Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

induction over caereasean

(17 Posts)
misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:13:15

i am aware that this baby may well be delivered early if i dont get my gestional diabetes under control (have had some high readings the last week, and now have to test more often). I have been thinking about what i'll do if they do want to deliver early.
i dont fancy the idea of indeuction, as would rather have normal labour/birth without too much medical intervention, but i do like the idea of knowing roughly when bubs will be arriving.

Dont fancy caeserean at all. i cant aqfford to be laid up for 4 days in hospital, plus recovery period as dh is pretty ill still and we have two dd's already.

am i being mad for thinking about it? which would you go for?

Blossomhill Wed 12-Jan-05 21:15:23

Hi Misdee
Personally if I had a choice I would go for induction. Obvioulsy you have to go what is safest for you and your baby
Try not to worry too much as it will all work itself out xxx

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:17:49

Induction definately. The last thing you would need id to recover from a C/S with everything else. Should be a fairly easy process with a third baby. Although I go on about natural labour there are times induction is necessary. I was induced 3 times myself and it was all very straight forward.

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:18:01

does being induced increase chance of emergency section at all?

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:22:14

It can do but the more deliveries you have had before, the risk goes down. There is a risk of C/S if you are not ready to go into labour easily. First babies can end up with C/S because their cervixes are usually hard and closed and difficult to get going. The cervix is much softer and usually open a bit before labour starts so the process is usually easier.

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:24:25

Thanks mears.

Really really want to avoid section, is there anything i can do closer to the time, to help avoid this?

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:29:31

I never did a damn thing TBH. My third baby was induced at 35 + 4 weeks. Was supposed to get prostin gel but waters were broken instead. Drip to start contractions which were no worse than previous labours. Just had gas and air.
Try not to get too preoccupied with labour. If you need induced, you will be given prostin to 'ripen' your cervix and often that is enough to get you going. I was preterm so needed a drip. Next time I just had gel at 6am, waters broken at 9.30am, DD born 12.08pm.
Just concentrate on relaxing when you can in amongst all the other things you have on your plate.

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:33:24

does early induction cause harm to baby? i know i'm going on, but its soemnthing i need to be aware of. i really dont fancy delivering another 9lb+ baby lol.

i was put on the syntocin (??) drip with dd1 as waters broke but nothing happened, but that was at 40weeks. dd2 came fast with no medical help and just gas and air.

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:41:41

My early baby did need help with breathing for a week. Last baby was over 37 weeks and didn't need help at all.
Babies over 36 weeks tend to be OK after induction

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:41:57

How many weeks are you now?

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:42:39

Thank you. now i can go in armed with some information and a view on what i def want if consultant brings tis up next week.

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:43:00

33 weeks tomorrow.

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:47:20

If diabetis went out of control, they would start insulin injections before inducing if you are on oral control. I haven't seen gestational diabetic get delivered very early. More likely to admit you and adjust insulin to gain control.

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:49:11

not on insulin, atm they are trying to control thro diet, but i think with everything else it just wont work. see consultant next week to see whats what. phoned the diabetes team as was getting worried by the results i've had over the last week, and they said to call if they carry on rising. so far so good, they are back down, but how long for? argh!!

mears Wed 12-Jan-05 21:52:14

they would definately start insulin before delivering you I am sure. Better to get you closer to 37 weeks

misdee Wed 12-Jan-05 21:53:33

thats what i thought anyway. just need to get this sorted. bloomin baby causing me trouble already

at least i know its a very active one, i swear i'm bruised inside from the kicks!!

pupuce Wed 12-Jan-05 21:53:35

Misdee - I totally agree with Mears (what else is new )
I would go for induction over a section for a 3rd baby....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now