Pregnant with Hydrosalpinx

(4 Posts)
GoodBurger Tue 15-Dec-20 12:04:47

I have a hydrosalpinx on one side and I’m 5 weeks pregnant. I was due to have this removed surgically but my consultant said there was no harm in TTC in the meantime as the surgery could be pushed back until after delivery and the risk of miscarriage or ectopic was not significantly increased.

I’ve since consulted Dr Google and I’m terrified. I feel like I’m almost certain to have either a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. I have a scan next week but just feel so sad.

Has anyone had this and had a successful pregnancy? I’m confused as to why my consultant felt the risk was minimal when everything I’m reading suggests otherwise?

OP’s posts: |
mathis2006 Sat 19-Dec-20 08:26:45

Hi,

I had an ectopic 16 years ago. It caused a blocked tube and an hydrosalpinx in that tube. I went on to conceive fine, 4 times. I had 2 boys and now pregnant with my third. I know it can be scary, but if the hydrosalpinx is not leaking in the uterine cavity ( probably isn't as you made it past implantation) then you should be fine. I was also due to have it removed before falling pregnant.
Why don't you request an early scan? If you have a blocked tube then it should be offered at 6 weeks to rule out ectopic. Although, as you are already 8 weeks it is unlikely your pregnancy is ectopic, you would already be in excrutiating pain.
So don't worry too much( I know its hard), it will most likely all be fine. Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

ivfbeenbusy Sat 19-Dec-20 13:42:55

I'm surprised your doctor said to continue TTC
As it's well Known hydrosalpinx can be toxic to a new pregnancy and can cause miscarriage as well as cause ectopic pregnancies (sorry to be honest about worst case scenario). My IVF clinic insisted hydrosalpinx had to be removed prior to having treatment for this reason.

Agree though that if you've had successful implantation and it's definitely in your uterus and not tube then the risk should be reduced as it musnt be leaking - I'd monitor symptoms though in case of ectopic x

GoodBurger Sat 19-Dec-20 21:22:14

Thanks for your replies. I’m only 5w6d and due to have a scan next week to find out if there is a baby and where it is. I’m very nervous but at least I’ll know

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in