Talk

Advanced search

Nursing chairs

(21 Posts)
Vic69 Tue 21-Dec-04 13:22:29

Is it worth trying to find one? If so, what should I be looking for apart from something low and without arms?

Thanks!
Vic

scubamum Tue 21-Dec-04 13:29:22

I have a glider chair - yes, expensive but it has so far been worth it IMO. Mine was reduced so have a look at the sales after Xmas.

It was regularly used during pregnancy (comfy and encouraged me to have my feet up) and so far (early days as she is only 6 days old) the arm rest has been useful for when feeding 'rugby ball' style, and resting arm on when feeding 'tummy to tummy', with the pocket in the side for stuff.

PrettyHannukahndles Tue 21-Dec-04 13:41:21

I also have a glider chair with pockets in the arms. Loved it when I was pg, and for story-time from when ds was a few months old, but found it useless for feeding. The major problem was that the arms were too low so I had to use cushions to prop my arms up. (The most comfortable chair I ever fed in was an old-people's armchair at the hospital: rather low seat meant that my legs were comfortably bent, and very high sides gave my arms good support.) When we bought it we assumed we'd have hours of rocking crying babies to sleep in the middle of the night - I'm sure it would have been very usefull for that, but fortunately it was never needed!

An indulgence, IMO.

Tommy Tue 21-Dec-04 13:49:31

I love mine! Doesn't have pockets in the arms though but that sounds useful for keeping the remote control and phone in for long breastfeeding sessions! Mine's a Dutalier - quite pricey but it was bought about 3 and a half years ago and I can honestly say it has been used every day loads. Really good for pregancy putting feet up, feeding, rocking baby (and mum) to sleep very often (last time was 2 nights ago with DS2 who is 16m) I wouldn't be without it

merglemergle Mon 27-Dec-04 18:48:02

When ds was quite little he and I would regualrly go down to the big Mothercare to sit in their gliders for an hour or two.

The assitants were very nice and never said anything.

They are lovely but so expensive. About 300 quid I think including the footstool (which I think you need really).

StuffTheMagicTurkey Mon 27-Dec-04 18:57:14

I had a dutalier one (with footstool) - expensive, but marvellous! I only sold it (to a fellow mumsnetter) due to space issues after having wardrobes fitted in our bedroom.

They do come up for sale on ebay, so keep a look out.

The dutalier ones are very good indeed.

starlover Thu 06-Jan-05 16:57:04

I just got mine from kiddicare.
It was £159.99 with free footstool, made by Hauck...
I am 38 weeks pregnant and already loving sitting in it. It's nice and high which is good because I have a lot of pelvic pain which makes getting up and down really hard!!!!
Anyway, kiddicare were great and delivery was within a few days... the chair was less than half the price I had seen it for in my local nursery shop as well!

beansprout Thu 06-Jan-05 17:01:08

I wish I had got one, as I spend hours in chairs that just ain't suited to the job and have a new kind of backache as a result!!
Not recommended! Space prevents us getting one though

Gwenick Thu 06-Jan-05 17:05:01

I never bothered with one - bf DS one for 14 months on chairs,benches and stools of all descriptions without any problems. I think one of those things which is 'nice' but not essential.

incywincy Thu 06-Jan-05 17:19:41

I loved mine (a dutailier with stool and locking mechanism) not just for baby but for sitting in with my feet up. Try here chair and stool £99 . No experience on this make but a good price.

ZoeBristol Thu 06-Jan-05 17:20:13

I have the dutailer fab for feeding but even better for chilling with a large glass of red !! not whilst feeding obviously

lockets Thu 06-Jan-05 17:24:31

Message withdrawn

sleepytinkerbell Fri 07-Jan-05 16:37:30

i also love my dutalier which has seen me through 2 kids and has even been leant out to friends who were breastfeeding, pleased to say that it is now back home and the staple bedtime reading chair for me and my boys

Gem13 Fri 07-Jan-05 16:44:48

I used one briefly in hospital and thought it was great.

They are very expensive though and while it would have been great with a first baby I was on number 2 with a toddler to chase after. I ended up feeding wherever I found myself. Also, half the time I was feeding in bed and we would have put the chair in the sitting room so it would have only been used half the time.

That said I would be tempted next time round

I searched through the archive on here for more details about them. I came to the conclusion that it need to have padded arms, an accompanying footstool and be one of the priceier makes.

Spacecadet Fri 07-Jan-05 16:45:35

I have a hauk, glider chair and stool, £149.99 from Kiddicare, dh bought it while I was preg with dd2( 5 months) I used to sit on it alot before she was born, it helped ease all the awful aches and pains, its still very much a feature in our living room and will be coming back into use again in aug!!

Spacecadet Fri 07-Jan-05 16:48:41

they are great for easing the afterpains you tend get while bf if its a subsequent baby, rocking back and forth helps.

charleypops Fri 07-Jan-05 16:50:23

Have a look here - a link I've copied. Katzuk foundit

janeybops Fri 07-Jan-05 17:01:45

I have an old fashioned rocking chair with arms and wings (great when you fall asleep). Bought it for £1.50 at an auction and my dad recovered it for me. Has seen me through 2 babies and their bf needs - still using it for ds.

It is the only comfortable place to feed IMO as I have bad back and ds is a very big baby (HEAVY)

Skribble Wed 26-Jan-05 00:44:11

A low chair with low padded arms or cushions pus foot stool is ideal, it doesn't really have to glide. Ikea have some good ones reasonable price.

Its good to have a designated seat for feeding (breast or bottle, mum or dad), keep every thing beside it that you will need. Have your radio nearby it or the remote and invest in a cordless phone. Nice to sit and natter rather than running through to kitchen whilst still trying to feed.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 26-Jan-05 00:48:08

what an excellent price charley. My friend lent me her chair. It was wonderful. If I'd found it at that price I would've bought it myself.

veepee Wed 26-Jan-05 13:02:49

Charley & incywincy, I have the glider you mention and stool from DA Nursery & Toys, and it's fantastic. It's not only an amazing price, but has helped my back, ankles and neck and helps to give me a break from the nagging of dp. Highly recommended to anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now