Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

37 weeks pregnant and craving the smell of rubber does this mean i'm deficient in something if so what?

(26 Posts)
Ledodgy Sun 16-Dec-07 21:58:35

Title says it all really i've never had any non- food cravings in my other two pregnancies but this week in this pregnancy I can't get enough of the smell of rubber and i'm even tempted to steal one of ds's dummies to suck/bite on. Do you reckon i'm deficient in some important vitamin or just a bit strange? I was in Wickes DIY today and couldn't get enough of the aisle which had some kind of rubber tubing on, i'm starting to get funny looks!

candypandy Sun 16-Dec-07 22:04:27

I know what you mean. I was obsessed with the smell of tar. Asked the doctor but he didn't say anything about deficiencies -- just told me not to go round smelling tar as it's bad for the baby. But I don't think smelling rubber can be bad for anybody?

Ledodgy Sun 16-Dec-07 22:20:55

I hope not!

gigglewitchyouamerrychristmas Sun 16-Dec-07 22:30:25

just think it's your senses going a bit crazy - i.e. part of the pg funhmm

maybe you should leave the car tyres alone, they take forever to cook properly grin
sorryblush

Ledodgy Sun 16-Dec-07 22:30:50

grin

PaulaYatesbiggestfan Sun 16-Dec-07 22:33:17

(loving that book you guided me to ledodgy! smile)

Ledodgy Sun 16-Dec-07 22:34:20

Which book? <<addled rubber craving pregnancy brain>>> grin

lostinfrance Sun 16-Dec-07 22:37:42

Message withdrawn

Ledodgy Sun 16-Dec-07 22:38:57

OOh rubber suction pads now you're really teasing me. Stop it!

madamy Sun 16-Dec-07 22:42:36

God - I still have this after 3 pgs, and I'm not pg now but adore the smell blush.

DH got a bit excited and thought I was gearing up for a rubber fetish but I swiftly knocked that on the head!

lostinfrance Sun 16-Dec-07 22:44:11

Message withdrawn

harman Sun 16-Dec-07 22:46:38

Message withdrawn

mawbroonGotRunOverByAReindeer Sun 16-Dec-07 22:47:46

I remember making excuses to go to the stationery cupboard at work when pg as I loved sniffing the elastic bands blush. I stopped short of chewing them though!

Don't know what it means in terms of deficiency though....

OldieButGoldie Sun 16-Dec-07 23:25:20

Thank goodness I am not alone!! I am currently 30 weeks and have had this craving for at least 5 weeks now and its driving me mad. Before I experienced it I was a bit sceptical about non food cravings. I too have had a go at the rubber connection for the basin spray thingy but it wasn't quite the right kind of rubber, but Woolies have the best hot water bottles for it and I sniffed the most amazing rubber doormat in Sainsbury's the other day!

I googled it and its known as pica (all non food cravings) and sometimes it is thought to be a sign of iron deficiency/anaemia. As I had some other symptoms pointing to iron deficiency I started taking a supplement. The other symptoms have gone but not the desire to smell/chew rubber.

Must give one of those little soap mats a go grin

OldieButGoldie Sun 16-Dec-07 23:27:51

By the way, the doormat in Sainsbury's was for sale on a shelf, not an old dirty one on the floor, I haven't gone quite that far yet blush

whomovedmychocolate Sun 16-Dec-07 23:33:10

Yeah it means you are deficient in normality that's all. I believe they sell it in M&S grin

My cat has Pica - attacked an ex-bf actually when he was wearing a condom - v funny (not for him obviously). At least you aren't licking bricks, (I knew someone who had a thing for bricks when pregnant....now that was seriously weird - they had to be red bricks too!) grin

Ledodgy Mon 17-Dec-07 09:24:49

grin Oh God rubber hot water bottle that's what I really want the one that smelt like the one I had as a child I loved the smell then too.

shock at Whomoved's Cat, condom and ex boyf saga!

Oldie et all i'm glad i'm not alone. smile

skidoodle Mon 17-Dec-07 12:58:36

Wow, what a relief. I've been craving all kinds of chemical smells in the last week or so (28 weeks pg) and had never heard of a craving for a smell.

Rubber works OK for me, or the smell or new cars, or the smell of DH's underground carpark. I daren't even think of creosote, which I love the smell of even when not having weird smell cravings.

SpacecadetLovesChristmas Mon 17-Dec-07 13:05:55

I think its normalgrin..when I was preg with dd, I carved the smell of petrol!! when I was filling the car up I would stand there breathing in..not good, I woulnt recommend it!..I used to love going to Halfords and hanging out round the tyre and rubber accessories aisle..mmmmm..still quite like the smell wven nowgrin

ShinyHappyStarOfBethlehem Mon 17-Dec-07 13:08:19

Oh God yes I was the same with DD! I used to get the right hump with DS if he forgot to bring his PE bag home from school every night because I wanted to sniff his pumps/plimpsolls!!!

New mouse mats, rolled up and carried around with you! OOohhhh yummy.. I almost wanted to EAT it!!

I don't think it's a deficiency.. it's just a pregnancy weirdy thing...

Louandben Mon 17-Dec-07 18:28:15

My SIL had it when she was pregnant, along with a love of the smell of petrol (she hung around a garage forecourt breathing deeply for so long one day she had a proper panic about whether she may have harmed the baby!). Her hubby loves cycling and brought a new tyre into the kitchen one day, usually she is obsessively tidy but she let him leave it there for ages and I think even licked it...its clearly not unusual but its a very odd one isnt it!

wb Mon 17-Dec-07 19:07:27

With me its synthetic bath sponges - tear them into bits then chew (don't actually eat them). Dh refused to believe that this was a proper craving first time round but this time just goes and buys them without comment wink

ellad Sat 05-Sep-09 14:12:20

OMG! I'm not the only one that loves the smell of rubber. Everytime I go to walmart i go to the tire section to sniff the wondorous smell and then to the bike section to smell it up close~I have never met anyone that shares this.

scratchet Sat 05-Sep-09 16:49:37

I also eat the bath sponges. Have done with all 3 pregnancies and i cannot control it! I have to have them!

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 05-Sep-09 17:06:00

whomovedmychocolate - I had a thing for bricks, still have it sometimes even though I'm not pregnant. And licking emery board, the cardboard grainy ones. Mmm. Not keen on the smell of rubber though.

I am anaemic - hoping maybe this explains it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now