BV in Pregnancy

(6 Posts)
MintGreenLife Wed 13-Jan-21 11:27:10

Hi all,

I'm 11 weeks + 3 days, and after spotting last week I was seen by EPU. Was told baby was fine and had even gotten ahead of dates by 4 days, so growing well. I saw a GP afterwards who did an internal examination, found I had a polyp on my cervix, and took a swap. While that's concerning enough, I've just had a call to say I have bacterial vaginosis too!

I've never had it before and it seems it's common in pregnancy. I was told on the phone it would need to be treated with antibiotics and to wait to hear from my GP, was also told it shouldn't cause any issues with the baby. I've looked on the NHS website and it says 'If you develop bacterial vaginosis in pregnancy, there's a small chance of complications, such as premature birth or miscarriage.

But BV causes no problems in the majority of pregnancies.'

So naturally I'm now freaking out. Anyone had this and everything turned out to be OK?! Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
MintGreenLife Wed 13-Jan-21 11:27:43

*meant took a swab!

StuntNun Wed 13-Jan-21 11:28:56

I had it with my second pregnancy. I needed two courses of vaginal antibiotics and it cleared up. As the infection gets worse it causes a fair amount of discomfort so I'm not sure it would be wise to leave it untreated. The rest of my pregnancy was fine.

MintGreenLife Wed 13-Jan-21 11:32:16

@StuntNun thanks for getting back to me. I want to get treatment asap, but am worrying as it's already been 5 days since my swab, and from what I've read it can easily come back after antibiotics. It's just another thing to worry about I guess. Glad to hear everything turned out OK for you x

StuntNun Wed 13-Jan-21 11:33:51

My infection did take two courses of antibiotics but it was already pretty bad before I started treatment. If you don't have any pain then I'm sure one course of antibiotics will sort it out. I had to have an internal exam to get the diagnosis and it was absolutely excruciating.

MintGreenLife Wed 13-Jan-21 11:46:31

@StuntNun no pain, seem to have normal pregnancy discharge. Hopefully it's been caught early and will resolve itself fairly quickly. Thanks for your help x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in