Talk

Advanced search

Mumps and pregnancy

(6 Posts)
mrsflowerpot Wed 05-Jan-05 09:31:49

I'm 17 weeks pg and have just dropped ds off at nursery to see a notice up that the teacher's daughter (ie nobody we have direct contact with) has mumps. DS has had both rounds of the MMR, so he shouldn't catch it. I know it is a miscarriage risk in the first trimester, but at 17 weeks is it still a risk for me? Everything I can find online only talks about the first three months, and my midwife, needless to say, is not available.

Any thoughts very gratefully received, particularly if you are able to tell me that I don't have to keep him off nursery .

Twiglett Wed 05-Jan-05 09:35:01

you're most probably immune aren't you ... do you remember having it as a child?

it really is just the first trimester I believe .. I would try to relax and try to discover your own immunity state so that you can relax even further

mrsflowerpot Wed 05-Jan-05 09:39:07

Thanks for that. I think I had it as a child, but my mum has had a senior moment over it and can only remember that 'at least 2 of you had it..!

I'm not too worried, tbh, I'm mostly concerned that I might have to take ds out of nursery as he was desperate to go back after Christmas, bless him, not to mention the relief of 2.5 hours silence in the house after the noise of the last fortnight.

Twiglett Wed 05-Jan-05 09:44:12

No don't keep him off ..

firstly he's supposed to be protected from the vaccinations

secondly if he does catch it, no way but if he does he'll have lifelong immunity

and third .. if you're immune, you're immune

Leogaela Wed 05-Jan-05 09:44:40

Sorry, I don't know about the mumps... but that's something else very reasuring for me mrsflowerpot - I thought my mum was the only mum that said things like that!!!

mrsflowerpot Wed 05-Jan-05 10:00:32

Mum spent half an hour over christmas getting cross with me for not remembering a primary school teacher, and then remembered that she had actually taught my sister eight years later and I'd never met her. So it's no great surprise that she doesn't remember who had what as kids! This is what I have to look forward to...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now