Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

doula recommendations???

(14 Posts)
motherpeculiar Sun 23-Jan-05 15:47:18

can anyone recommend a good doula? I'm in SE London, so south london or possibly kent area would do

thanks

beachyhead Mon 24-Jan-05 13:10:56

bumping this up as I am interested too...I am in Greenwich and due in August? where are you, mp?

motherpeculiar Mon 24-Jan-05 13:37:09

Hi Beachyhead - I'm in Herne Hill - so not too far from you - is it your first baby?

I've had a few responses on my other thread so you should check that out also here's the link

beachyhead Mon 24-Jan-05 14:48:59

I checked it out and actually, I'm not sure it is what I need. This is my third and I will be having a C-section (as I have had two before and want a steralisation at the same time!)and so I really need help afterwards with feeding, and the other two. Maybe a maternity nurse might be better for me, as the actual birth thing will be pretty un interesting...

motherpeculiar Mon 24-Jan-05 15:40:56

ah, it may be that what you need is a postnatal doula then Beachyhead - some Doulas don't do births but come around afterwards to help with house, other kids etc. Check out this link where they describe the difference and have some contact names

pupuce Mon 24-Jan-05 19:49:42

Hi !
Well no secret -I am a doula..... Greenwich is too far for me as a postnatal doula (birth is a different matter) but if you want to get in touch I might be able to help you find a doula or tell you more about what we do postnatally.

motherpeculiar Tue 25-Jan-05 09:48:42

Hi Pupuce

the link didn't seem to work. I am currently thinking about using a birth doula. I'm in Herne Hill, SE24. I don't know where you practice - is that outside your range?

Please CAT me if it's within range and we can discuss further. Otherwise any recommendations you have would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, MP

pupuce Tue 25-Jan-05 10:09:17

It would help if I typed my websiote address correctly
www.nurturingbirth.co.uk

Seems to me you woud be too far for me - which hospital were you planning to go to? When are you due?
I helped Dinny find her doula and she could certainly give you good advice on who she interviewed and picked.

motherpeculiar Tue 25-Jan-05 10:22:22

Hi

hoping to have homebirth - backup hospital is King's in Camberwell. Due March 31st.

I have CAT'd Dinny so if I'm too far for you hopefully she'll have some good tips. Will check out your website anyway.

Thanks again

Blu Tue 25-Jan-05 10:36:50

Hi Motherpeculiar - I live v near you!
Are you a member of the Southwark and Lambeth NCT? Their newsletter has adverts by doulas, I think, or you could certainly contact them and ask if they have recommendations. Also the noticeborad in Cheeky Monkeys toyshop at E Dulwich (corner of Croxted and New Park Hall (?) Rd Rd)has a notioceboard which often has ads by independent MWs and suchlike - look, or put an ad there? Or ask South London Independent Midwives for an recommendation (I think that is the company run by the wonderful Theresa Arias).

Good luck.

Blu Tue 25-Jan-05 10:38:05

And are you having a pool? We got ours from Splashdown agents in Mackie Rd just off Tulse Hill.

Blu Tue 25-Jan-05 10:40:06

Sorry - Cheeky Monkeys W (not E) Dulwich

motherpeculiar Tue 25-Jan-05 10:58:16

Hi Blu

thanks for the tips - had been wondering where that Cheeky Monkeys was - I used to live in Islington and loved the branch there, then when I moved down south kept seeing people with those bright yellow bags and had no idea where it was. Serendipitous eh!

Will check out the ads. I'm not a member of the NCT but that's a good tip which I'll chase up.

Am hoping to have a pool, but planning to hire from my midwife practice (fingers crossed no-one else has it at the time!) in order to save a few bob.

Whereabouts are you?

Blu Tue 25-Jan-05 11:04:32

Hi MP - There's a Cheeky Monkeys in Abbeville Rd Clapham, too - but parking is easier at W Dulwich. Other good toyshops are in Dulwich Village behind the Art Shop, and a couple in that v trendy street near Clapham Junction - Northcott Rd? and just round the corner form there.

I used to live in Herne Hill, have now moved across the Park, more Brixton.

V active NCT in the area - good tea groups - I made some great friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now