Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Bugaboo

(34 Posts)
shhhh Tue 04-Jan-05 19:52:27

Hi,
Im currently 21 weeks pregnant & myself & DH are in the process of looking at prams for our "soon to be" addition to our family.
After looking at several sites & stores for different types of prams we have settled on either a mamas & papas one or a Bugaboo. We have been advised against the m&p one as it seems to be one of the prams stores have the most problems with.
Due to this we are quite keen on the bugaboo. What impresses us mostly is how light it is, im only 4ft 11in so don't want something that I will struggle with, both weight and height wise. DH on the other hand is over 6ft! So we need something that suits us both.
Can anyone offer us any advise on the Bugaboo and if you have one how do you find it? Is it easy to manouvere, fold down,use etc.
Your comments would be appreciated.:0

shhhh Wed 05-Jan-05 16:57:31

Does anyone have any advice on the bugaboo prams.?!!! Or the Mutsy urban traveller?...

pooka Wed 05-Jan-05 18:52:58

Sorry Ssshh - just bumping this. I've had a maclaran techno XT and a mamas and papas pliko. But would loooove a bugaboo as they look fab. No clue about the practicalities, though!

bakedpotato Wed 05-Jan-05 18:57:04

is that the one gwyneth had? i do remember that great story about her taking Apple out to lunch at The Ivy and the bugaboo requiring 2 security guards to reassemble it afterwards
knowing what they cost -- possibly there's a bit of envy in there too -- i always have a sneaky giggle at the smuggles pushing them

Gomez Wed 05-Jan-05 19:04:20

Don't have one but two NCT chums do with varying happiness. One thinks so not worth the money and is a complete pain - big boot required, she doesn't rate it on the small wheels and it is a real faff even now when her DD is in the 'pushchair' bit and she still needs to unclip that part before folding frame. The other is less unhappy but still not over the moon and both grumble about the cost of accessories etc. (Although to be fair I have a Jane and their bits and pieces cost a fortune too.)

I grilled them both recently as The Bugaboo and the Jane were our shortlist and I was curious as to how they had got on. As I was v. jelly since it is cool!
HTH

bongobum Wed 05-Jan-05 19:12:02

hiya shhhh I wanted one a while ago but the price tag put me off. My DS is 7 months now and I have been through 2 prams and wish i had just bought one as I have spent over £300 with accessories.

I really like the Mutsy too, apprently very easy to steer etc. I just want something sturdy, reliable,light and fairly narrow - looking cool would be good to oooh how shallow am I .

I'm actually after just the pushchair but have been unable to find one. The nearest big baby pushchair supplier here has a lad of the same age as mine and she says you can't beat the bugaboo as it ticks all boxes she also recommend one called an Explory which may work for you as it too is very light, compact etc. You can find it on the Stokke website.

There are quite a few threads if you look at the archives on the Bugaboo, will read this thread with interest.

shhhh Wed 05-Jan-05 19:12:53

Thanks for your replies. Baked Potato I also remembered that story and I think it may have been about the bugaboo although we have been advised "like most new things" it can take a while to get used to. Suppose we will have to have practise runs before baby arrives.!
Anyone else with advise on the Bugaboo or the Mutsy Urban traveller please let me know.

pooka Thu 06-Jan-05 11:13:42

Oooh yes - the explory looks great too, and the baby is perched higher up if I remember correctly, so not directly near car exhaust fumes.

Sallie Thu 06-Jan-05 11:21:34

I have to say that I am a huge fan of Mountain Buggys. I bought a double urban when my second child appeared and haven't regretted it for one moment. Have also heard from friends with Bugaboos that it is a real pain to collapse/reassemble. The MB is very simple in design. Only downside is that all the extras are pricey. But IMO, its worth the expense.

hub2dee Thu 03-Feb-05 09:55:00

Another thread was discussing bugaboos etc. Bundle called them 'mugaboos' which I thought v. clever and funny. Come on, you've got to admit with their differing wheel sizes and odd frame they can look a bit aesthetically challenged.

Personally I like the idea of the xplory as you have the choice of forward / backward facing as well as the 'high chair' capability and give sprog a better viewing vantage point. A number of times people with push chairs mentioned their babies being tripped over as the stroller positions the child so low. I doubt anyone could trip over the xplory when the kid is up high. I do concede though it does look a little odd, but prettier than the mugaboo.

If you search the archives there are dozens of posts from the various buggy addicts who could give more advice.

lockets Thu 03-Feb-05 10:17:01

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Thu 03-Feb-05 12:00:51

Anyone use the E3 with the extra seat ? It looks like it might be kinda unpleasant for the bubba 'down below'

ernest Fri 04-Feb-05 13:02:25

hub2dee, mine always fight over who will be under.... never had any complaints frm mine

hub2dee Fri 04-Feb-05 14:51:34

Suppose, ernest, it's like a go kart, very low centre of gravity means everything feels fast. That's why they must like the rear seat ... but seriously, it ain't much of a view is it ?

RTKM, bet your kid(s) couldn't stand it so low, after the XC90 You need to look at the elevated Stokke Xplory (which I actually like) - they won't know they've moved from the wagon to the pushchair.

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 15:44:18

ernest Fri 04-Feb-05 17:04:31

dunno, never sat in it myself but my boys like it.

hub2dee Fri 04-Feb-05 17:09:54

Don't be bashful, ernest. I've seen the photo of you squeezed into that lower seat with a big smile on your face and your arms stretched out doing airplane wings

ernest Mon 07-Feb-05 11:59:12

I thought I'd destroyed all of those

hub2dee Mon 07-Feb-05 16:55:56

Oh dear. Went to the pram shop for the first time today. Xplory seemed overly large and a bit tricky to get up and down, also quite a bit of flex in the body, although I still think it is a neat design.

Bugaboo required extensive putty-up putty-down training but seemed comfortable. I still think it looks mingin'.

Didn't have the E3 or the Quinny Buzz and Zapp which I am interested in.

All mind-blowingly complicated. Shop assistant thought Bébé Comfort's Loola was good. It's just all too much. Luckily I have months to obsess about it.

ernest Mon 07-Feb-05 17:20:01

DO NOT GET BEBE CONFORT!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for shouting. My biggest & most expensive baby buying mistake.

For a main pushchair I'd say Zap was too flimsy, buzz'd be better. After my bc experience, I have emroiled myself in the world of pushchairs & am a great lover of them. Obsession & passion combined. I also wouldn't get frog.

Sallie Mon 07-Feb-05 17:23:51

hub2dee try looking at the Mountain Buggy Urban.....

cazzybabs Mon 07-Feb-05 17:43:11

another MB fan - we had a graco before, but the Mb is so much easier to push and can have a kiddiboard attached to it. go for the MB!!!!!

ernest Mon 07-Feb-05 18:06:05

but the e3 is basically the same as the mb, but with the added advantage of possibility of converting to double, or have I missed something? Look very similar to me....

except you can't use buggy board with e3, but then you have 2nd seat, so wouldn't need it, plus 2nd seat great for big shopping trip

ernest Mon 07-Feb-05 18:08:51

i must get a life... just checked out mb web site, it does look sam as e3 in terms of distance from seat back to handle, so how do you have buggy board? Where does the kid put it's head?

hub2dee Tue 08-Feb-05 19:17:33

oooh. Tried a Mountain Buggy double stroller today (a friend... I have not just produced two sproglets overnight). Seemed strong, with good suspension, not obscenely wide, lovely squidgy grip on handle.

Friend recounted worrying episode though: running through forest with stroller and it kind of collapsed on itself and he flew over it and basically landed on the kids ! [major shock] I presume it was incorrectly assembled at the time, but I didn't enquire further...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: