Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anyone had problems getting certificate to fly from doctor?

(10 Posts)
JiminyCricket Thu 27-Jan-05 18:21:40

Easyjet need one after 27 weeks - we'd quite like to go away when I'm 32 weeks (only to fly to Geneva)...I guess i could check with my surgery if they are willing in principle to give them, but wondered what other people's experience was. Also would be a bummer if had to cancel holiday later on. Those extra few weeks would give us a chance of some sun though, and after a couple of rainy years in cornwall I NEED it! Also my first pregnancy I went to 42 weeks so kind of expecting to be late with this one...

Tipex Thu 27-Jan-05 20:11:45

shouldnt be a problem at all, you just need a short note confirming the pregnancy is the gestation you say it is and theres no problems. Your GP would be more than happy I'm sure, give the practice manager a ring. I think the cut off is 36 weeks to fly (purely in case you go into labour on the plane!!)
Enjoy your holiday!

Tinker Thu 27-Jan-05 20:21:04

I just asked my midwife today as will be flying at 27 weeks + - no problem

LIZS Thu 27-Jan-05 20:37:48

Just make sure that you have additional insurance to an E111 as I don't think you'd get as much coverage in Switzerland as in EU countries and medical costs can be huge.

JiminyCricket Thu 27-Jan-05 21:04:54

Thanks, that's encouraging, I was just starting to get depressed about not being able to book a holiday this week!

Aero Thu 27-Jan-05 21:32:30

I ad no problem getting one, but my GP makes a charge for this sort of thing - cost me £10!

LadyK Fri 28-Jan-05 11:26:10

As long as you haven't had any problems so far, and since you didn't have any problems the first time, getting the letter should be easy. I got one when I flew over to the US at 27+ weeks, but never actually had any need for it. My surgery also charged £10 for what was little more than a form letter! But it did give me peace of mind to know that I had it if anyone asked for it.

Flum Tue 22-Jul-08 11:00:59

Thread resurrection

ould high blood pressure be a reason you might not get this.

star6 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:03:44

I had bleeding for first 16 weeks at times after running and sex, very low blood pressure (VERY low), lots of dizziness all the way through, but used to it now. Dr/MW will NOT give me a note to fly (I'm 28 weeks now).

personalhealth Tue 22-Jul-08 11:08:06

You prob wouldn't be insured if anything happened as a consequence of the BP while abroad. You'd almost certainly have to declare it to your insurers - and check whether you'd be covered at 27 weeks anyway, my policy only went to 24 weeks for anything preg/baby related, although other insurers do give cover further into pregnancy.

It's not just emergency care, either: if you had the baby abroad and s/he or you were unwell, you would have to meet the cost of treatment plus being brought home, possibly with medical support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now