6 weeks + 1 - Low mood

(5 Posts)
sunshinecitrus1 Fri 11-Dec-20 09:29:34

Hi Everyone!

I am 6 weeks + 1 today and have noticed a shift in my mood over the last couple of days. Up until this point, I have been very overwhelmed and anxious since finding out I am pregnant and now, I seem to have low mood. Anxiety seems to have subsided for now. I think I know that all of these emotions are linked to my hormones being all over the place but I feel like I haven’t had a chance to feel excited. Since finding out I am pregnant I don’t feel that I have been excited once and do not feel that connection to being pregnant like I thought I would feel. It makes me feel guilty as I know how lucky I am.

I have spoken with my OH who is being very supportive and I have my booking appointment on a Christmas Eve so I can speak to the midwife then. I am planning to tell a couple of friends my news next week which will also be more support for me (one friend has had a baby already and the other is 20 weeks pregnant now).

Can anyone relate? This will be my first baby so everything is very new to me! xo

OP’s posts: |
Mimba1 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:19:15

I think this is completely normal. Everyone reacts differently and you have loads of hormones in your system. I suffered with anxiety and depression before getting PG so may not be a typical case but I have definitely seen my moods shifting for no apparent reason and I am never going to be excitedly choosing colours for the nursery! It's not what I imagined it would be but that's OK. Don't feel guilty - this is your pregnancy and there's no right or wrong way to feel. It's great that your OH is supporting you. If you think you need some more support ask for it - your GP can help.

Bluefairy88 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:51:40

Hi there,

I am coming up to 8 weeks pregnant now, but like you around the 6 week mark, I noticed a real drop in my mood, I just felt kind of numb, like I couldn’t experience happiness or excitement and also felt very tearful. This lasted a few days I think & then I just seemed to come out of it. Although it felt very ‘real’ at the time, I just kept telling myself it’s hormones and I’ll come out of it soon. Of course everyone is different though & if you do start feeling very bad then talk to your GP or midwife. At the time I was feeling bad, I thought I was probably getting depression & would need to talk to the doctor... but now I’m further along I feel more normal again. Hope this is of some help- be kind to yourself and don’t put to much pressure on yourself to be feeling a certain way- you’re going through so many changes right now. Xx

FTMF30 Fri 11-Dec-20 18:53:20

This is normal. It's hard to feel as though that's the case when you see nothing bit elation when other people fall pregnant.

I had extreme low mood in my first pregnancy but perked up around my second trimester. I'm now pregnant again and suffering low mood at nearly 8 weeks. It's being made worse by a splitting headache, nausea and extreme fatigue. I'm really hoping it all pisses off by 2nd trimester.

It's a big deal to find your pregnant (even when planned). There's the sudden reality of everything changing and no going back. Raging hormones are also to blame. You're not alone 💐.

sunshinecitrus1 Fri 11-Dec-20 23:20:21

@Mimba1 Thank you! I think we all expect to feel like people in the movies but in reality, hormones mess with us! It sounds as though you have accepted how you feel regardless which is great instead of expecting yourself to feel a certain way smile

@Bluefairy88 This is really reassuring thank you. Yep I have been tearful too and it has crossed my mind whether I am getting depression. I mean I’ve only felt really low for a couple of days so far but it’s hard when you’re feeling like it, it feels like forever! I will definitely have a chat with my midwife when I meet her in a couple of weeks. I will try not to put too much pressure on myself smile All the best with your pregnancy!

@FTMF30 I totally agree, everyone seems to be ecstatic over pregnancy and I expected to be the same with mine (even when the pregnancy was planned too!) but my hormones are causing chaos! Sorry to hear you are suffering with low mood too along with other symptoms. I haven’t been sick yet but I do feel nauseous occasionally and I am shattered. Let’s hope the second trimester will be a little easier on us. Thanks for making me feel like I’m not alone grin

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in