Deciding whether to have a sweep

(17 Posts)
bleachblondemom Mon 23-Nov-20 20:17:07

My midwife said I can have a sweep next Monday, I’ll be 39+5 with first baby. So I’m thinking about whether to accept or not. I really want to avoid being induced but I don’t want to ‘force’ anything to happen yet if the baby isn’t quite ready, does that make sense?
I might ask her to do her usual examination & measurements first and see how things are going. At my last appointment the baby wasn’t engaged so if it’s still not quite engaged by Monday I might just leave it as it’s obviously not ready yet. But I have been measuring on the 90th to the 95th centile so if my bump measurement is quite big again I might say yes.
I’d be more inclined to have a sweep if I’d already gone past 40 weeks but my next appointment after this wouldn’t be until 40+5 which might be getting on a bit!
Does this sound like a reasonable way of thinking, or shall I just go for it?

OP’s posts: |
Aquamarine1029 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:19:38

I wouldn't do a sweep or induce unless absolutely necessary, and it's not in your case. My daughter was born at 40 +6, 9lbs, 5oz, perfectly healthy. She just needed a bit more time.

Bringonspring Mon 23-Nov-20 20:20:43

I had one with both of mine, nothing. I actually think that ‘sweeps’ will be one of those things that is consign to old wives tales in a few years. They will laugh at us.

It’s uncomfortable also. Both my babies were 2 weeks late and I hate this expression but ‘baby comes when babies ready’

It seems ages but you will be holding your baby by December. Best feeling ever, I know that every day seems like a lifetime though xxx

bleachblondemom Mon 23-Nov-20 20:30:39

@Aquamarine1029 yeah I don’t think I necessary ‘need’ one but I’m wary of going too far over and ending up being induced which I reeeeally don’t want. But I also don’t want to mess with the natural flow of things too much. I’ll probably ask MW to have a feel of my bump first, see what baby is up to in there and if they are further along than I think.

OP’s posts: |
Ilovesugar Mon 23-Nov-20 20:30:50

I had an induction and I would do anything to avoid another. I would take sweeps daily from 37weeks if they let me, that’s how much I really don’t want an induction

bleachblondemom Mon 23-Nov-20 20:32:45

@Bringonspring MW actually said on the phone ‘if you’ve been having any tightenings then a sweep might help things along’ but I’ve had absolutely zero signs of baby being close to coming. No cramps, no back pain, I don’t even think I’ve had braxton hicks! It’s probably something I won’t be able to decide until the actual day.

OP’s posts: |
Changedmynameagain1 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:33:07

Sweep at 37 weeks with my 2nd , she arrived the next day.

Felt the same as a smear test and clearly did the job...

I’d have another one again, I’d go for it.


rottiemum88 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:37:50

Tbh even the midwife told me that whilst they offer sweeps still, she didn't believe they really had much effect unless baby was ready to come anyway. I had 4 sweeps in total over a period of a week and a half and DS ended up arriving when I was 41+2, so none of them made any difference 🤷🏼‍♀️

JOLLYUK Mon 23-Nov-20 20:42:26

I had a sweep at 38 weeks with son 2. My midwife said she had never had a failed sweep! That was at 3.45 in the afternoon... my waters broke at around 10.30pm and contractions started. Son arrived at 12.30am and I had 6 minutes written down as my official active labour time so I would say it was a good experience for me!

baubled Mon 23-Nov-20 20:42:46

I had 2 sweeps, the first was bang on 40 weeks and it was very very uncomfortable but I put this down to baby really not being ready at all, it did nothing. Had another at 41+2 and again, really uncomfortable but I did ask her to give it a "good go" because I was getting closer and closer to Christmas Day 🤣 - started to loose my plug that night and I was in labour by the next morning.

In all honesty, I had a rough birth, DS was back to back before getting stuck because he wasn't straight down during labour, they said he was head butting my pelvis. I always wonder if it was because the smear forced me in to labour when he wasn't ready, obviously this is just my thoughts and it's probably not true at all but given the option again I don't think I would take it!

bleachblondemom Mon 23-Nov-20 20:48:13

@baubled that’s what I’m torn between, wanting the baby to come but not wanting to force it. I’ve got a whole week so maybe if it gives me some indication of being ready by then I’ll do it.

OP’s posts: |
RosaBaby2 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:57:31

I had one with my first baby but it didn't help and I was induced at 42 weeks.

I refused with my second and he came by himself 6 days late.

Sarahvill Mon 23-Nov-20 20:59:47

I had 2 sweeps neither worked and went into labour 10 days past due date

40weekswithno2 Mon 23-Nov-20 22:24:08

I think you commented on my thread op. I declined my sweep today at 39+5. There's really no evidence they actually do anything and they can have negative consequences. I may accept one at 40+5 if I haven't given birth by then.

Campervan69 Mon 23-Nov-20 22:26:09

I had sweeps with all mine because they all went over and I wanted to avoid an induction. Worked every time.

40weekswithno2 Mon 23-Nov-20 22:30:13

Also op, with my first I had absolutely no signs of labour until I went into labour, he wasn't even engaged. Labour started at 40+7 and I had him the following day.
The vast majority of women give birth before 42 weeks and don't need hurrying along to do so.

bleachblondemom Mon 23-Nov-20 23:27:26

@40weekswithno2 yep that was me smile at the moment I’m thinking of following in your footsteps and saying no at 39+5 and yes a week later if nothing is happening

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in