Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Group B Strep

(20 Posts)
bradley Fri 07-Jan-05 13:57:51

Hi, I'm 35 wks now & after a routine urine test have just found out I'm carrying Group B Strep. Just wondered if any1 had advice on this! Is sex okay, can u still breastfeed, when 2 go in to hospital?

julen Fri 07-Jan-05 14:01:34

Yep, sex is OK, as far as I know, breastfeeding too. I had strep B with dd and ds, just continued as normal, but had antibiotics once labour started, and stayed in hospital for what was it, 48 hours I think, as babies needed to be under observation. (Just in case they did get it when they were born - tiny tiny chance, but better to be sure.)

JJ Fri 07-Jan-05 14:01:51

There's a good website here with loads of info. Basically, everything is fine to do (sex, breastfeeding, etc) but you will need IV antibiotics during labour. Ideally for more than 4 hours, so go in when labour has started, but if your labour is not more than 4 hours, that's ok, too.

You've done the main thing already and know about it! Just make sure the midwives know you have it when you go in to have the baby.

Sorry for the quick post - there's tons of info on the link above.

bradley Fri 07-Jan-05 14:05:04

Thanks, will check out the info.

jud2905 Sun 27-Mar-05 15:15:39

hi

i had strep b with ds. had antiobiotics during labour. had to stay in hospital for 3 days as baby was treated with IV antiobiotics also although this does vary from hospital to hospital, apart from that everything else is as before!

tammybear Sun 27-Mar-05 15:23:08

I had group b strep, but didnt find out til after I had given birth so I wasnt on antibiotics. I was kept in for 2 nights with dd, they did want me to stay a 3rd night but I was desperate to go home. When they found out afterwards that I had it, they just told me signs to look out for that oculd affect her, but was lucky enough that nothing happened.

deb5 Sun 10-Apr-05 10:44:37

If anyone is still following this thread I would appreciate some info re strep B.
I returned from holiday yesterday to a letter informing me that I have strep B. I am 22 weeks pregnant with our second son and after suffering previously with 3 miscarraiges and an ectopic I am terrified something will happen to this baby.
Does anyone have any info they can offer me? I have looked at various websites but nothing can compare with experience.
I have not been offered antibiotics yet...should I ask?
Many thanks in advance.

lynny70 Sun 10-Apr-05 21:30:06

Message deleted

Demented Sun 10-Apr-05 22:03:46

I carry Strep B too, it was discovered in labour with my DS1. When I was pg with DS2 I worried myself sick about it, in fact it was researching Strep B that led me to Mumsnet. I had antibiotics in both my labours and two healthy boys to show for it. Second time round they let me out the same day even although they do prefer you to stay in if you have Strep B, like Tammybear I was given a run down of symptoms to look out for. My Community Midwife was very supportive of me coming home quickly (she knew I would have liked a home birth) and was happy to keep an eye out for anything also.

Please try not to worry, so many women carry this bacteria and know nothing of it, at least when you know measures can be taken to protect your baby.

All the best!

lynny70 Mon 11-Apr-05 08:03:32

Message deleted

Demented Mon 11-Apr-05 09:27:30

Sorry to hear about the complications last time. At the time when I was pg with DS2 (he's almost three so the advice may have changed) it was recommended that if you had ever tested positive for Strep B you were treated with antibiotics in labour because apparently once you have it you always have it, it just moves round different parts of the body.

lynny70 Mon 11-Apr-05 09:34:26

Message deleted

mears Mon 11-Apr-05 09:36:51

lynny70 - we treat all women who have had previous positive teast as carriers of Strep B and offer them antibiotics in labour. We do not reswab as there really isn't any point doing that.

lynny70 Mon 11-Apr-05 10:22:30

Message deleted

Demented Mon 11-Apr-05 13:43:29

Blimey Lynny! You had to do your own swab!

I did have a swab taken during my pregnancy with DS2, it was done by the midwife (high vaginal swab), it came back negative but antibiotics were given anyway.

mears Mon 11-Apr-05 13:53:43

Demented - the swab actually should be low vaginal (and rectal) which could be easily done by the woman, however lots of places to high vaginal which you need a speculum for. Definately not easily achieved by yourself

milward Mon 11-Apr-05 14:04:44

So this means that I'll have to have antibiotics this time as well as I had group step B in my last preg? DD also had to have antibiotics for a few days afterwards as well. The hospital left a canula (is this the word?) in the back of her hand into which the nurse injected antibiotics in the day (forget the schedule) Was so happy when this was removed and dd could finally move her hand without this thing being there.

lynny70 Mon 11-Apr-05 14:21:37

Message deleted

lynny70 Mon 11-Apr-05 14:24:59

Message deleted

Demented Tue 12-Apr-05 17:00:46

Mears, thanks for clarifying, was trying to imagine how on earth someone would be expected to do a HVS themselves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now