Page 4 | FTM bassinet/ mini crib question

(87 Posts)
luxxlisbon Tue 19-Jan-21 14:26:56

I live in a small flat so I'm trying to find something that lasts the full 6 months that baby will be in our bedroom without it being too big and bulky. It seems like a moses basket might be out as I would still need something bigger before 6 months, and the full cot in our room wouldn't work so I've been looking at bassinets and cradles but then I came across this mini cot.

www.zarahome.com/gb/kids/furniture-&-decoration/furniture/mini-cot-with-liner-c1020264587p302055549.html?ct=true

Can anyone tell me roughly how long you think this size would be appropriate to use for? Obviously can't say for certain but I will likely have a baby that is slightly on the smaller side.
The dimensions are 79 x 77.8 x 54.1 cm

Google says you should still get a year or two out of a mini cot but i'm unsure if that is for a bigger one.
This would be ideal because we could use it in our room, then wheel it into the babies bedroom after and then transition to a more longterm cot to bed when she is about 12-18 months.

Is there a reason this is a terrible idea?

OP’s posts: |
luxxlisbon Thu 21-Jan-21 10:07:05

BertieBotts

It had sharp corners (!) and the mattress was beyond shit, it just curled up when you put a sheet on it which caused it to shrink away from the edges and made a huge gap I thought was hazardous.

Definitely good to know!
It's so hard to know if I would feel comfortable with a cosleeper set up in general. The idea is lovely but I have an awkward ottoman bed and I wonder if I would just be constantly worried about how secure it was and therefore not be able to sleep that well.

NameChange30 Thu 21-Jan-21 10:13:48

I suppose it depends where you are on the anxiety v sleep deprivation scale, but I've been so exhausted (with both babies) that I've had no trouble sleeping with them in bed with me, let alone in the cosleeper crib grin Obviously check the cosleeper is compatible with your bed, and attach it correctly, but provided those conditions are met, they are safe, and very convenient IMO.

You're not committing to it anyway (you can always use it as a standalone crib) you're just keeping the option open.

Caspianberg Thu 21-Jan-21 10:36:13

www.babybayuk.org/babybay-maxi-advance
You can add a side to these as well from accessories.

NameChange30 Thu 21-Jan-21 10:41:50

Ah, well found, that one is bigger so does actually tick all the boxes!

NameChange30 Thu 21-Jan-21 10:45:58

www.babybayuk.org/babybay-models

www.babybayuk.org/picking-the-perfect-babybay

I want one now grin

luxxlisbon Thu 21-Jan-21 10:53:35

@NameChange30 Thanks! Looks good and a good option since you can do both and it can be used in different ways after.
I have an ikea Malm ottoman bed so I need to research whether it will work with that, seems like it might not as the bed has a lip under the mattress.

Advertisement

BertieBotts Thu 21-Jan-21 10:58:55

No, the BabyBay ones don't work with a lip. You need the ones with a U-shaped stand on the floor instead of a leg. It also rules out everything wooden. I did have a wooden converted cot for my first baby with a lip bed but I pushed the mattress across to plug the gap and put rolled up towels down the other side.

But as the others said you can use BabyBaby as a standalone cot.

NameChange30 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:02:49

Thanks but credit to @Caspianberg for finding the bigger one. Hope it'll work with your bed 🤞

Fwiw there is a small gap between the mattress on my bed and the Snuzpod mattress, I stressed about it with DC1 but I'm more chilled about it with DC2 grin

Difficultusername Thu 21-Jan-21 11:09:02

The mamas and papas petite cot that has been linked a few times is actually really good- I had it with my first and it fitted easily next to the bed, or could go at the foot of bed if you prefer. Sheets wise normal travel cot size fit it- you wouldn't have to get the mamas and papas ones. I had nice travel cot ones from Asda and Dunelm that fit it well.

TitsOot4Xmas Thu 21-Jan-21 12:14:15

luxxlisbon

*@NameChange30* thanks for perspective. I'll bookmark it and see if I come across anything 90x50+.

I'm not too worried if it can last until about 6 months as she will have her own room and a full cot with no size restrictions on that, it is just finding something for her to be in while in our room that is compact enough to fit but not quite as short term as a moses basket.

I'll keep those dims in mind when I'm looking, it is such a minefield looking online when they obviously give dimensions but when you've never bought one before you don't really know what they mean/ can't imagine the scale!

Just to warn you, they don’t magically sleep in their own rooms from 6 months. You’ll have frequent times when they need to be with you (teething/poorly/sleep regressions). If you can’t be with them in their room, and there is nowhere for them in your room the struggle will be very real.

TitsOot4Xmas Thu 21-Jan-21 12:16:55

luxxlisbon

*@NameChange30* Thanks! Looks good and a good option since you can do both and it can be used in different ways after.
I have an ikea Malm ottoman bed so I need to research whether it will work with that, seems like it might not as the bed has a lip under the mattress.

Ah. The shin bruiser. grin

NameChange30 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:20:49

"Just to warn you, they don’t magically sleep in their own rooms from 6 months. You’ll have frequent times when they need to be with you (teething/poorly/sleep regressions). If you can’t be with them in their room, and there is nowhere for them in your room the struggle will be very real."

Absolutely. When DC1 went into his own room, we had space for a single bed in there, which helped a lot, and he still came in with us sometimes (for a long time he slept in his cot in his room until about 5am and then wouldn't go back to sleep and stay asleep unless we held him or brought him into bed with us).

DC2's room is smaller, no space for an adult bed as well as the cot, so once she's in there we might do a lot of uncomfortable snoozing in the armchair if she doesn't sleep well confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in