Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

i bought some muslim clothes on a whim.

(21 Posts)
misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 09:16:27

3rd baby, never used them with dd's, what do i need them for??

Carla Wed 26-Jan-05 09:20:01

Elaborate, misdee? Are they for you? Are they to give 3rd baby hippy chic?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 26-Jan-05 09:21:12

Do you mean musliN?! I think you do, don't you? If you mean you bought muslins then they're for putting over your shoulder so you don't get covered in puke/snot/whatever delights.

Pidge Wed 26-Jan-05 09:22:44

Not sure about "muslim" cloths!! But we went through several tonnes of muslins with dd, who was the most spectacularly vomity baby. I took her to a mums and babies group and after she threw up buckets one mum said to me - "goodness I thought my baby was sicky until I saw yours"!

So I never ventured more than 10 paces without at least 3 muslin squares.

You can put them in the cot / moses basket to save on sheets if you get a vomity child.

Also great when they start eating, tie them round their neck instead of a bib - far more coverage, plus they look entertaininly like a little gourmet.

Titania Wed 26-Jan-05 09:23:04

dont know how i managed without them for my first 2!!! they were so useful! bibs, burping cloths, emergency changing mats! They were a godsend.

beansontoast Wed 26-Jan-05 09:23:06

lol i thought that due to pregnancy you were taking the opportunity to experiment with your wardrobe.

and i was quite interested!

Carla Wed 26-Jan-05 09:23:14

Oh, God, misdee, I read that as muslin. Did you in fact mean Muslim?

mcmudda Wed 26-Jan-05 09:26:02

I'm confused too - do you mean cotton squares or floaty maternity clothes??

If it's the squares - their fab and still in use with ds at 2.5 as bibs and mega snot rags. If it's the other then I'm stumped...

misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 09:26:43

yeah sorry, dd2 was pulling on my arm for a juice. oops!!!

i meant muslin cloths.

i love some different clothes tho!!

when i lived in p'boro there were loads of different cultures there and the clothes were fantastic.

misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 09:28:27

dh is wetting himself in laughter now.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 09:32:48

PMSL!! I thought "well, maybe they're roomy and good at disguising a huge bump..."

Muslin cloths are fantastic though. You can make bibs out of the, emergency sun hats (complete with legionnaire flap), put them over the sheet in a moses basket so you simply move the cloth around if it get sicked on rather than cfaff around and change the sheet, over your shoulder to prevent sick/drool on your shoulder, you can make a comforter out of them (I made a great rabbit with one simply knot in a muslin!).... fantastic things.

misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 09:35:22

wel lthats what i'm thinking now as well, especially as my jeans are uncomfortable today.

ZoeC Wed 26-Jan-05 12:00:55

Newborn nappies if you're using cloth. Less bulky and much cheaper.

I used them tucked over the moses basket sheets with dd as she was quite sicky and one night I ran out of sheets - I had loads of muslins and could then just change that, not the sheet. I was never more than 6 feet away from a muslin cloth for ages!

Now dh has pinched one to strain oil with!

eidsvold Wed 26-Jan-05 21:11:09

used mine as covers over the sheets to protect moses basket from possets, burping cloths, nappies. Not sure how big yours are - but I bought muslin wraps to swaddle dd in when she first came home from hospital asit was so hot here.

misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 21:14:30

they are quite large (ones from mothercare). dd2 wanted to see what one was today so she carried it about with her most of the afternoon.

oooggs Wed 26-Jan-05 21:14:34

DS takes it to bed as a comforter and uses it as a teether or when upset. When a baby they were great as bibs and sick cloths.

franch Wed 26-Jan-05 21:22:18

I thought the same as SoupDragon - thought this was going to turn into another contentious PC thread!!!

pixiefish Wed 26-Jan-05 21:27:29

I thought you meant the clothes as well.

Muslin squares on the other hand- fantastic- had 3 or 4 on the go all the time. Very handy to wipe up any spills/ sick/dripping milk in bed.
If you leak from one boob (at night so maybe no bra????) while feeding then stick a muslin under the boob and it catches the milk. I always had 3 in bed with me to mop up sick etc. You can also put one as a 'draw' sheet under baby's head in the cot to save changing the sheet if he's ill. Also to put in the hv's scales to keep baby warm, also put on changing mat to keep baby warm... the uses go on and on and on... oh and now I use some as washing up cloths

MUD Wed 26-Jan-05 21:47:41

PMSL

champs Thu 27-Jan-05 15:50:44

thought i'd add to wash them before use. I got some for ds2 as was recommende. culdnt believe how hard they were, was so disapointed, used one anyway and washed it, onloaded washing and found a wonderful bit of cloth, wondered where it came from took a while for dh and I to put 2 and 2 together!!! Love them will be getting some more this time around.

motherinferior Thu 27-Jan-05 15:54:08

Use them to wash your own face with Eve Lom type cleanser (or the Boots cheapo version) rather than spending a fortune on posh 'washcloth' which is in fact a muslin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now