Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

15 weeks pg with very bad pain from right hip down right leg. What could cause it?

(18 Posts)
MommyD Thu 27-Jan-05 20:52:44

I am 15 weeks pg and struggling - I have a very uncomfortble pain that seems to start in my right hip/buttock and radiates all the way down my right leg. It is impossible to sit or lie comfortably.

I had "clunky" hip problems with my last two pregnancies - i.e. hips clicked/clunked when turning over in bed at night. But this didn't start until a lot later. HELP.

It almost feels as if I have a trapped nerve, or that my leg needs to 'click' back into place to make me comfortable. The outside of my right leg feels tender all the way down to the middle of my calf.

What on earth is it? How can I treat it? I have a 1 and a 2 year old and I am hobbling around after them. It is becoming unmanageable.

lockets Thu 27-Jan-05 20:54:01

Message withdrawn

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 20:54:14

Sounds abit like sciatica. Is the pain sharp like a knife? Better for pressure?

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 20:55:32

I foound 'ice gel' worked really well especially if you can get someone to massage it in for you!

MommyD Thu 27-Jan-05 20:55:36

No the pain is a dull and constant ache down the length of my leg, focused in my right buttock...

lockets Thu 27-Jan-05 20:55:36

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 20:56:50

This happened to me and was not sciatica but the ligaments loosening up with the pregnancy hormones. I went to a physio at the hospital and she showed me how to 'click' my hip back in using someone else standing in front of me as a lever. I had to do it several times a day but it provided some relief.

Good luck.

lockets Thu 27-Jan-05 20:58:12

Message withdrawn

irishbird Thu 27-Jan-05 20:59:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MommyD Thu 27-Jan-05 21:01:17

morningpaper - do you think you can tell me how to do it? I was just lying on the bed and thrashing my legs about in the vain hope I would get some relief from a 'click' (yes, picture it! ). My leg indeed 'clicked' and the pain vanished for a while. What did I do?

It does sound like sciatica as well though - thanks for the links lockets

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 21:01:21

Why not speak to your GP and get referred to your physio? I was seen in 24 hours. I really felt like my hips were clicking out of place (which they apparently were) and being shown how to click them back in worked a treat.

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 21:01:48

Have you got a handy person there to assist?

MommyD Thu 27-Jan-05 21:01:59

irishbird

MommyD Thu 27-Jan-05 21:04:01

morningpaper - yes - dh - although he's very interested in watching Farenheit 911!! I'm sure he'll agree to throw me around the room though!

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 21:05:39

UM well it went something like this:
Sit on a chair with your back straight and legs slightly apart, bent at the knee... then get someone to press on the side of your affected leg with their knee/leg, pushing it outwards, while you apply pressure by pushing your leg towards them.

<confused look>

That would give a large pain and then the pain would subside.

I'm not v. good at describing it though.... Your friendly physio might help more!

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 21:06:24

Oooh is that on?

Ah damnit DH won't give up ER...

MommyD Thu 27-Jan-05 21:12:48

morningpaper - thanks. We have just tried it after a brief argument about whether you meant him applying pressure on the outside or the inside of my leg.
He won - and said it was obvious from your post and so applied pressure on the inside of my leg outwards.
No real pain, but I definitely have some relief. I can now put pressure on my leg when I walk.
I am also going to book myself a physio session
Thanks! F911 looks good! Ditch ER!

morningpaper Fri 28-Jan-05 08:14:39

Ah that's it, the inside, so it's sort of counterpressure.

I saw several NHS physios during my pregnancy and they were all MARVELLOUS so good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now