Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Herpes and pregnancy

(8 Posts)
tooembarassed Sat 15-Jan-05 16:06:33

Shouldn't be embarassed by this, given did sexual health work in past, but nonetheless am.

Diagnosed a year ago with genital herpes, type 1. Very nasty first outbreak, as I understand is the norm. Not one further outbreak in last 12 months. However, am now pregnant. Am I right in beleiving that as long as I don't have an outbreak at time of delivery, it isn't a problem. Should I tell my midwife? Does anyone have any information about this. I would be really grateful.

jampots Sat 15-Jan-05 16:44:41

well tooembarrassed - my friend contracted genital herpes from oral sex years and years ago and has suffered occasional flare ups although none in the last 5-7 years. She was worried about it during her pregnancy and chose not to tell her midwife as it wasnt a question that was asked of her. In the end she needed a c/section for completely unrelated reasons and both her and her baby were absolutely fine

ThomCat Sat 15-Jan-05 17:03:55

Personally, if it were me, I would tell my midwife. I know 2 friends who have it, it's more common than you think. Don't be embarassed.
Congrats on the pregnancy

anniemac Sat 15-Jan-05 17:15:50

Message withdrawn

Bunglie Sat 15-Jan-05 17:23:25

I think AnnieMac's advice is 'spot on'.
I don't think you should be embarrased about it either, I had a friend with this problem and she was told it was only a problem if she had active areas whilst she was in labour, in which case they may consider a c-section. She had a normal vaginal delivery and now has a very healthy 3 year old.
I do think though that you should tell thehe midwife so that they are aware and please try not to be embarrased.
I wish you the best of deliveries and hope that all goes well.

tooembarassed Sun 16-Jan-05 08:40:34

Thank you! I know I shouldn't be embarassed, I am almost more ashamed of being embarassed than I am about having herpes . I shuold be grown up about it, and the more people who come out about it the less of an issue it would be I guess. I think its also that on here I can't fully control who in real life would find out IYSWIM.

Thanks for advice. I really want a homebirth and was suddenly worried it would be an issue. WIll talk to mw. Will be upset if it does effect it, but baby's health far more important.

My first outbreak was at a time of acute distress in my life, wasn't eating, drinking/smoking too much etc, very run down. SO hopefully if I keep healthy it will keep it at bay. As I said it not come back so far. At the time the doctor said I probably had had it for some time, laying dormant. Have been with dh for 12 years, and he has loads of cold sores, we thought we had been careful, but obviusly not. So I possibly already had it in my previous pg and didn't know.

Anyway, thank you for your sensitivity and kind words of reassurance. It helps to have just said it I think. Thank you for listening .

anniemac Sun 16-Jan-05 11:19:32

Message withdrawn

jampots Sun 16-Jan-05 11:23:05

I must add my friend's dp doesnt know she has it hence another reason she felt she didnt want to tell the mw. She also gets it when she's low or has been poorly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now