

They are going to scan me again at 16 weeks and then 20 weeeks.

There doesn't seem to be anyone else out there who have had this!

FattipuffsandThinnifers Mon 18-Aug-08 12:47:10

Synechaie might mean scar tissue - did your dr explain? There's a condition called Ashermans Syndrome (I have it) which is scarring in the uterus caused by previous surgery - eg D&C after miscarriage or c-section. It causes bands of scarring inside the uterus as the lining is damaged. Depending on how severe it is, it can cause complications in pg but usually in conceiving, or early miscarriage, so if it is this, the fact you're 20 weeks is a great sign. If it's even moderate it is highly unlikely you won't have got pg at all, so it may well be really mild. As I said, I have it, and had a normal pg (now have 15 mo DS). When you had the D&C did you notice anything different about your periods afterwards?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now