Talk

Advanced search

Nexplanon implant

(6 Posts)
SavannahBentley Tue 23-Feb-21 17:28:16

So I have had the implant for over three years now (they last for three years)
I really want to have another baby now and I am ready to start trying.
However my doctors won’t take it out until JUNE!
as it’s expired I’m not sure I will be able to fall pregnant while it still being in or not? As I’ve read they can sometimes work up to 4 years
What’s everyone’s experience?
Has anyone taken them out themselves?

OP’s posts: |
Chelyanne Tue 23-Feb-21 17:41:54

I wouldn't try taking it out yourself. They get surrounded by a lot of tissue and can take a fair bit of effort to take out. Mine hurt for days after extraction.
You can try asking a sexal health clinic for removal, not sure how they are operating during covid though. I did this as my doctors refused to take mine out when it was causing me lots of problems, it'd been in less than a year so they we're not happy.

Disressingtimes Tue 23-Feb-21 18:13:10

They are taken out in our practice after you are injected with a local anaesthetic and they make a slit in your arm with a scalpel. I don’t imagine it is something you would be able to attempt at home!
Try SHC as pp suggests.

Dyra Tue 23-Feb-21 19:58:21

I had mine taken out recently at a sexual health clinic as my GP no longer has a qualified practitioner trained to perform the procedure. It was only 10-14 days to wait for an appointment. Definitely don't try to take it out yourself

Playdoughcaterpillar Tue 23-Feb-21 20:01:05

I take these out. Sometimes it's hard even with all the right equipment and the experience. Pls don't try yourself. If you can't get appt at sexual health clinic then ask GP again. Waiting till June is unacceptable and they can work for longer than 3y so may definitely make it harder for you to get pregnant.

pbdr Tue 23-Feb-21 20:19:56

You are very unlikely to fall pregnant until it has been removed, but that is a very long time to wait. Try your local sexual health clinic, and if no luck try speaking nicely with your GP surgery again to see if there is anything more they can do. If you really can't get it removed there then you could always look into private options for removal (can cost up to a few hundred £s but if you are desperate enough...).
I do implant insertions/removals and would always do everything possible to fit someone in ASAP if I knew they wanted it out to TTC.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in