Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Exemption Card- what do I get for free??????

(17 Posts)
makecakesnotwar Fri 04-Jan-08 17:24:22

My card has arrived and I plan on taking full advantage. But what are we pregnant ladies entitled to? Obviously free prescriptions, but dental care, opticians, any thing else? Any advice from pros gratefully received...

TheBlonde Fri 04-Jan-08 17:40:55

dental care

that's it

deaconblue Fri 04-Jan-08 17:41:35

not a lot. You get free dental care if you are already registered with an NHS dentist. Don't get anything from the opticians. Well worth a trip to the dentist though

babycarrier Sat 05-Jan-08 08:46:58

sorry to interupt but you can get free glasses from optician or you get a percentage off the price also if you are on benefits you can actually get your baby milk half price or at a cut price cant remember which as i didnt take on the offer of that one.

Mumblesmummy Sun 06-Jan-08 14:23:19

Specsavers don't accept them for anything unfortunately sad I wouldn't have bothered going had I known! I am registering with an NHS dentist next week and they're free because i rang up and asked. Other than that, just prescription as far as I'm aware. It should work for more I think!!!

deaconblue Sun 06-Jan-08 18:58:40

are you sure babycarrier? I went for eye test last time I was pregnant and was told I still had to pay. Is it just if you are pregnant and on other benefits?

curlywurlycremeegg Sun 06-Jan-08 19:03:30

just NHS prescription (ie not from a private practice) and NHS dental work, things like non amalgam filings are not included

KelaS Sun 06-Jan-08 19:42:21

Yeah, I checked last time I was at the opticians and you do not get any free treatment/glasses etc for being pg - however yoiu do if you are on benefits. Which is why I made sure I got an eye care voucher from work just before I went on mat leave

bookwormmum Sun 06-Jan-08 19:46:48

Don't you get free vitamins and milk after the baby is born or is that just for women on benefits?

I'm sure there's a Govt website with all the info on.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 06-Jan-08 19:51:08

Women on benefits get a healthy start voucher for £200 towards fruit, vegetables, heroin etc (only joking but you can spend it on what you like).

With the maternity exemption you can get free prescriptions including surgical devices until a year after your due date, also free dental care for this period. Under the new NHS pricing scheme I don't think you have to pay for anything - I certainly didn't last year.

Optical care is not included because your sight changes naturally during pregnancy so the govt don't think it worthy of coverage hmm

Obv. your child will also get free dental, prescriptions and interestingly optical care, when he or she is born.

bigboydiditandranaway Sun 06-Jan-08 19:52:21

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but when do you get your exemption card, i can't remember!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 06-Jan-08 20:00:02

You apply for it at your booking visit - the MW should fill in the form and send it off or give it to you to send off if they are too stingy to stump up for a stamp (ours are). hmm Takes about three weeks from then.

makecakesnotwar Mon 07-Jan-08 09:55:15

Thanks everyone....very disappointed not to get money off eye care. Poor show!!!

Sisiche Tue 25-Apr-17 19:32:42

D

Sisiche Tue 25-Apr-17 19:37:36

What about discount on the train

BentleyBelly Tue 25-Apr-17 20:51:08

If you show it at our local swimming pool you get in for free! Might be something similar in your area

Sisiche Fri 28-Apr-17 12:17:25

No I saw when they issued my maternity card on the back side of the paper where was attached the card was mention discount on trains,did anyone used this discount and how much it is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now