Talk

Advanced search

ME in pregnancy

(6 Posts)
hayleylou Wed 19-Jan-05 15:52:01

I don't know if this is the right place to ask...... but is there anyone who is pregnant and has ME. My bestfrind has it and she and her partner are thinking about trying for a baby, and wondered it anyone has any advise for them?

hayleylou Fri 04-Feb-05 10:33:22

Anybody?

Lua Fri 04-Feb-05 10:37:10

Haleylou,
What is ME?

hayleylou Fri 04-Feb-05 10:43:00

It is called Myalgic Encephalopathy (yuppie Flu as they used to call it), it is where you are tired all of the time and spend most of your time in bed!!, muscle problems etc.

Miaou Fri 04-Feb-05 10:58:50

Hi hayleylou, I had ME when I was younger, although I am fully recovered now. Am pg atm too! I have a friend who has ME quite severely and was in a wheelchair for years and in great pain; she now has a dd who is just one. I'm not really in touch with her except for Christmas cards, so I don't really know how she coped, except that she had to come off all her meds while pregnant and just live through the pain - brave girl! They were married 10 years before they decided to go for it!

I would say the best thing for your friend to do is to get in touch with the ME Association. They may be able to give her advice and/or put her in touch with other mums/mums-to-be who can help out. I would say a lot of it depends on what, if any, medication she is taking, and whether she feels she could cope without it, both while ttc and pg.

HTH!

thebedmonster Mon 28-Mar-05 22:58:30

I have had very bad M.E for the past twelve years. I have experienced several extreme relapses over the years (being bed bound/house bound/reliant on a wheelchair). Finally last year after a "good spell" I became pregnant, (I am now 30 weeks). I can not say it has been easy and I have encountered problems which most likely are related to the M.E such as abnormal hormone levels, increased chronic fatigue and joint problems. My best friend, who also has M.E, has a one year girl and I know she experiences ups and downs with her own health due to the extra pressure having and caring for a baby puts on you, but she has coped and I hope I can be as good and caring a mother as she is.

Is your friend a member of Action for M.E? I found they were able to send me a fact sheet on pregnancy and they have also run a series of articals in the Interaction magazine concerning pregnancy and parenthood.

I think it is wise to discuss the matter with her G.P or consultant because if she is on any medication she will most likely have to stop them.

It is also wise to have a good support network in place both during the pregnancy and after the baby is born. I have a supporting husband and wonderful parents - things would be pretty tough without them!

In the end it is a personal decision, and on top of the normal worries of having a baby there are a lot of other issues to consider. M.E is a horrid illness and can effect every area of your life, but sometimes you have to take the plunge and not let it totally rule your life.

I do wish your friend well in making her choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now