Talk

Advanced search

is it ALWAYS terrible if the baby is OP?

(34 Posts)
Tipex Thu 20-Jan-05 20:13:50

I have read so much about what a nightmare labour can be if the baby is OP that I have scared myself silly that mine will be OP when the time comes. I cant help thinking that the anxiety would be enough to cause me problems even if the OP birth itself wasnt going to (IYSWIM!!)
Does anyone have any positive experiences of an OP birth or is it really all doom and gloom? Thanks.

pupuce Thu 20-Jan-05 20:15:17

Is it your first?

Chandra Thu 20-Jan-05 20:15:32

Please remind my severely damaged post-pregnancy memory.... what's OP?

pupuce Thu 20-Jan-05 20:15:52

back to back labour

Catbert Thu 20-Jan-05 20:25:49

Get down on all fours and scrub your kitchen floor girl! It's not such an old wive tail... Don't lie back on the sofa, sleep on your left, sit forward on chairs (turn them around to make it easier) Can help the baby move around into a more preferable AP position...

Otherwise... I am no expert.
All I know is I have one friend who had spine to spine and she managed a vaginal delivery without too much trouble, some intervention (ventouse I think), but she did tell me the back pain she got with each contraction was bad. I believe the epidural put an end to that anyway.

gish Thu 20-Jan-05 20:28:35

My postive OP baby story:

Ds OP for very long time towards end of my pg, despite my efforts to tun him (sitting upright with nice straight back as oppose to slouching into sofa, crawling around and other things as suggested by yoga teacher)

Went into labour in early hours of morning but slept til 7ish, then woke and called m/w. She arrived about 9ish and on palpation confirmed ds was still OP. She told me to expect to be labouring all day and into the night, but got me to swivel my hips as I gripped my mantle piece.

Ds must have turned as I did this, did not feel it but labour progressed v quickly from then on and he arrived about 2 hrs later.

Entire labour was roughly around 9/10hrs if you count the time I was asleep.

hth

best of luck xxx

Tipex Thu 20-Jan-05 20:31:29

Oh dear, no fabulous "I had an OP and it was a breeze" stories yet then!
Yes Pupuce its my first and although currently lying OP (I think) I'm only 35 weeks. I am doing all the fetal positioning I can think of and have done all along. Its not so much the need to change it I'm worried about, more that by feeling so negative about something that at the onset of labour will be out of my control, it will cause negative feelings for me and that in its own will will cause more pain and possibly inhibit labour. I am just unable to read anything even remotely positive about OP deliveries in the literature.

pupuce Thu 20-Jan-05 20:31:38

DS was OP and it was a very long labour (24h) - totally drug free, not even G&A (hate it).... "only" had an episiotomy...

2nd babies who are OP are not nearly as long and complicated as 1st babies.

Tipex Thu 20-Jan-05 20:31:57

Hurrah Gish, our posts crossed but you have come to the rescue!!

pupuce Thu 20-Jan-05 20:33:36

Well Gish has a good story.
One of my clients (I am a doula) had an OP baby he turned in labour and he was born in 5 hours (from start to finish)... first baby too! Very easy, no drugs, pushed 6 times !

gish Thu 20-Jan-05 20:36:12

Yes my ds was first babe, no pain relief and no pushing! Wish my last birth as a doula on Sun had been like your last pupuce

Chandra Thu 20-Jan-05 20:53:38

Well, as you can see is not so traumatic as I have forgot what the name for that was and DS was back to back . Long labour though. But I don't think it was terribly painful, actually if they had not to induce it at the end, I would have happily continued without an epidural.

But don't worry for this things, if he is OP he still have plenty of time to turn.

edam Thu 20-Jan-05 21:02:50

Think it's one of those things where people have very different experiences. One of my friends had OP labour with her second baby - was astonished to discover afterwards that it is supposed to be more painful. She honestly says she didn't notice any more pain than the first time. But I know other people do find it very difficult.
It's worth doing all the optimal fetal positioning stuff Catbert mentions - sitting cowboy-style on a kitchen chair, etc. etc. but try not to let horror stories get to you.

MistressMary Thu 20-Jan-05 21:08:35

Follow Catberts advice, I have experience of OP labour myself.

Angeliz Thu 20-Jan-05 21:10:37

I'm worried about the way the baby is lying too Tipex. (Seems any way but head down behaving!!!).
I am on a mission to clean all the floorboards in the house and get it right

Clayhead Thu 20-Jan-05 21:30:29

dd (first child) was OP and it was a breeze... Well, as much as labour ever can be. I had a shot of pethidine and gas and air, an episiotomy which healed very quickly. No other intervention. I to had a little sleep during labour (it was the pethidine, honest)

I had none of the usual back pain etc. (only read about it when I got home infact and realised what a lucky escape I had had).

Apart from dh not cutting the cord since she was whipped away to have her mouth suctioned, it was no different to when I had ds, who wasn't OP.

Am I weird?!

HTH

KathH Fri 21-Jan-05 11:28:49

hi - ive already bored people with this story but 3rd child was back to back and i was only in labour for couple of hrs - just got through hospital door in time and still had my trousers round my ankles - still slightly better than with 4th who had i had on the bathroom floor!

dejags Fri 21-Jan-05 11:38:17

very quickly as I am in a rush - DS2 was OP, born in less than four hours with no pain relief, far less painful than DS1 who was normal presentation and born after a 12 hour labour with 2 failed epidurals.

Active labour is really recommended - I was walking up and down stairs and bouncing on my birth ball (FABULOUS THING!!!) until I had the urge to push... keeping upright and moving helps things along naturally...

Sallie Fri 21-Jan-05 11:46:11

My second baby was OP and my labour was only 3 hours. Lucky that she was OP otherwise the midwives told me I would have had her at home or in the car en route to hospital. Can't remember it being more painful and didn't have time for anything other than gas and air. Also didn't have any stitches and the pushing stage only lasted about 15mins. Best of luck and don't worry - just relax and all will work out for the best....I am just glad I didn't know dd was OP beforehand.

BigFatHeiferEnid Fri 21-Jan-05 12:10:06

depends what kind of OP, I had a transverse OP (ear presenting) and managed to give birth vaginally with lots of intervention and it was AWFUL, would NOT recommend, I think most would get a C/s at that stage.

I think straightforward OP is indeed possible and fine

serenity Fri 21-Jan-05 12:26:53

Very quick as well as I'm not meant to be on here

All three were OP, used entenox only with all three, no intervention during labour although had to have waters broken with DS1 and DS2 was an induction with drip.

Labours were pretty quick, 12, 4 and 6 hours respectively.

Some people do seem to find being OP lengthens labour and causes problems, but in my case I only really found it a problem prelabour (chronic back pain, unable to sit or stand for more than 5 minutes - I was up and down like a yoyo!)

Toothache Fri 21-Jan-05 12:54:48

My 1st was OP and my labour was 7hours long. I managed on Gas & Air and one dose of diamorphine. It was absolutley fine! Ds turned at the last minute after an hour and a half of pushing. No doom and gloom here.

2nd baby wasn't OP.... but labour was slow to start and all in my back.... they also had to break my waters. Over and done with quickly once my waters were broken (50mins), but going from 4 to 6cm took 7 hours!!

Zuberbuehler Fri 21-Jan-05 14:16:43

I have a good story! My son was OP, labour 8hrs start to finish, pain very bearable, just had gas and air. As others have said, active labour is great, well it worked for me but I have nothing to compare it to.
My obstetrician told me a few days before the birth that he was OP but that many babies turn during labour. I took his word for it and am glad I did. I felt my son turning just as second stage began.
Hope it goes well. I did nothing to help him turn in the days/weeks before the birth, but I would next time, so swivel those hips girl!

Sallie Fri 21-Jan-05 15:01:26

My dd didn't turn during labour so delivered her in the OP position. Was fine and no stitching required - she was a good size too - 8 lbs 7

foxinsocks Fri 21-Jan-05 15:17:52

Both mine were OP

dd - was quite painful on my back but then I had no pain relief - G&A made me sick and no time for epidural. Was a quick labour but took me 2 hours to push her out. No stitches, small tear but overall, compared to most - a fairly trouble free labour. Remember to keep moving around - that did wonders for my back and get dh/partner to practice back massages NOW!!

ds - was very quick. Around 2-3 hours from waters breaking to delivery. Again no pain relief and the pain in my back was hardly noticeable.

You've still got plenty of weeks for baby to turn anyway but get the back massages in now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now