Talk

Advanced search

Private Nipt Test

(8 Posts)
Hummingbirdsarang Sun 22-Nov-20 09:44:04

I had the iona test done at 10 weeks and it came back low risk and I even know the gender. Just wondering if I now even need to do the nhs combined screening tests as it's less accurate than iona? Has anyone had a nipt test, if so, what did you decide?

OP’s posts: |
Nimsay1 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:54:50

That's great news about your test. When you go for your 12 week scan you need to tell them about the results as they will override any screens the NHS do, but they will still want to do the blood test as it tests for PAPP-A levels, which NIPT doesn't.

OverTheRubicon Sun 22-Nov-20 09:57:17

I declined the nipt test on this basis, it seemed wasteful. they have a script they need to run through on declining etc but it was fine

Hummingbirdsarang Sun 22-Nov-20 10:16:01

Never hear of papp a levels? Thanks I will mention it! Yeah didn't want to be wasteful either to an overburdened nhs

Hummingbirdsarang Sun 22-Nov-20 10:17:13

I had 10 % feotal blood at 10 weeks which was normal, is this to do with papp a?

Nimsay1 Sun 22-Nov-20 11:10:15

Hummingbirdsarang

I had 10 % feotal blood at 10 weeks which was normal, is this to do with papp a?

PAPP A is to do with the functioning of the placenta and it isn't tested with NIPT tests.

ivfbabymomma1 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:21:28

I did the test, purely because it was included in my ivf though!

Meomeomeo Sun 22-Nov-20 14:42:16

I wouldn’t skip the 12 weeks screening on nipt alone. I had harmony done but was recommended to still attend 12 weeks scan. Where I did my harmony, I got my nuchal scan included anyway so I could have forgone the nhs screening. At the 12 weeks combined screening, they check for more than just probabilities for trisomy 18/21/23. They check for other defects eg spinal bifida etc.
Do let nhs know your results and they can take it from there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in