Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anterior Urethral Valves/ Megacystis at 12 - 14 wks - any experiences?

(13 Posts)
RachAndFamousNot Sun 10-Feb-08 15:38:31

At a scan at 12 weeks fetus was diagnosed with Megacystis - probably Anterior Urethral Valves. We should have another scan in a week or so so should know more but anyone know anything about this?

justjules Sun 10-Feb-08 19:35:19

i have no idea but bumping incase someone more knowledgable comes along

RachAndFamousNot Sun 10-Feb-08 20:02:32

Thank you

justjules Mon 11-Feb-08 12:32:05

and bumping again

Pitchounette Mon 11-Feb-08 12:49:37

Message withdrawn

justjules Tue 12-Feb-08 09:16:53

bump

PetitFilou1 Tue 12-Feb-08 09:36:47

Rach Sorry to hear that. Has the hospital doctor explained much about it to you?

RachAndFamousNot Tue 12-Feb-08 12:35:04

Well at the scan it did appear that there was not much hope, because of the size of the bladder this would affect kidney function and therefore amniotic fluid, and therefore lung developmen and basically was not compatible with life.

However since then we've had another opinion that it MAY resolve itself - we will see how much amniotic fluid there is on Monday, so will have a better idea.

Thanks for your messages. Will keep you posted in case you're interested or helps anyone further down the line.

PetitFilou1 Tue 12-Feb-08 13:51:32

You poor thing. Good luck for Monday. I think the reason you've not had much response is that the diagnosis is so rare (having googled it). I wish you the best anyway

justjules Tue 12-Feb-08 17:45:23

hi rach,

what a worry for you sad

i pray everything is ok at the scan and the little one makes it,

do keep us informed,

take care ((hug))

panu123 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:01:03

Hi, I also went for a 12+3 week scan and was told the baby has a megacystis. It is a rare malformation of the bladder between 10 – 14 weeks where the bladder diameter is usually 7 mm or more. Usually diameter > 16mm falls into severe megacystis.
If the bladder diameter is between 7-15 mm then there is a risk of chromosomal defects, mainly trisomy 13 and 18, of about 25%. In this bladder diameter range and in absence of chromosomal defects, the megacystis will resolve in about 90% of the cases.
But if the diameter is > 16mm then the chances of chromosomal risk is 10% only but the chromosomally normal group had an increased risk of progressive Low Obstructive Uropathy. Case studies show that Progressive megacystis with Low Obstructive Uropathy had a bladder length of >16 mm and a diameter/CRL ratio >28 %.
Megacystis is also associated with other fetal abnormalities such as increased NT, which was observed in a case study in 75% of fetuses with chromosomal abnormalities. So your Dr most probably will ask you to do a CVS to rule that out.
There are treatments available like putting a shunt to let the urine pass into the amniotic fluid. But the chances of miscarriage is higher and success for such cases is not conclusive.
I am also very sad and don't know what to do. I have read there are cases where megacystis with > 25mm resolved itself and some babies with shuting treatment were born without any serious complications, so I am trying to stay positive. Hope you also feel better - just know God can work wonders so just pray and stay positive.

panu123 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:50:37

Hi,

I got my scan done at 15+3 weeks again and the megacystis resolved itself! I am so grateful to God. The megacystis was >15mm, I think it was 16.2mm.
They gave me a 50 % chance of natural resolution. I pray for everyone who is going through the same situation and also can hear some good news.

clarey2311 Tue 05-Jul-11 15:21:47

Panu123 I am so glad to read your post as it gives me some hope. Just had a scan at the John Radcliffe today and I was 2 weeks further along than I thought at 12 + 0 (due Jan 17 2012); my baby has megacystis measuring between 7-15mm. Done the Google thing and read the published literature, wish I was not a scientist with internet access is all I can say. I have had bloods taken and go back this Friday morning to find out the results. Very worried about the odds of Trisomy 13 and 18, just praying, like in your case, that it will resolve. I am so thankful that I have got this far, having had 2 previous miscarriages at 10 weeks and no baby to hold in my arms. I am 37. Let us know how you get on, I pray that all will be well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now