Talk

Advanced search

Baby projectile vomited - when to be worried?

(4 Posts)
theresaplaceforus Sun 22-Nov-20 17:59:37

My baby is 6 weeks old tomorrow - since having jaundice and being hospitalised in her first week she has been in good health. Her weight was low so we combination feed. She’s just had a feed - formula, 120ml which is still under the recommended amount for her age (150ml) her feed about 3 hours was a breast feed she seemed fine, was dozing off while I was holding her upright and all of a sudden projectile vomited and it flew across the room and went everywhere. Bit scary. Should I worry? See this as a one off?

OP’s posts: |
Esmeralda1988 Sun 22-Nov-20 18:02:18

My baby has done similar, it's quite shocking the sheer volume of it and how far it goes. I think it's because the muscle that closes the stomach isn't developed yet so things can just sort of overflow. As a one off its probably nothing to worry about but I think (by no means an expert!) that as a regular thing it could indicate reflux, my friend has a very sicky baby with it.

Ilovesugar Sun 22-Nov-20 18:22:14

My LO did the same, I spoke to the HV as I was concerned as they did it a few times. HV said if baby is happy and not projectile vomiting loads then don’t worry. They did say if I was worried then speak to my GP

blindmansbluff Sun 22-Nov-20 18:34:22

I wouldn't worry, my eldest used to do it every so often and would be starving again a short while after. I put it down to the milk sitting funny in his stomach and when the wind came up it brought the milk with it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in