Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

no joy at antenatal came home in tears help

(16 Posts)
furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 17:13:18

hi, to see another consultant today as mine wasnt available. Waste of time. Asked to be induced a few days early but as advised by midwife but consultant didn't want to step on original consultants toes, really fed up as what was the point in telling me to go up when i rang. Also they looked at my records for last db birth and it didn't show i was 3 min from emergency c.section or that i had trouble birthing shoulders or that they took an oxygen blood test from db whilst still inside me. she made me think i was a fraud. db weighed 9lb 10oz and my consultant said he would not let me go over but because he hadn't written this down she didnt do anything. On the way home my dh said that db might not have had c.section scare on my records because it was not serious enough, which really p*** me off as i didnt panick at the time but the delivery team seemed to think that it was serious enough to. My db's heartbeat fell off the monitor trace and when drip was turned off shot back up to 60 beats per min but it only says on notes 60 beats level can anyone out there tell me if i am being paranoid and is this classed as seriouse p,s they were going to do the c. there in the delivery room and not in theatre.

hester Wed 05-Jan-05 17:46:32

So sorry that you're having such a worrying time, furballmad. Just bumping this up so that someone better qualified than me might notice and give good advice.

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 17:53:19

Many thanks, feel better for having a moan.

ladymuck Wed 05-Jan-05 17:55:38

When's your next appt? Aren't they weekly at this stage? You can ask again next week? Have they taken any growth scans recently? Ds1 was 9lb 3 (at 3 days over), but at 5 foot or so thsi was deemed quite big for me so I did have extra scans second time round.

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 17:56:32

should i have let her give me a sweep. Ihave heard that this only works if your cervix is ripe?

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 17:58:06

next app on monday, I am due on 15th. Have been asking for a scan for last 6 weeks but they refuse saying it wont be an accurate guide to size.

ladymuck Wed 05-Jan-05 18:03:27

Would definitely agree that growth scans are far from accurate - Ds1 was estimated to be 8lbs 3 days before birth. At 38 weeks ds2 was estimated to be 9 lbs (and therefore would be 10 lbs at full term), so we had an elective at 39 weeks when he weighed in at 7lbs 3oz!

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 18:05:04

they said ds was 8ib and i had no water midwife swam out of room when they broke mine. They say this one is 8lb and no water.???

ladymuck Wed 05-Jan-05 18:17:16

If they haven't scanned you how are they estimating the weight?

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 18:27:17

just by feeling her head, but as i said the head wasn't the problem the shoulders were.

yoyo Wed 05-Jan-05 20:29:05

Just bumping this for you. No experience of your problem, sorry. Hope someone else can help.

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 20:30:54

Thankyou yoyo

oatcake Wed 05-Jan-05 21:27:08

hey furballmad! I'm a student. you don't want to listen to me

I couldn't actually get to grips with what you were trying to say in your original text (a bit tired).

All I can say is shout loud, insist on what you want, and do you know, as long as the baby isn't compromised, you'll get it! You'll get such a reputation but you gotta stand up for your rights.

People give birth to large babies all the time, so unless your frame is small, another large baby shouldn't be a problem.

Scanning the baby isn't totally accurate but it will give an idea of the size so ask about that.

Sorry can't help more,but at this time of night, my brain doesn't work.

furballmad Wed 05-Jan-05 21:39:55

ok thanks, wikshout loud on Monday only joking but will stick to my guns

coppertop Wed 05-Jan-05 21:53:27

Furballmad - You sound quite similar to me. The only difference is that they didn't tell me until afterwards that they had decided that if ds1 wasn't out within a set time I would need an emergency c/s.

Ds1 was 9lb 8oz and born after 40hrs of labour. His shoulders got stuck but the doctor and MW were able to free him. With ds2 I was given several growth scans as the MW didn't want him to be any bigger than his brother was. I was induced at 38 weeks when ds2 was estimated to be about 8lb. I also had a note on my records about the risk of his shoulders getting stuck. He arrived after 6hrs of labour weighing exactly 9lb.

eidsvold Thu 06-Jan-05 05:45:16

I find that unusual that they will not let you have a scan for growth reasons as I had growth scans for both dd's. The last one monitoring dd1's growth probably saved her life and they were pretty close with their estimate. This time with dd2 - the estimate was out by 280g... but they did the prediction on term rather than ten days over. Again I had a scan at 36 weeks as they wanted to find out what they could re the baby's size and how that would impact on my desire for a vbac.

I agree about shouting and shouting until you find someone who can give you the information you need and repeat the midwife's info over and over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now