Talk

Advanced search

carpel tunnel syndrome

(8 Posts)
munchkinsusie Tue 25-Jan-05 10:21:09

anyone know much about this? i'm suspicious i've got it (sore hand wrist and elbow - worst at night - pain waking me up the last couple of nights). can anyone confirm what it's like and then give me ways to releive it?

PlainFlum Tue 25-Jan-05 10:31:53

I had it when pregnant. Drove me bonkers. Arms and hands numb all night. Then pins and needles for most of day.

Kept dropping everything, v. annoying.

Had it for about 2 months. Think it was caused by water retention as it went as soon as baby born.

AT hospital they give you wrist straps - TOTAL WASTE OF TIME and NHS resources. Don't bother with them I say.

Now moving on from that - an older friend of my dads had it, and ended up having a small operation which fixed it.

PlainFlum Tue 25-Jan-05 10:33:09

To relieve it - mmmmmm not sure I found a way actually.

Putting hands up above head relieved it temporarily so I could hold a cup of tea etc. But to be honest it was quite debilitating.

geogteach Tue 25-Jan-05 19:29:36

Had this twice, you can have a steriod injection which works well but have to wait until after baby is born

MrsBigD Tue 25-Jan-05 19:39:29

munchkinsusie... am afraid there's not much you can do as you're pregnant. I always found having a 'anti water retention day' by just eating plain rice (boring as hell I know) for a day did help a bit as it got rid of excess fluid in the body and so alleviating the pressure causing the CTS.

Otherwise... as you can't used pain killing creams, try wrapping your wrists in warm cabbage (doesn't just work for sore boobies

bubble99 Tue 25-Jan-05 19:39:42

Loads of sympathy to you munchkinsusie - I am suffering from this at the moment too. It's horrible, pins and needles in both hands for the last couple of months, and 'electric shock' type feelings if I push around the pulse points on both wrists. Not much you can do, some people have recommended contrast bowls ie. putting your hands into iced water followed by hot water. A lot of faff for some temporary relief IMO but if it's really troubling you- give it a go.

fruitful Tue 25-Jan-05 22:11:26

Had this last time and lived with it but this time it started loads earlier (about 5 months) so I got wrist splints from the local physiso department - I found they really worked. You just wear them at night. Took a few nights to see any improvement.

The other thing is to drink lots of water (helps reduce water retention for some bizarre reason).

And I find that after nights where I've slept on my back a lot, my hands are worse the next day. Don't know what causes that, or indeed how to stop sleeping on my back (that's getting better as I get bigger - obviously even my subconscious has worked out its not comfortable!).

rosies Thu 27-Jan-05 09:13:19

this link has some info. massage can help quite alot actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now