Talk

Advanced search

Big 2nd babies

(11 Posts)
Corky Fri 28-Jan-05 18:37:15

Am 36 weeks pregnant and had a scan today as 1st baby had kidney reflux and they wanted to be extra careful with 2nd baby. All through this pregnancy I've been told I'm big and my midwife even said I'm having a big baby (it's a boy by the way!). Today they said they thought this baby was already 7lb 11oz - oh my goodness and still a potential 6 weeks to go! 1st baby was 8lb 4oz but was 8 days late. Do you think I'm heading for a 10lb baby!

janeybops Fri 28-Jan-05 18:52:25

I had the same thing with second. Scan at 37 weeks as they said he felt big. Predicted 8 lb at that stage. He was 12 days late and was over 11 lbs. Sorry

If it is any consolation big babies sleep well!

coppertop Fri 28-Jan-05 19:02:02

Growth scans aren't always that accurate tbh. Ds1 was 9 days late and weighed 9lb 8oz. I had growth scans for ds2 to make sure he didn't get too big. I was induced at 38 weeks when I was told that he was about 7.5-8lbs. He was actually 9lbs. This can also work the other way with the baby's weight being overestimated.

Corky Fri 28-Jan-05 19:03:46

Do you think they might induce me then if he's getting too big - might be the best thing !

coppertop Fri 28-Jan-05 19:17:47

Your midwife will be able to give you better advice about induction but it's possible. Ds1's shoulders got stuck after a very long labour and so the consultant wanted to avoid any complications with ds2. It turned out to be the right decision for us as ds2 was a very chubby 9lbs whereas ds1 had been long and slim. Ds2 still got stuck but it was a lot more straightforward than ds1's birth.

samwifewithkid Sat 29-Jan-05 22:53:21

I'm a bit worried about this too, our diets are so good these days I'm worried I'm feeding my dd2 (31w) up too much and I can't stop eating either!! My dd1 weighed 8lb 12oz at 12 days overdue and induced. And already people are telling me I'm bigger than last time (thanks, like I need to know that, or be told) I know a lot of 2nd babies are bigger due to extra room and stretching having gone on. Has anyone got any reassurance?

misdee Sat 29-Jan-05 22:59:16

well dd2 was 9lb, and i am being monitored this pregnancy as they are worried that bubs may be big (i have gestantional diabetes) and may be induced at 37/38 weeks. i have a growth scan on weds and appt with consultant as well. dd1 was only 6lb 15oz.

frogs Sat 29-Jan-05 23:01:42

Ds was my 2nd labour, and the easiest of all! I went from 7cm to giving birth in 10 mins, and all without any pain relief -- ds was 10lb. I'd had a very neat bump, and no-one predicted an outsize baby.

By far my hardest labour was with my first preg. which resulted in the smallest baby (8lb 9oz).

So don't worry. Prediction of baby's size is very unreliable anyway-- with my 3rd preg. they predicted a below-average sized baby, and dd2 was 9lb 5oz. Again the birth was entirely straightforward, without any tearing.

samwifewithkid Sat 29-Jan-05 23:03:32

Thanks Frogs

MancMum Sat 29-Jan-05 23:10:23

i had a scan with my first at 39 wekks - estimated weight 12lb - I almost passed out but they gave me a c-section as I had always wanted and DS weighed in at just 9lb 12 oz - was told scans are 10-15% inaccurate either way...

DD was estimated to be 7lb - was 8.5!! So my experience is not to worry too much!

Corky Sun 30-Jan-05 21:27:19

Thanks all for your comments, I guess 4 weeks just feels like such a long way away that I'm just fed up with it all and being so big! I had a 12 hour labour with dd1 with gas and air and stitches afterwards but just from tearing - so here's hoping that down below will naturally stretch a bit anyway from being stretched before and this whopper of a boy will pop out easily 10lb or less!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now