Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

CONSTANT nausea and vomiting: how to get adequate nutrition?

(34 Posts)
franch Sun 23-Jan-05 18:33:03

This happened to me last time round too (I'm in week 8 of my 2nd pregnancy) but this time I seem to be even less able to eat - even drinking water is an effort. Today so far I've eaten a small bowl of cornflakes and have vomited 5 times - the rest of the time I've felt so sick even the thought of food makes me retch.

I'm trying to have a cup of Complan every day and some Dioralyte, but am now finding them hard to stomach too.

Worried that the little one might not be getting adequate nutrition from me - particularly calcium - I have a family history of osteoporosis and have read that if you don't take in enough calcium when pg, it's leached from your bones to provide for the baby.

Any ideas welcome. (Please don't post MS 'remedies' as I've honestly tried them all!)

Lonelymum Sun 23-Jan-05 18:36:05

I have no experience here, but you sound so bad I would have thought a visit to the doctor would be in order. But maybe I am being a wuss. I just know that if I had M/S like you describe I would be worried as you are about lack of nutrition for both me and the baby and would see my GP straightaway. You can be hospitalised for this so there must be people who go to their GPs about M/S otherwise how would they be referred to hospital? Sorry, rambling here. I am sure your GP can help.

HunkerMunker Sun 23-Jan-05 18:43:14

It sounds very like you may have hyperemesis gravidarum. This can be treated with drugs which are safe to take in pregnancy. If I was you, I'd go to my GP and ask them for help. I know someone who was hospitalised because of this - it's very rare, but it does happen and people don't get the help they need because they think they are being wussy. You're not, you need help. I'm not trying to scare you hun, but do get it checked out.

There is a site you can go to for more info (www.hyperemesis.org.uk) but I can't get it to load at the moment. There's other stuff if you google hyperemesis though. HTH a bit - and don't worry - just make sure you do go to the doctor.

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 18:45:12

Thanks LM. Am definitely considering this (although she was no help last time!). It's DD's 1st birthday party tomorrow so I need to just get through that (how, I don't know - didn't get out of bed till 6pm today!) and will make an appt on Tue if things are still this bad.

Surfermum Sun 23-Jan-05 18:45:18

I have total sympathy as I was like that too until I was well into the second trimester. I had sick bowls all over the place, including by the bed as I would even wake up in the middle of the night and throw up on the duvet. I ended up eating iced doughnuts mostly as at least they they tasted nice on the way up as well as on the way down! I could guarantee that anything I ate/drank would be back up about 20 minutes later. As I had had 2 mcs though, I sort of embraced it, because as long as I was feeling/being sick it meant I was still pregnant.

Nothing, but nothing worked for me. Even the medication my GP put me on. So no suggestions from me I'm afraid - just lots and lots of sympathy.

I agree with Lonelymum - if you are concerned, go and see your GP to get checked out.

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 18:48:24

Thanks HM. Yes, I was trying to get that site to load too - I can't remember exactly what the definition of HG is - last time I think my symptoms just fell short of qualifying as HG, if I remember right.

paolosgirl Sun 23-Jan-05 18:50:12

I threw up well into both pregnancies, but it was particularly bad with dd. Eventually I went to the GP, expecting to be given sympathy and not much else, but I was admitted to hopsital the same day, put on a drip for 3 days, and felt SO much better. I was actually able to eat something and keep it down. Apparently, it's a vicious circle - the less you eat, the more your body reacts when it does get something. It might be worthwhile going to your GP?

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 18:50:41

Thanks Surfermum. (Sorry all my posts seem to be crossing with new ones!) I know no one who's had it this bad so it's good to hear from someone who has. Just found this: "Typical signs of this condition [HG] include vomiting more than 3 or 4 times a day, not keeping any food down, losing weight, feeling tired and dizzy, and urinating less than usual" - so I think I will see the GP sooner rather than later.

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 18:52:42

Thank you paolosgirl. At the moment it does feel like going into hospital would be a relief - and I hate hospital! May even try to get to the doctors tomorrow as it's just round the corner and I might not have to miss much of DD's party.

Poor DD doesn't know what on earth's going on

paolosgirl Sun 23-Jan-05 18:55:46

I really do sympathise with you - it was the one thing that really put me off going for another - although on a sadder note, I m'c my third (unplanned), and the lack of sickness was the thing that convinced me something was not right

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 18:59:49

Oh paolosgirl I'm so sorry to hear that. I know from the antenatal boards that I must count my blessings and that ultimately this sickness is a good sign. Last time it wore off by 12 weeks so I can be reasonably confident that it will end - but another month seems like forever right now!

paolosgirl Sun 23-Jan-05 19:15:22

It is a good sign, but I know it's no consolation when you spend your days and weeks either being sick or feeling nauseous. I hope the GP is able to help you in some way - hugs to you.

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 19:18:22

Hugs gratefully received, paolosgirl Just vomited for the 7th time but am going to see if I can face a slice of cake .....

paolosgirl Sun 23-Jan-05 19:19:36

A slice of cake is always a good thing to face - and if you do throw it up, then you can have another

franch Sun 23-Jan-05 19:21:56

pooka Sun 23-Jan-05 20:53:25

Oh Franch, Im just nosing around on the threads and have no advice whatsoever, but I really feel for you. I feel like death from 4pm to 8pm, but am fine the rest of the time, but that's bad enough (I am a complete wuss), and I can't imagine how you're feeling.
Hope the trip to your GP is helpful. It sounds horrid.

franch Mon 24-Jan-05 11:35:30

Thanks pooka. Spoke to DH (who's a medic himself) last night and he wants us to hold off seeing the GP for a bit as he doesnt want me ending up in hosp with a hosp-acquired infection! He has a point - our experience of hosp hasn't been good to date, and he knows more than most as he works in several! So he's feeding me up with Complan and keeping an eye on me, and we're hoping for the best.

Must go, I have to barf!

irishbird Mon 24-Jan-05 11:42:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

franch Mon 24-Jan-05 11:45:59

Thanks very much irishbird. Am almost desperate enough to take drugs but still haunted by thalidomide etc. Will have a look at the site.

blossom2 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:07:07

Oh Franch - i really feel for you and know what you're going through. Had terrible m/s for 6 weeks with the first and had it for 9 weeks with the second. Thankfully i'm 14wks now and its mostly gone. I had days of being completely fed up of it all. I like you didn't take anything.

my midwife said that the baby gets its nutrition first before you, so don't worry, Baby will be fine. I found that sweet flavours made me more nauseas and just sipping water than drinking it was better. And getting lots and lots of rest.

Hang on in there - it will be get better

franch Mon 24-Jan-05 12:30:02

Thanks blossom2 - though at the 9 weeks second time round - did it start earlier, end later, or both? I'm counting on it being just 6 weeks again!!!

blossom2 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:57:02

1st pregnancy, i didn't find out until 7 weeks and m/s started at 8 weeks, ended suddenly at 14 weeks (woke up one day and it was gone!!)

2nd pregnancy - found out at 4 weeks, m/s started at 4wks and 2 days and it was a gradual easing off from 10 weeks. today at 14 weeks, have lots of energy and done loads of housework (at least DH will be smiling tonight).

Also BLT sandwiches (brought from the shop) helped - i couldn't smell the food, so could eat it and it had bread, meat & veg so felt that at least i was getting something in me. That was all i had for about 7 days, and then switched to corn beef sandwiches for another 2 weeks. DH is convinced its a boy!!!

Also did the not drinking whilst eating, only 10 mins before and 10 mins after - DD thought i was a bit strange.

HTH in some way ...

sassy Mon 24-Jan-05 13:22:22

I had hyperemesis with both pregnancies (I won't be having a third ) and the only thing that worked was a spell in hospital followed by phenergan taken twice daily until I gave birth. The drugs meant that i wasn't actually sick although still felt nauseous throughout. Drugs on their own wasn't enough - was the drip that sorted me out enough to be able to keep them down.
As far as baby's health goes, don't worry. A midwife said to me 'starving women in Africa give birth to perfectly healthy 7lb babies - the baby takes whatever it needs from you!' Your health will eventually suffer. if you can face it, a pregnancy supplement will help keep your levels up - I couldn't take these until about wk14 though, cos they are huge, and even the tiny phenergan pills made me gag!
You have my sympathy; it is utterly grim, isn't it. Don't be feeling you are a wuss though, this condition can be fatal if untreated (Charlotte Bronte died of it), and even if not that severe, it is completelt foul.
Hope you start to feel better soon.

franch Mon 24-Jan-05 19:04:01

Thanks for the reassurance sassy. Your experience sounds awful. Didn't know about Charlotte Bronte!!!

candycane Mon 24-Jan-05 19:07:07

Wanted to echo sassy - think you should get the doctor to refer you to hospital. I had this in both of my pregnancies and needed a drip both times - it stopped almost completely when I reached 4 months but until then i could not even keep water down and lost a stone and a half each time. Please get yourself to the hospital - if nothing else, it will force you to have a rest. take care xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now