Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Group strep B - how do you know if you have it? Symptoms?

(19 Posts)
popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:26:58

Shouldn't google and shouldn't give myself things to worry about. But this is today's worry.

TIA for advice

JJ Wed 05-Jan-05 10:52:59

No symptoms. You should get a swab done between 35-37 weeks and, if you test positive, get IV antibiotics during labour. According to the Group B Strep Support site (http://www.gbss.org.uk - not linking it in case you don't want to read it!), you can get the tests here . That page will tell you what to do and how to submit them.

I tested positive for it in my first pregnancy (in the US) and had antibiotics in both (the test wasn't available when I had my son here!). Don't worry, as it's very preventable.

juniperdewdrop Wed 05-Jan-05 11:14:26

I think everyone should be tested tbh because of friends stories. Get onto your GP if you're worried hun xx

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 11:15:28

I will ask the midwife.
Now that my blood pressure seems to be sorting itself out, I just need something else to worry about.
Typical!
Tahnks!

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 12:30:36

It isnt routinely tested though is it? I know I wasnt tested with DS. Don;t think I even knew abotu it then

JJ Wed 05-Jan-05 13:21:32

My ob/gyn in the US routinely did it, but it's not done here on the NHS. Your midwife will be able to request the test and do the swabs - just ask her. You'll have to pay for it, though, I believe.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 13:21:56

I will ask - thanks

JJ Wed 05-Jan-05 13:23:17

Am losing my mind- you had already said that! The boys are doing my head in atm. Oops!

edam Wed 05-Jan-05 13:46:00

There's an article on this in the current issue of Pregnancy and birth magazine. Although not routine on NHS, as everyone has said, a high vaginal swab (taken near the cervix) may pick it up anyway when testing for other infections. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists says even if you don't know you've got it, you should be picked up if you have these risk factors: waters breaking pre-term, going into labour before 37 weeks, waters breaking pre-delivery, or a raised temperature during labour.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 13:47:47

i havent had an swabs for any other infections....

edam Wed 05-Jan-05 14:21:56

do post when you've got a response to your request from your m/w will be interested to see what she says...
and fingers crossed this is just one of those things we all worry about in pregnancy but fortunately very rarely suffer from!

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 14:23:21

I will do, edam
appointment next tuesday
thanks for advice

edam Wed 05-Jan-05 14:27:07

No probs Popsy, have my reference books standing by for tomorrow's pregnancy worry!

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 14:28:01

hop on the aby names thread and help me out there!

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 14:28:42

baby names rather!

this is what I get for still sending ds to childminders a few days a week when on maternity!

Sallie Thu 06-Jan-05 13:34:37

I tested positive for group b strep when I went for a routine smear test following dd's arrival (my second child). Am nervous about how it will affect me the next time I am pg. Actually just got a bfp although its very very early days . Any thoughts welcome!

JJ Thu 06-Jan-05 14:55:25

Sallie, from what I understand, it comes and goes. Your next pregnancy you should have a swab taken at 35-37 weeks and go from there. There's a link to the lab that does the tests somewhere on this thread. Just ask your midwife to order it for you when the time comes.

But don't worry! (Easier said than done, I know. )

KateandtheGirls Thu 06-Jan-05 15:11:03

I had a routine swab at 35.5 weeks with my first (in the US), but waters broke and was induced before the results came back, so they gave me antibiotics during labour just in case.

Prufrock Sat 08-Jan-05 22:19:47

I tested positive for GBS in a routine urine sample at 32 weeks this pregnancy. (I was having an elective C-sections so it didn't really matter). But I was having symptoms of a urinary infection (cloudy pee/kidneyish pain). As my urine had protein they sent it off to be tested for GBS - saved me money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now