The long wait for labour

(74 Posts)
Catlover8926 Fri 30-Apr-21 17:38:49

Does anyone want to join me in the longgg wait for labour? I’m 38 weeks but have been having braxton hicks for WEEKS which aren’t doing anything to my cervix. I’m exhausted and just want my waters to burst so I can get it over with and meet baby! Anyone else?

OP’s posts: |
BeeMakesTea Fri 30-Apr-21 20:43:41

Hi, I’m 39+1 today so in the same boat of just waiting for something to happen! Had a lot of tightenings yesterday but not much today. My first baby came at 39+6 so hoping this one is similar. Is this your first?

Catlover8926 Fri 30-Apr-21 21:37:52

@beemakestea no it’s my second, my first came at 36 weeks so I’m getting impatient now! I know they’ll come when they’re ready but I’m hoping that’s soon grin

StrawberriCream Fri 30-Apr-21 21:52:23

I'm also 39+1, this is baby#4 for me - but I've always had late babies - 41+1, 40+5 and 41+3 so far so I'm not holding out massive hope for a on time baby

lucymagoo Fri 30-Apr-21 22:29:31

Yes, 37+5 and hit a wall today where everything hurts, utterly fed up. Stabbing pains when I bend down, hip pain, carpal tunnel, I'm ready for him to get out now envy

Catlover8926 Fri 30-Apr-21 22:39:50

@lucymagoo I feel you! I’m so bloody achey and have my first child to look after. I just feel like I can’t do it anymore but know there’s no choice blush

lucymagoo Fri 30-Apr-21 22:43:41

@Catlover8926 oh gosh I'm glad this is my first and I can just sit around all day moaning, it's definitely a luxury. I don't know how you do it!

workingmummyof2soontobe3 Fri 30-Apr-21 23:19:31

I’ll join, currently 36 weeks and hit a wall the last 2 days. Constant braxton hicks & baby so low it’s like there’s a ball between my legs. It’s my third and both my others came at 39+1 so I’m hoping I don’t have too much longer x

fattymumbum Sat 01-May-21 02:28:42

I'm 39 +1 too and I've left so much stuff to the last minute. So I'm spending all my time trying to run around and entertain my toddler and get stuff ready! And then I'm crying all the time because of the hormones and its too stressful.
I thought I'd be nicely relaxing and waiting for baby like you all, but I guess I've done this to myself!!!
I have no hospital bag ready and we haven't discussed any names at all!!!!

Please tell me what it's like waiting for a baby, it actually sounds bliss!

lucymagoo Sat 01-May-21 02:46:52

@fattymumbum I'm not sure "bliss" is the word I'd use grin currently in tears on the birthing ball at 3am unable to lie down due to reflux and PGP

"Not long now" I keep being told sad

fattymumbum Sat 01-May-21 03:06:03

Oh no 😟xx I don't have pgp but do have constant reflux and burping despite getting tablets from gp!!!
I feel like the baby will drop out any minute and going to the toilet for a dribble constantly!!! Just got back to bed after getting my DD back to sleep and lying on the floor.

It sounds agony for you though. Do you not think it'll be worse when you have a baby and no sleep? X

fattymumbum Sat 01-May-21 03:06:57

Aww the crying is the worse you have my sympathies xxx

Catlover8926 Sat 01-May-21 07:39:18

@fattymumbum you can blast through it quickly if needs be, do you know how long you’re likely to be in for? @lucymagoo I feel you with the reflux, I’m on the Rennies like sweets but it takes about 10 to help!

Jade86 Sat 01-May-21 08:22:31

Yep, totally feeling this 38 weeks today, been diagnosed with GD and hypothyroidism with conflicting diets for both, braxton hicks for weeks, tightenings that are doing nothing. Exhausted, 8mile walks to get youngest to and from school as dont drive. And if one more person asks if I’m still here or if she’s here yet I’m going to scream. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Teakind Sat 01-May-21 08:54:25

I’m 37+5 and thought things were kicking off yesterday (cramping/tightenings every 8/10 minutes) but it’s all stopped now. It’s very unnerving! I have two little ones to look after so no chance for rest.

The reflux is horrible isn’t it! I keep waking up chocking on it which is a very rude awakening. Baby feels like it wants to fall out if I stand up for longer than 5 minutes too.

We are all in the home stretch though!

Teakind Sat 01-May-21 08:55:24

@Jade86 I’ve got GD too. The thought of normal food being so close makes the wait harder I think!

Catlover8926 Sat 01-May-21 09:05:21

Baby is big so they only want me to go to 39 weeks. I’m still debating between c section and induction and need to make a decision soon. Anyone have any experiences?

Jade86 Sat 01-May-21 09:12:46

@Teakind totally, I wasn’t diagnosed until 36 weeks, and my tolerances are changing too, I just want to eat all the chocolate. Then trying to eat healthy and finding all these veg and fruit have carbs etc is mind blowing. Hopefully not much longer, hoping to get my induction brought forward don’t think I can cope with another 2-3 weeks.

AyyX Sat 01-May-21 09:13:57

Hey everyone, I’m 38+6 today smile
Been going to the toilet (#2) a lot in the last couple days and keep thinking it’s a sign of labour.. but nothing yet. Don’t think I’ve been having Braxton Hicks?
Also tired and running around with a toddler 😩 most of the time it hurts to walk from the pressure..
my first was 11 days late, hopefully this one comes on time or earlier.

@Catlover8926 I was supposed to get induction with my first but they said I’ve already dilated by 2cm so they ended up giving me sweeps then after they put me on the hormone drip (horrendous contractions)

Teakind Sat 01-May-21 09:15:34

@Catlover8926 I was induced at 40 weeks with my DS as he was measuring big. Induction took a couple of days but once they broke my waters, my labour was just over two hours! No stitches needed and he was 9lb5oz.

Personally, I’d go for induction over c section as it’s major surgery and I didn’t want to not be able to lift or drive for 6 weeks.

Catlover8926 Sat 01-May-21 09:19:21

@AyyX the drip is what worries me. My first labour was long but not horrendous and I worry I’d need an epidural for induction with the drip. I’ve been thinking once the epidural is in maybe a c section wouldn’t be so bad because my partner could be with me but maybe I need to re-think that!

AyyX Sat 01-May-21 09:22:24

@Catlover8926 yeah I tried to hold out and not use the epidural but in the end I had to have it because the contractions were so painful!
If it was me I think I would choose induction over csection because a csection takes a while to recover and I wouldn’t be able to lift my toddler up or do much, but if you have help and think it’s best for you then that’s fine too! Good luck xx

Catlover8926 Sat 01-May-21 10:33:04

@Teakind I’ve been waiting hoping my waters would just burst but no such luck! Hopefully you aren’t far off if you’ve had proper spaced out contractions daffodil I’ve been losing my mucus plug for weeks and keep hoping it will start something but nothing yet

BeeMakesTea Tue 04-May-21 08:56:57

Anyone had any progress? I’ve been having more tightenings and losing mucus plug (but not bloody) but not much else to report. I’m 39+5 today and getting impatient!
@Catlover8926 I don’t have experience of either induction or c section but with my first I did have to have the drip - I only had it for pushing stage once I was fully dilated so not sure if it’s worse if you have it earlier on or for longer but I didn’t find it too bad compared to my ‘natural’ contractions, and I just had gas & air with it (although was first baby so not much to compare to!).

Catlover8926 Tue 04-May-21 09:04:59

@BeeMakesTea no progress here at all, I’ve tried everything at home and it’s made no difference so looks like I’ll be having a section at some point in the next few weeks.-

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in